Hello from Omaha, NE, USA

Hello from Omaha, NE, USA

Postby John SRP » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 am

My name is John and I live in Omaha Nebraska.

My love for the guitar began at an early age in the late 50's as my father would take me and my brothers to various live musical performances at Boys Town, NE where he worked and we lived on the property. Various musical ensembles would perform occasionally and we could attend. The classical guitar performances left me spell bound.

Then came the early 60's, AM radio, folk music, steel string guitars. Dad bought me a $29 Airline acoustic. Man I had a guitar! Little did I know it was an ISO*, *Instrument shaped object. My brother and I played that thing everyday. When the basement flooded one spring, I was amazed to find that the fingerboard was a masonite/particle board composite. Swole up like a bee sting, and the frets all began to fall off. I traced the fret pattern onto a piece of maple and my dad and I made a new fingerboard. It was still an ISO.

Mid 60's Beatles, electric guitars and girls. The ISO dissapeared. Pulled a broken Tiesco Del Rey acoustic out of a trash can along the interstate on a vacation. Glued it back together, back in business.

1969, shattered my left elbow wrestling in HS. Constant playing days are over.

1971 I saw the album cover of John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, Diary of a Band Volume 1 at a friends house. Bought it from him, I was going to make electric guitars! Boy I wish I could buy those back. They were junk, but looked gooooood!

1972, met this girl, got married, went to work, had kids. Fast forward to 1988. Bought a cheap Alverez classical at a garage sale. Glued it back together and started to hunt for other dumpster guitars to work on. Repaired them and sold them or passed them on to nephews and neices and kids in the neighborhood. Been doing that ever since as a hobby.

Now as I head for retirement I'm filling out my tools, adding to my skills. I'm going to make a 1929-30 Nick Lucas guitar for myself and for my brother.

Found a Aria A558 classical at a sale, needs some work. That brought me to this site looking for assistance. When I make it playable, may just cruise this site for a little further education.

Love this internet, it's like looking over all your shoulders as you work. I bet Frank Ford can tell you what flavor gum I chew.

I have my first apprentice now. Good to have that second set of hands every now and then. I call him Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
John SRP

Re: Hello from Omaha, NE, USA

Postby oski79 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks for a great intro, John. Welcome!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to Delcamp!

Regards,

oski79
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Re: Hello from Omaha, NE, USA

Postby George Crocket » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Great introduction, John. It tells us a lot about you and it entertains very well. I hope you can keep that standard up in your forthcoming contributions. And why don't you get that apprentice to sign up too! :D
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Return to Introduce yourself