People's perception of a 10-string

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
soltirefa

People's perception of a 10-string

Post by soltirefa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Do you ever get comments from non-guitar people, "Oh, that neck is so big and wide. It must be very hard to play."

I always explain that really the feel of the neck is just like a 6-string, that the spacing is not different. And while I may fret the 7th string occasionally I am not reaching farther than usual in most cases. What's hard is just having so many strings there, it can throw you off, especially the plucking hand.

Would you concur?

David Norton

Re: People's perception of a 10-string

Post by David Norton » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Oh, heavens, where to start?

One of the primary reasons I gave up 10-string was "people's perceptions". I got tired of people coming up to me and making inane comments about the neck width. What irritated me most was the people (guys, usually) who said "I'm just standing here waiting for you to play some fast licks on those bass strings", followed by an intentionally awkward air guitar pantomime.

Pianists rarely use the full range of the keyboard, either, but the simile doesn't seem to carry across to the 10-string.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 pm

No, But I do have a question about how those wide neck 7,8,10 string guitars are affected by such a huge log attached to their box. I think it takes away or changes from the resonance. Any opinions out there?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 pm
No, But I do have a question about how those wide neck 7,8,10 string guitars are affected by such a huge log attached to their box. I think it takes away or changes from the resonance. Any opinions out there?
I think you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. Some luthiers with experience can make a multi-string that will not be affected much by a larger neck.

This was discussed in a different thread in this sub-section. Do you think this 8-string is lacking from its larger neck?

https://youtu.be/hD2AbtAvJA0

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:28 am

soltirefa wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 pm
I think you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. Some luthiers with experience can make a multi-string that will not be affected much by a larger neck.

This was discussed in a different thread in this sub-section. Do you think this 8-string is lacking from its larger neck?

https://youtu.be/hD2AbtAvJA0

Other than a mushy 8th string, no it sounds pretty great.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:22 am

I find the 10 string guitar to be the equivalent to K2. Many mortals can climb Everest but it takes a mountaineering stud (male or female) to climb K2.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”