Cemil Bey, Tanburi - Rast Zeybek Havasi

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
fazley

Re: Cemil Bey, Tanburi - Rast Zeybek Havasi

Post by fazley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 am

sxedio, I really enjoyed that. I do enjoy your choice of pieces, and the way you play them. :bravo: :merci:

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 am

Tubbers wrote:Kind of reminds me of Zorba The Greek and the scenery of Crete.
Yes!!!

A wonderfully cheerful piece :D

cagrinart

Post by cagrinart » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:04 pm

It made me happy to hear a familiar melody from the folk of my country. Your arrangement and playing are great. Thanks for sharing with us

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Cheers everyone. Cagrinart, from your city specifically! What I'm yet to figure out is whether this was composed by Cemil and then became a popular song, or whether it was first a popular song and then Cemil turned it into a piece of art music and recorded it.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

cagrinart

Post by cagrinart » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Hello sxedio,
After your question i made a little seach. Cemil bey was a innovative composer. He composed this piece. Rast is a form in turkish art music as sevillana or buleria in flamenco and rast zeybek havası is the name of the piece. After Cemil bey the piece became popular. Here is a link from wikipedia about him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamburi_Cemil_Bey

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Rast is a makam, the best translation for that word is "mode". Zeybek is a dance (and a rhythm), so that's more like Buleria etc. There are other words for particular compositional forms, e.g. peşrev, I'm not sure if this piece is strictly following one of those forms.

cagrinart

Post by cagrinart » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:24 pm

You are right sxedio. I could not express myself exactly. I wish my english was perfect. I am still studying. I am also not sure this piece wheather following one this makam but anyway it's fun to listen your interpretation. I saved it into my guitar mp3 file.
Best wishes.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 pm

flashforward 7 years and im replying: do you have other ottoman musical arrangements? can i have the pdf, it sounds lovely. I think rast fits well to the major scales. probably nihavent would fit well to minor scales. I may try to write a short informative post about turkish makams and classical pieces if there is interest in forum.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Tosunpasa, I'm by no means an expert on ottoman classical music, conveniently this piece has a second life as a greek popular song/dance, so I borrowed some of the harmonisation ideas as well as the even temperament license from there :). The pdf doesn't exist at the moment, I will try creating one but it will take me a while.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 pm

sxedio wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 am
Hi Tosunpasa, I'm by no means an expert on ottoman classical music, conveniently this piece has a second life as a greek popular song/dance, so I borrowed some of the harmonisation ideas as well as the even temperament license from there :). The pdf doesn't exist at the moment, I will try creating one but it will take me a while.
you did great with the arrangement, i always like traditional turkish/greek tunes on guitar (harmonized). Im hoping to do that one day in future. If it's hard to create a pdf please dont waste your time for me, its ok. I couldnt play it right now even if i had the pdf, im a beginner.

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”