ibanez 8 String Classical

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
RobMacKillop

Re: ibanez 8 String Classical

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Here's a soundfile I just made a few minutes ago, of the famous Minuet by Christian Petzold (we used to think it was by Bach). The tuning is mainly a Cm chord: eb c g Eb C G D C

https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/pet ... ing-guitar

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Dear Rob,

Congratulations ! I love the idea of playing these two menuets as a pair, with a da capo; that makes a very interesting contrast — and quite a lenghty piece !
Now,would you please be so kind to post a recording of the Chaconne in D minor in, say, the next two hours ? (just joking :lol: )

All the best,
Gilles

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Oh, the Chaconne was too easy! Seriously, though, these two minuets do make a good movement. I keep meaning to track down the suite they came from.
They work well on the 8-string, if a little low in register. I don't like the strings on the guitar, the basses I mean. Too thick and squeaky. I'll have to try something else. But the tuning can work if you have long enough fingers to reach the seventh and eighth strings, while sometimes also fingering the first or second.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Well, I totally agree with the Chaconne being too easy; that's the very reason why I don't play it...

Joking asides, maybe you should give a try at the Hannabach "silver special" additionnal strings : I tried the bass "C" tuned to E (to achieve a standard tuning) on my guitalele, and I'm very satisfied with the sound and the enduring quality.
I suppose you're already aware of an 8 strings set by La Bella (never tried them myself, but they have good reviews).

Regards,
Gilles

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks. I'll get around to it some day...

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi dear RobMcKillop,

Well, almost one year without news about your experiment with 8-Strings (I know you've been quite busy with the mandolin and the tanbur).
I'm interested in your feedback because I may very soon purchase one, which I plan to tune with a low B (8) and low D (7), just as an 8 course lute. I play mostly baroque and I've come across many intresting transcriptions in that tuning, but any insights or advices from you would be most welcomed.
I know you have tried other exotic tunings with your Ibanez, that's why I'm asking.
Anyway, I'd love to read more about what you figured out of the pros and cons of that strange beast.
Thanks in advance, regards,
Gilles

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, I did do this video:

https://youtu.be/DnT5cAvUHWg

before selling it. It's a great guitar for the price - can't be beaten. It's just that, after playing lutes for twenty years, it just didn't feel right playing lute music on it. It was always just an experiment for me, and although it sounds ok on the video, and was easy to play, I just wasn't enamoured enough with the idea of playing lute music on it.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello Rob,

I'm picking up this thread (though it seems to have expired) since I'm a bit of a similar mind: last year I bought an Ibanez 7-string guitar from presumably the same series as your 8-string instrument belonged to. My opinion: for that price it was a good bargain, and it allows me to experiment with different tunings. For a start, it allowed me an insight into multistring music (lute) in general, and it led me to buy a 10-string guitar and a Baroque lute as well... So it was well worth. I long to have an 8-string version as well (one extra string!!!) but the advantage is that with only 7 one must absolutely get used to economizing, which is a handy skill. Also, I stumbled on a few different tunings, which are very useful when I play baroque music.

The sound I got is a bit thin for a good classical instrument, but all in all, with all the extra sympathetic resonance of the strings, it's OK, and very suitable for baroque lute pieces. I wish it were a precious "master instrument", which it is not, unfortunately...

All the best,

Attila from Hungary :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello, Atilla The Hungarian :bye:

I'm cutting down on strings these days - I just bought a four-string bass guitar, and I'm loving playing it! One day I'll have an instrument with just one string :lol:

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

get individual bass strings from D'Addario: they make a .060" that tunes down to low A very nicely.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

attila57

Post by attila57 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Rob,
RobMacKillop wrote:Hello, Atilla The Hungarian :bye:

I'm cutting down on strings these days - I just bought a four-string bass guitar, and I'm loving playing it! One day I'll have an instrument with just one string :lol:
Another good way to economize... :lol:

The bass guitar is not a bad idea! It must be a really effective way to improve one's rest stroke. Still, I think, the baroque lute is superior...

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Agreed!

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”