2017-08-(21-26) Sean Shibe - Edinburgh (UK)

Sean Shibe

2017-08-(21-26) Sean Shibe - Edinburgh (UK)

Post by Sean Shibe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Hey all,

My fringe show is going through a 6 date run!

James Oswald – Divertimentis
Excerpts from Scottish lute manuscripts including the Rowallan, Wemyss, Straloch, Skene and Balcarres
Sir Peter Maxwell Davies: Farewell to Stromness
Steve Reich: Electric Counterpoint
Julia Wolfe: LAD
David Lang: Killer

There are many things that excite me about softLOUD – it’s a new and unique repertoire juxtaposition that draws nuance out from either side; it’s exhilarating to work on music by groundbreaking contemporary composers; and it’s a new setting for me to explore! What drove me to create a show like this was a directional ennui – I wanted to create something relevant, of its time, that reflected the angst of a generation. In the early soft works (Oswald, Scottish lute manuscripts) we have gentle, sweet and delicate pieces, becoming LOUD through what is essentially an anti-nuclear protest song (‘Farewell to Stromness’). The show ends in a cathartic outpouring of grief and anger – slowly wailing, ancient, grieving ‘LAD’ was written after the death of a friend of Wolfe’s, and ‘Killer’ is abrupt and iron-clad in its fury. Given recent events, I felt driven to create something that represented soft and beautiful qualities that we’ve (regarding Scottish Lute Manuscripts, quite literally) neglected, cathartically mourning this frustrating loss with something cyclical, righteous and repetitive in its anger.

So far the press has been positive:
“…exquisite realisations of music from 15th- to 18th-century Scottish manuscripts… eloquent speeches… genius, a term which should rarely be applied to performing musicians, but at 25 Shibe has it.”

– theartsdesk.com (David Nice)

“It was certainly loud – not least in Shibe’s towering textures of mournful, slowly rising harmonies, which made their mark almost physically in the intimate space… but it was the work’s uncompromising monumentality that made it really memorable”

– The Scotsman (David Kettle)

“incarnations of Shibe performing are unmissable”

- The Herald (Keith Bruce)

If you're not sure, then you can keep abreast of the show and make up your mind later by following the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1894883 ... y%22%3A%22

Or if you wanna give it a shot click the ticket purchase link here: https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/softloud
what kind of strings do you use though

George Crocket

Re: 2017-08-(21-26) Sean Shibe - Edinburgh (UK)

Post by George Crocket » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I saw the show last night. It is everything you say above, and more. It made me think, and feel. Absolutely great. Thanks, Sean.

This newspaper review says a little more - http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cultu ... 542026/amp.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:46 am

I trust you were using your Kwakkel for it can certainly ramp up the volume if needed! Sounds like a great show, wish I was there. Why not put on a show in NL...?! Best wishes Allister

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

He does! September 24th in Doesburg. Looking forward!!

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”