2010-07-08/12 CGR - Isle of Cumbrae SCOTLAND

2010-07-08/12 CGR - Isle of Cumbrae SCOTLAND

Postby Matthew McAllister » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 am

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The second Classical Guitar Retreat takes place in the summer of 2010 at the Cathedral of the Isles on the Island of Cumbrae off the west coast of Scotland.

Classical Guitar Retreat is a unique course set on a beautiful Scottish Island with some of the very best performers and educators working to guide, educate and inspire students of the Classical Guitar!

To find out more info about the course have a look at the website:

http://www.cgretreat.com

The CGR Concert Series features some of the world’s most exciting and inspirational musicians. The sublime acoustics and intimacy of the Cathedral of the Isles lends itself to the classical guitar and ensures that every note will be a magical one. For four days audiences will be treated to performances of the very highest level, all taking place in one of the most unique and atmospheric settings.

The 2010 concert series features a performance from Grammy Award Winner David Russell. This will be David’s first performance in Scotland for well over a decade and is not to be missed! Have a look at all the various concerts in detail below, there is a concert on each day of the Classical Guitar Retreat.

Be sure to book your tickets soon to avoid disappointment!

http://www.cgretreat.com/concerts

Hope to see you in July!

Matthew
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Re: 2010-07-8/12 CGR - Isle of Cumbrae SCOTLAND

Postby Brent Hutto » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Matthew,

Let me ask something that I've been discussing in another thread...

When the materials describe the Retreat as being suitable for all levels of player, including beginners, just how "beginner" are we talking about? And specifically, to what extent could perhaps a second-year classical guitar player be able to participate versus being there more as an observer or listener?

Not that I have the means or opportunity for a UK trip this summer anyway but it sure does look tempting. Maybe even in 2011 but I am concerned about possibly being a bit of a lost soul given that my playing skills don't scale up well to playing with others or for that matter in the presence of others. Then again a year is a long time...
Some sunny day...
Brent Hutto

Postby Anthony Campanella » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Thats very impressive Matthew!
Very special event - Congratulations!
We'll be looking forward to one or more of your excellent documentaries as well
Anthony Campanella

Postby Matthew McAllister » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Brent Hutto wrote:Matthew,

Let me ask something that I've been discussing in another thread...

When the materials describe the Retreat as being suitable for all levels of player, including beginners, just how "beginner" are we talking about? And specifically, to what extent could perhaps a second-year classical guitar player be able to participate versus being there more as an observer or listener?

Not that I have the means or opportunity for a UK trip this summer anyway but it sure does look tempting. Maybe even in 2011 but I am concerned about possibly being a bit of a lost soul given that my playing skills don't scale up well to playing with others or for that matter in the presence of others. Then again a year is a long time...

Hi Brent,

You are one of quite a few people who make inquiries like this regarding level when thinking about attending courses.

I gave these sort of queries along with many other factors much consideration when designing the educational elements of the Classical Guitar Retreat.

I hope that the information below can answer your questions! From your brief indication of where you are with things at this stage you would benefit greatly from a course like CGR.

The course is suitable for all levels of players and all elements of the course can be tailored to varying degrees of skill and accomplishment.

For the Classical Guitar Retreat it doesn't matter if a participant is self taught, has no formal training, been in regular lessons for years, or has had Julian Bream & John Williams teaching them since birth! (Wouldn't that be nice!)

The teachers that have been chosen to work on the Classical Guitar Retreat course have been picked for their inspirational teaching and dedication in imparting their knowledge onto others (alongside their wonderful performances as players of course!). Each teacher has there own particular level and area of expertise and this means all levels of player can be individually catered for.

All the music for the Guitar Orchestra and Chamber Music Workshop's is sent out to each individual participant, the level of difficulty of each part will be carefully chosen so the player can become comfortable with the music and has a good chance to look over the material under no pressure in the run up to the course. This method of providing the music far in advance of the course should help a participant find their feet with on their own before joining the Orchestra during the course. I take time in the months leading up to the festival to give out parts that participants can master and be happy playing - this way they would get much more from the experience of playing in an ensemble - participants really enjoy the experience rather than trying to hang on which often happens at festivals.

