Simplicio, Vito - Dancing Under the Summer Stars

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Simplicio, Vito - Dancing Under the Summer Stars

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon May 28, 2007 2:28 am

Hello Everyone,

After I recorded "Spring, At Last," Owl gave me a "little project":
Vito
Your music always touches a chord in me... thank you.

PS. A little project for you (probably not so little )... 'A Suite for All Seasons'... we have Spring... how about the other three seasons.

Seriously!

Owl
Well, Owl, here's summer for you.

For most of the summer in Southern Arizona, the mornings and evenings are so pleasant and the stars, always glorious. If you stare at the stars for awhile, they appear to dance on the darkness. It was one of those star gazing nights while playing my guitar that I was inspired to write this piece.

Thank you for letting me share my music,

Vito
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Mon May 28, 2007 5:07 am

What a lovely piece, dear Vito!!! Well crafted and well named. It gave me goosebumps when you went into the bossa section after the intro! Nicely played thoughout!!!

I think I heard some 3 bar phrases and some that had an addition of 2 beats...Did you write those in 6/4, or just add a 2/4 bar? It really adds interest to the piece by not going where you expect it to go.

Will you be able to post the score soon? I'd love to have this one under my fingers for the upcoming Summer nights!!!

Best to you and :merci: !!!

Alan

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon May 28, 2007 5:16 am

Hello Vito,

Thank you for writing, performing and sharing this with us!

I love your latest creation, this is another for my permanent collection, I loved it from the first measure.

It is so easy to imagine you playing this beneath your Arizona stars.

Best wishes, V :bravo: :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon May 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Tarbaby wrote:I think I heard some 3 bar phrases and some that had an addition of 2 beats...Did you write those in 6/4, or just add a 2/4 bar? It really adds interest to the piece by not going where you expect it to go.
Hi Tarbaby,

A compliment from you means a lot since I've have really enjoyed your MP3 contributions. I'll get right on completing the written music this morning but I have to tell you that I struggled putting the timing on paper so it will only be an approximation at best.

Hello Vesuvio,

As always, your support and kind words are so much appreciated and your always jolly on the spot with your responses. You are a great moderator.

Cheerio,

Vito

emredincman

Post by emredincman » Tue May 29, 2007 4:56 pm

Enjoyed it very much. :)

This piece really tells us what you felt under those stars. Lovely.

I believe that some other instruments that would show up after the intro could have widen the joy. A simple bass and a ritm maybe.

Thanks for sharing.

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Tue May 29, 2007 5:07 pm

Beautiful -- and very evocative. I think I might have guessed starlight and summer nights even if I didn't know the title.

Looking forward to the rest of the suite. Are you going to have to leave Arizona to get in the proper mood for "Winter"? :wink:

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 am

emredincman wrote:Enjoyed it very much. :)

I believe that some other instruments that would show up after the intro could have widen the joy. A simple bass and a ritm maybe.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and yes, a strong bass and drum foundation would work well here but the Delcamp rules wants us to keep it just to a CG. Hmmm, that doesn't stop me from enhancing this piece for my own enjoyment.

Guitar Slim wrote:
Beautiful -- and very evocative. I think I might have guessed starlight and summer nights even if I didn't know the title.

Looking forward to the rest of the suite. Are you going to have to leave Arizona to get in the proper mood for "Winter"? Wink
Nope, after spending 9 years in Northern Idaho and 3 years in Berlin, I have vivid memories of winter. Also, I've spent many Christmases in Pittsburgh with my in-laws so I'll come up with something. Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to get a compliment from someone who we all highly appreciate and respect.

