New member on Martha's Vineyard

Daniel Waters

New member on Martha's Vineyard

Post by Daniel Waters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:59 am

Greetings to all. I live on a small island off Cape Cod, and am purely an amateur player. I studied classical guitar in college from 1973 to 1977, then graduated into the practical world of gainful employment, but have always enjoyed playing music for myself and friends. I grew up in Brazil, so naturally I also play bossa-nova.

There was a spell of about 20 years when I stopped playing music, partly because I became immersed in the world of martial arts and had to cut off my nails in order not to injure people, and partly because I had no time. But a few years ago, retiring from aikido, I picked up the guitar again and was surprised to find that I still had the basic technique I had worked so hard to learn. Today I'm probably a better player than I was when I was young.

Not really a purist, I'm curious about ways to obtain new sounds without learning a new instrument. I have a wide-necked electric guitar, for example, that plays like a classical but sounds very jazzy. Recently, by chance, I purchased an old six-string alto classical guitar made for the Niibori company in Japan. It is tuned B-E-A-D-F♯/G♭-B. It's great fun to play, with a bright voice that sounds somewhat lute-like.

I look forward to following your posts, and occasionally contributing if I can!

George Crocket

Re: New member on Martha's Vineyard

Post by George Crocket » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 am

Greetings, Daniel. Welcome to the forum. What a nice part of the world you live in!

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Dan. Welcome to the forum.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Welcome,
You'll find many martial artists/classical guitarists here. You'll also find many, who in addition to playing classical music, would play the spots on a dalmatian if you could get it to stand still.
We have members from Brazil and not long ago there was a Baden Powell thread. Personally, I liked Laurindo Almeida.
bem vinda
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Daniel Waters

Post by Daniel Waters » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

bear wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:31 pm
Welcome,
You'll find many martial artists/classical guitarists here. You'll also find many, who in addition to playing classical music, would play the spots on a dalmatian if you could get it to stand still.
We have members from Brazil and not long ago there was a Baden Powell thread. Personally, I liked Laurindo Almeida.
bem vinda
Thank you for the warm welcome. Laurindo Almeida and Baden Powell both were wonderful. These days, Paulo Bellinati and Yamandú Costa are absolutely worth following.

I wish my sight-reading were good enough to "play a dalmatian." For some reason standard notation gives me math anxiety. I realize that the cure is probably just to do it till it's second-nature, but some people have an enviable facility for it.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Return to “Introduce yourself”