So when we come together to play as an Orchestra or with the other instruments in the chamber music workshops people are not under pressure with sight reading and the feeling of having been thrown in at the deep end, they have already had time with the music and can enjoy working on it as a group.

I also contact all the participants and find out any specific areas that people may want to improve upon - the limit on numbers is really a quality control level so I can work with
the guest teachers and performers to make sure that all the participants really improve upon an area of their playing or musicianship that they themselves feel lacking in.

The feeling and general ethos behind this event is one of everyone having the opportunity to participate fully in every part of the course, masterclasses will have experienced and high level students performing and also much lower grade beginner performers this way everyone can learn from each other and there is no 'them and us' scenario.

Hope that helps!

Certainly in the future if you want to attend the CGR just get in touch with me and I can help you out with travel plans and reserve you a place.

Best wishes,

Matthew
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Postby Matthew McAllister » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Classitar wrote:Thats very impressive Matthew!
Very special event - Congratulations!
We'll be looking forward to one or more of your excellent documentaries as well

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Yes I am sure a wee documentary will follow on after the course!!

Will you be attending any of the concerts?

Matthew
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Re: 2010-07-08/12 CGR - Isle of Cumbrae SCOTLAND

Postby Brent Hutto » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Sounds very well thought out w.r.t. beginners, Matthew. Thanks.

I sure wish this were going to be a summer with a UK trip. I really love Scotland and both the Retreat and the setting seem just about perfect. Better start banking money and vacation days for next year. Guitar retreat, a couple days playing golf on the way in or out, that would be a week to remember.
Some sunny day...
Brent Hutto

Postby Anthony Campanella » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 am

Thank you, but I'm unable to attend.
I'd love to attend the work shops and especially the concert of the decade!
Do you have any plans for a duet with Mr. Russell?
Anthony Campanella

Postby Matthew McAllister » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Classitar wrote:Thank you, but I'm unable to attend.
I'd love to attend the work shops and especially the concert of the decade!
Do you have any plans for a duet with Mr. Russell?

I wish!

Any of the Scottish concert goers who want to catch David Russell's concert, I have to tell you it is selling very fast!
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Postby kes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Not long to go now.....!!!!! Looking forward to it :D
kes

Postby Matthew McAllister » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Even if you can't make the course you can catch some concerts!

If you fancy a day trip on the Saturday or Sunday to the Island, catch a concert, even take a lesson or a workshop, please do not hesitate to get in touch!

The ferry service is very regular and good and we are only about an hour and a half from Glasgow!

Just drop me an email, all details at the website below!

http://www.cgretreat.com

Hope to see you there!

Best wishes,

Matthew
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Postby James Lister » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 am

I'm delighted to announce that I'm going to be at the retreat for the weekend - to show my guitars, attend a few concerts (Matthew and David Russell), and give a talk (not sure exactly what about yet!). I'll be showing the Macassar Ebony/spruce guitar shown on my self promotion page, and one other (Indian rosewood/spruce) if I get the polishing finished in time.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby Anthony Campanella » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Lucky! Please get some photos for us!
Anthony Campanella

Postby James Lister » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 am

Classitar wrote:Lucky! Please get some photos for us!

Didn't take many photos myself - but here's one of a punter trying out one of my guitars. Not sure who he was, but he could play a bit. :wink:

CGR Millport 048S.jpg

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby Anthony Campanella » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am

:merci: Wow! Nice place
One of the local buskers? Did you give him any tips?
Anthony Campanella

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:58 am

Didn't take many photos myself - but here's one of a punter trying out one of my guitars. Not sure who he was, but he could play a bit.

He can't be any good: he is holding the guitar on the wrong leg. :lol:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".
Erik Zurcher

Next

Return to Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts