Solo 10-string performance today.

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
David Norton

Solo 10-string performance today.

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

Today is a Red Circle Day for me: for the first time EVER, I gave did a full-size solo performance, from memory, on a 10-string guitar (Yepes tuning). It was at a local Farmer's Market here in SLC, and only a handful of people were actively listening. The audience involvement wasn't my focus, it was on playing the thing. Moreover, it's a 660mm scale, which as many of you know is something of anathema to me, given my oft-stated preference for 640 sizing.
0994.JPG
0992.jpg
0993.jpg

PROGRAM:

ANON: Romanza d'Amor

BACH: Prelude BWV 999
VILLA-LOBOS: Prelude #3, Etude #1

TARREGA: Prelude V, Lagrima, Adelita, Pavana, Recuerdos de la Alhambra

MUDARRA: Gallarda, Fantasia X
NARVAEZ: Guardame Las Vacas (both sets of variations)

CHILESOTTI: Two Lute Pieces

SANZ: Pavanas, Folias, Canarios

CARCASSI: Etudes #3, #1, #8, and #2
SOR: Etude in b minor (Op. 35 #22) and Minuet & Trio from Grand Sonata Op. 25

WILLIAMS: Classical Gas

NORTON: Celtic Images (four-movement suite)

VILLA-LOBOS: Prelude #1, Choro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Norton on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

soltirefa

Re: Solo 10-string performance today.

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:41 am

Wow, that is very cool. And that's a pretty good list of pieces you know. Congratulations. Looked like a nice day out, too.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:46 am

Nice day, but it was 97* already at 10:30 AM when I started. Thank heaven for pop-up shade canopies!!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:52 am

Congrats David! Was the tuning stable outdoors? (10 of those babies to start wandering, instead of the usual 6!!)

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 am

Holy moly that's a big neck! (And the guitar's is quite big too. ;-) boom boom)

Congratulations on your first full-sized solo outing! How did the French polish fare in that heat? :shock:

Great programme and I think starting with Romance is exactly what I would do - both to "ground" the nerves and also because everyone knows it whether they play or like guitar music or not.

How did you find the experience, David? Were the audience more receptive to certain pieces over others?

Mr. Rory will be über disappointed that you didn't play Leyenda though. Be prepared for his wrath! :mrgreen:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:47 am

markodarko wrote:Holy moly that's a big neck! (And the guitar's is quite big too. ;-) boom boom)

Congratulations on your first full-sized solo outing! How did the French polish fare in that heat? :shock:

Great programme and I think starting with Romance is exactly what I would do - both to "ground" the nerves and also because everyone knows it whether they play or like guitar music or not.

How did you find the experience, David? Were the audience more receptive to certain pieces over others?

Mr. Rory will be über disappointed that you didn't play Leyenda though. Be prepared for his wrath! :mrgreen:
Clarification: this was my first solo concert with the 10-string. I've done a great many solo performances previously, but with 6-string. I've used the 10-string (or 8-string) for partial programmes, never just all by itself.

The tuning was ghastly in the outdoors and heat, constant adjustments were needed. The audience (such as they were) responded with polite applause at the appropriate times, and I sold two CDs. I only got $1.00 in tips, though. A bunch of Cheapskate Charlies there for sure!!

As for Leyenda? Love the piece, I play it often (usually in a set of Cadiz - Capricho Catalan - Leyenda) , but just didn't this time. The whole program ran about 90 minutes, including tuning adjustments, spoken introductions to the pieces, and pauses for water. What really surprised me was that I could physically do it for that long, on such a big beastie. Quite honestly, my rear end grew weary of the folding chair long before my hands grew weary of playing.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:49 am

riffmeister wrote:Congrats David! Was the tuning stable outdoors? (10 of those babies to start wandering, instead of the usual 6!!)
Tuning was just nightmarish in the heat. It all stabilized after about 20 minutes, but the intonation was never 100% settled in.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 am

David_Norton wrote:Nice day, but it was 97* already at 10:30 AM when I started. Thank heaven for pop-up shade canopies!!
Congratulations! At that temperature, you should however have worn a singlet and show off your ripping biceps.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:31 pm

By way of contrast, here's a photo of me which I scanned from GFA Soundboard's Summer 1989 edition, with the same make/model of 10-string:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Here is some brief video of the performance at the Farmer's Market. This is a compilation video, highlighting the various vendors. I am playing in the first 50 seconds and again in the last 55 seconds (Sanz's Pavana, and the first bit of his Folias). In between is a snippet of Paul Boruff​, the man who recorded our CD. Paul is a very creative jazz player, he's making up the lyrics as he plays just by observing what's happening around him.

Youtube
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:01 pm

David, impressive as always, but a 660? I use a combination of advil and cherries for pain and inflammation.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:42 pm

bear wrote:David, impressive as always, but a 660? I use a combination of advil and cherries for pain and inflammation.
That's the thing I don't quite understand. You know (better than most) of my preference for 640 size, yet really this 10 string is not all THAT hard to play. It took a week or two of stretching exercises, chromatic octaves and such, to get the LH stretch span working. But it has very soft action in the nut position, and as I said above, I was able to play for close to 90 minutes straight without hand fatigue.

(Rump fatigue from sitting on a folding chair? Different matter!! :lol: )
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm

David_Norton wrote:By way of contrast, here's a photo of me which I scanned
I say - bring back the beard, David! Although perhaps not grow it as long as the dude in the video you posted.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

wevard

Post by wevard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

At some point I got curious as to how playing a 10-stringer would be, but I haven't made the effort to find one thinking it may be tough to adjust to the much broader neck and become stricter when it comes to muting strings, plus other changes in hand positions and further development of right-hand technique. You mentioned you've played partial programs with the 10-strings guitar, from which I assume you played the other part with a 6-strings one. Can you do this because you're a master of both instruments or is this switching not that as big an issue as I think?

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:06 pm

wevard wrote: Can you do this because you're a master of both instruments or is this switching not that as big an issue as I think?
Option #2. Once you are familiar with 6 string, it stays with you.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”