Sincerely,

Vito

classicalcomp

Post by classicalcomp » Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 am

Very nice Indeed! It sounds like you have a blast playing it. Very lively!!!
emredincman wrote:
Enjoyed it very much. Smile

Thanks for sharing.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and yes, a strong bass and drum foundation would work well here but the Delcamp rules wants us to keep it just to a CG. Hmmm, that doesn't stop me from enhancing this song for my own enjoyment.
You know, the Bolling Suite for Classical Guitar and Jazz Piano is a fun piece and shows how nice the CG works with a rhythm section.
“(I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts of both, they were not discontented with each other.”
- Andres Segovia

emredincman

Post by emredincman » Wed May 30, 2007 8:41 am

Simplicio wrote:I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and yes, a strong bass and drum foundation would work well here but the Delcamp rules wants us to keep it just to a CG.
Ooops :oops:

I didn't know that.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed May 30, 2007 12:22 pm

emredincman wrote:
Simplicio wrote:I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and yes, a strong bass and drum foundation would work well here but the Delcamp rules wants us to keep it just to a CG.
Ooops :oops:

I didn't know that.
Hi emredincman,

Not a big deal. Here's more information if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?t=6497&sid=9a54363ae9725f ... 922c2ebf2a

In this area it states:

"Please try to record your classical guitar files so they sound as natural and unedited as possible: this means acoustic recordings with minimal digital effect processing."

About the only effect that is permitted is perhaps some reverb. Putting all of this aside, your suggestion was a good one and it would be fun to add a few more tracks to give the piece more rhythm.

Thanks again for listening.

Vito

owl

Post by owl » Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Hello Vito... what a lovely surprise!
I have been away and come home to find your wonderful music awaiting me.
It might seem strange to you but this piece has a distinctively Australian flavour... we have black nights and wide skies where I live and the stars are dancing jewels... your music fits perfectly.
It gives me a feeling of happy satisfaction... and is a fitting end to the day.
I want to feel this way at the end of every day.
Thank you Vito... it's lovely :flowers:

Joy in the music

Owl
PS. Is autumn (fall) next?
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed May 30, 2007 6:55 pm

I wonder how strictly this rule must be followed? Ricstange recently posted a lovely rendition of "Sons de Carrilhoes" in Our Interpretations with a conga overdubbed.

And, in Our Duets and More, there are some with guitar and flute, violin or even piano. Perhaps you could post it there?

It seems to me the rule exists to keep members from posting recordings of their bands, esp. with electric guitars.

What sayeth the moderators?

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 pm

owl wrote:Hello Vito... what a lovely surprise!
I have been away and come home to find your wonderful music awaiting me.
It might seem strange to you but this piece has a distinctively Australian flavour... we have black nights and wide skies where I live and the stars are dancing jewels... your music fits perfectly.
It gives me a feeling of happy satisfaction... and is a fitting end to the day.
I want to feel this way at the end of every day.
Thank you Vito... it's lovely :flowers:

Joy in the music

Owl
PS. Is autumn (fall) next?
Hi Owl,

I'm so please that you enjoyed this song. I could very well imagine Australia with it's big evening skies and dancing stars. I must visit your wonderful country someday although my wife is not too keen going down under.

Is Autumn next? No doubt, you know, I love a challenge. :wink:

BTW, we all know you get huge kudo's for the CG but has anybody told you lately that you are a superb moderator?

Vito

owl

Post by owl » Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 pm

Hello Vito... you would be very welcome in my 'wonderful country'.
I'm sure you could find much here to please your wife.

Thank you for your kind comments... as moderators we all try to do our very best for Delcamp members... it's nice to be appreciated.

And thank you again for the great music... I am looking forward to hearing Autumn.

Joy in the music Vito

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu May 31, 2007 8:58 pm

Simplicio wrote: I'll get right on completing the written music this morning but I have to tell you that I struggled putting the timing on paper so it will only be an approximation at best.
You know, Vito, I've been thinking about this and it occurred that I might be able to help you with the rhythmic notation if you'd like. I've been a professional drummer for most of my life and am a good reader.

If you have a first (second or third) draft, you could email it to me and I'd be happy to collaborate with you on it. I can open a Finale file, if that's what you have.

Hope to hear from you!

Alan

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”