Greetings from Chicago

JNWills

Greetings from Chicago

Post by JNWills » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello, My name is John and I live near Chicago, IL. I'm 28 years old and started playing guitar at age 12. I began studying classical guitar casually on and off at age 15 via some private instruction and the Aaron Shearer methods. While I play electric guitar in professional settings (rock, blues, jazz), I fell in love with nylon classical guitar and have played on and off for enjoyment for years now. My favorite composers are Tarrega, Sor, and Bach. I've played works including the 20 studies by Sor (Segovia edition), 15 two part inventions by Bach for guitar, Suite 996 by Bach, and various works by Tarrega, Carcassi, etc. I prefer the classical through romantic periods for their beautiful expressiveness. I do not know much about the later 20th century composers but would like to learn and have an open mind to all styles. I am primarily self taught and like to watch youtube videos or listen to professional performances for guidance and emulation.

I discovered the Delcamp website and it's chronological list of composers with youtube links and consider it to be one of the most useful guides I have come across in 10 years. My only other way of sifting through the overwhelming amount of material out there has been to look at college level audition guidelines for ideas on pieces to play. Otherwise, its often that "isolated amateur" sense of scratching my head on what places to play, and so choosing to play what feels or sounds right to me.

I love and express myself via electric guitar, but if I envision my "playing for enjoyment" and playing for the soul, its the nylon guitar that provides a meditative introspection and escape with countless beautiful pieces to play.

Here's me performing Bach Two Part Invention No. 6:
https://youtu.be/btD0DDCs77I

I look forward to joining the forum.
Thanks,
John

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Chicago

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello John and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Welcome John.
If you do a Google search combining <<syllabus>> with RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) or ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music), you may find additional graded lists to help you select pieces, etudes, scales etc. for future CG study. All the best!

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi John, welcome from Oak Park. Nice job on the Two Part Invention. Enjoy the forum!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

JNWills

Post by JNWills » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:22 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 pm
Welcome John.
If you do a Google search combining <<syllabus>> with RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) or ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music), you may find additional graded lists to help you select pieces, etudes, scales etc. for future CG study. All the best!
Thanks Cathy, great tip!

JNWills

Post by JNWills » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Rick Hutt wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm
Hi John, welcome from Oak Park. Nice job on the Two Part Invention. Enjoy the forum!
Thanks Rick, I appreciate it!

JNWills

Post by JNWills » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:32 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 pm
Welcome John.
Cathy, I can't thank you enough for pointing me towards the RCM. I discovered the Bridges series of books 1-8, and I couldn't be more happy with the abundance of pieces to play. There is a wide range of styles from renaissance to contemporary and it has greatly expanded my playing and awareness. Whether or not you meant to steer me towards the Bridges series, I certainly went down the RCM path and found it thanks to your suggestions! Thanks again. It's a major leap in my self study.

John

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 am

Glad it is working out for you John!

Return to “Introduce yourself”