Hellooo!! from Sussex, UK

mumfish

Hellooo!! from Sussex, UK

Post by mumfish » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Well, this is a bit embarrassing - I usually like to browse forums and keep quiet but here goes anyway!

I had classical lessons as a nipper in the late 1960s but found them a bit dull - I wanted to play Beatles, Kinks, anything but Sor. My teacher was a wonderful lady of advancing years who wore tweed suits, her hair in a bun, and smelt of lavender. She claimed top have taught Peter Frampton so I felt she might teach me some lead guitar. But no - she was a stickler for the rules and a true classical purist.

Having spent the last 50 years experimenting I have returned to classical and now find I really enjoy it! In fact, I'm now teaching guitar occasionally (having been made redundant and needing to earn a few bob).

I picked up a couple of lovely second-hand classical guitars on e - b a y (made by James Lister and Stephen Hill) and now only play with these.

The forum has been invaluable to me over the past few years and the time was right to join as a member. I look forward to being involved in such a great community and joining in with some of the threads.

Best wishes

Mumfish

oski79

Re: Hellooo!! from Sussex, UK

Post by oski79 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 am

Welcome to Delcamp, Mumfish!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:06 am

...so did you ever find out whether she had really taught Peter Frampton? That's a blast from the past. :lol: Welcome!

mumfish

Post by mumfish » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 am

Yes - she did! I found a bit online from Peter Frampton's biography which mentions the lady! He, apparently, has similar memories of Miss Graham to me! Thank you for the welcome message - it's nice to finally join the forums (which I've visited hundreds of times before registering!).

Return to “Introduce yourself”