Hello from Cincinnati Ohio...

Fling

Hello from Cincinnati Ohio...

Postby Fling » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I have already introduced my self on the french forum I believe, in order to meet the requirements to download a Tarrega Etude in Em Tremolo score, but I figured I should have another go on the english speaking forum as I had to register again to post on the english one. I am 25 year old guy studying (without lessons) classical guitar. I have been playing steel string acoustic for maybe 5 years, and classical for maybe 2 years. Just now getting into classical style alot. I am currently learning how to read staff as well to be able to read scores better, and hope to be able to sight read on the guitar by the end of the year (maybe :roll: ). I love this forum and have used the search function I don't even know how many times the the past couple months, usually 10 times a day or more, :lol: :lol: :lol: . I have been playing all classical pieces and styles on a steel string so far and will be making the jump to a nylon stringed guitar hopefully soon if finances allow. I believe playing so much on steel string may of destroyed what technique I might have gained. I hope not. I do play classical on classical guitars, but none of them are mine that I own, :lol:. So I practice everything on a steel string. With no nails whatsoever. Even tremolo. Which takes tremendous force (it seems to me anyway) to even get a good sound. I did learn tremolo with nails and played for a while, which was considerably easier to get a good sound, as well as whatever tempo you really want, I think tremolo on steel string with nails takes even less force to sound as good as tremolo of even high tension nylon strings with nails. But alas, this is the shnangans I have been up to. I basically just like playing the style and alot of classical pieces, as well as contemporary, but have recently made the decision to give classical guitar some attention. The pieces I am dedicating time on right now, are a arrangement of dark eyes arranged by a guy named hoche weber, a gypsy dance called mar dyandya, a russian song called two guitars arranged for just guitar instead of guitar and violin (I think...), adelita by tarrega, etude in Em with tremolo by tarrega (for some reason the bars in that one give me trouble, as easy on the left hand it is), spanish romance with tremolo arranged by that sal bonavita guy from youtube. Mostly I like these songs, and picked them for so real reason, other than the fact they also seem pretty easy to play. I figure when I am able to play all songs decently, it will justify me purchasing a classical guitar.
Last edited by Fling on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Cincinnati Ohio...

Postby GeoffB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Fling,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction! I'm glad you decided to take the plunge and join us. You'll find the Delcamp scores ideal for practising your sight reading, as there are plenty of them and they are graded by level of difficulty. You now have access to first 3 levels (plus all members' scores and recordings), and you can apply for access to higher levels of the Delcamp collections as your postcount increases. Please have a look at this page for more information on this and other tips to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

DocSvensk

Postby DocSvensk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am

Dear Fling,

Welcome.
At least your fingertips will be heavily calloused from playing steel strings and nylon strings will be a breeze to play.
You should be able to find an inexpensive but good used classical guitar in the Cincinnati area.
Good luck.

DocSvensk

Fling

Postby Fling » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Opps, I meant "no nails", (fixed it) thanx for the heads up Geoff! I have rather small hands, so while I have been looking to buy a classical guitar, I have found some that have the standerd 52 MM neck width, and some have a slightly smaller 48 MM neck width, which have been the ones I prefer. Of course playing acoustic guitar I would imagine anything with a smaller neck would feel more natural. The thing is I have pretty small hands/fingers anyways. I have played some wider neck classics and have felt really painful just to try to play them. For example in Asturias in the intro, the part right before you play the first strumed chord you have to hold your first finger on the high e string and stretch your forth finger all the way to the lower 6th string, which a normal 52 mm classical guitar is quite hard for me to do. On a 48" neck it's not so bad, but it is hard to find 48" neck width model in a brick and morder store that sounds good as well. The ones that sound the best (in the less than 400 dollar range) are usually the one with 52" neck width. The guitar I have liked the most was a 48" neck width solid cedar top and african "something or nother" wood back Takamine.

Return to “Introduce yourself”