Hello from Seattle

baritenor

Hello from Seattle

Post by baritenor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:30 am

I'm a lifelong musician who has picked up and set down the guitar multiple times over the years, only finally having it 'click' this past January. Until now, I'd learn a few chords, strum along until I got brave and tried to learn my first barre, then would give up, only to get the urge and start over again months or years down the line.

Two discoveries have helped me persist over the past year, 1) learning that a death-grip isn't essential to good technique, and fingerstyle players from Chet Atkins to José Gonzalez. After several months of learning by watching tape or reading tabs, I've hit a plateau and felt the need for a change.

Coming from voice and piano, being able to play the same frequency from multiple strings was an alien concept. This, combined with the frustration of being able to 'read' score with my eyes but not my fingers were definite hurdles to progression. I was aware classical guitar existed, but still know very little about the repertoire. I decided to kill both birds with one stone, and picked up some technique books, and haven't looked back. It's been humbling to work through what feels like my old bastien/alfred technique books from childhood, but it's gratifying to be able to playback recordings and hear how far I've come in a short time.

For musical goals, I'm a large fan of 'early' music up through the baroque period(madrigals) then jump over the rest until impressionism and jazz starts to pick up in the 20th century. After that, most of the music that's been able to capture my attention are folky singer/songwriter types

I wish I could say I'm working on pieces, but mostly it's just the little studies in my book, and brief attempts at some of the popular tunes I see cropping up in forums often(Brouwer's un dia de noviembre, Romanza, Carulli's prelude in Am).

Hoping to learn more!
GbMaj13(b9#11): when 'C' just doesn't sound self-important enough.

oski79

Re: Hello from Seattle

Post by oski79 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:33 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Introduce yourself”