Odeon by Ernesto Nazareth

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
domgarcia

Odeon by Ernesto Nazareth

Postby domgarcia » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Is anyone familiar with Ivan Paschoito's arrangement of Odeon by Ernesto Nazareth ? I got a copy and am learning it. I have to say it is a challenging piece with a lot of difficult fingerings and barres. I just found that Delcamp also has an arrangement of Odeon in it's level 7 music sheets. When I compared the two arrangements, I realized that the Delcamp arrangement is in key of G and Paschoito's is in the key of E. Would arranging it in the key of G make it easier to play ? Which one would be easier to play for those familiar with both arrangements.

Dom

Aryeh

Re: Odeon by Ernesto Nazareth

Postby Aryeh » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm

domgarcia wrote:Is anyone familiar with Ivan Paschoito's arrangement of Odeon by Ernesto Nazareth ? I got a copy and am learning it. I have to say it is a challenging piece with a lot of difficult fingerings and barres. I just found that Delcamp also has an arrangement of Odeon in it's level 7 music sheets. When I compared the two arrangements, I realized that the Delcamp arrangement is in key of G and Paschoito's is in the key of E. Would arranging it in the key of G make it easier to play ? Which one would be easier to play for those familiar with both arrangements.

Dom

I wasn't aware that Paschoito had an arr. of Odeon, who is the publisher and where may I purchase it?

When you say that the Paschoito's arr. is in the key of E, do you mean major or minor? Because the original piano key of this piece is C# minor so I assume you mean E minor.

I just checked the Delcamp arr. and it's in E minor as well, maybe the key signature of one sharp confused you that it's in G major but it's in the relative minor, E minor, take a look at the last chord and the general harmonic sound of the opening A section that keeps coming back after the contrasting B and C sections. Notice the musical form is the same as the famous Villa-Lobos Choros #1 for solo guitar which is dedicated to Ernesto Nazareth.

E minor is the most guitar friendly key for this piece on the guitar for sure, the melody lays very naturally in that key and the contrasting two major sections when it goes into G major territory sound great as well.

There's a Mel Bay video of Carlos Barbosa-Lima playing it in the original C# minor but it's ridiculously difficult and not worth the bother IMO, maybe two guitars but not one-actually come to think of it Barbosa-Lima recorded Odeon as a duet with Sharon Isbin and they play it in C# min and it sounds great.

Aryeh

domgarcia

Postby domgarcia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:05 am

Hi Aryeh,

Thanks for the reply. I think the Paschoito arrangement is actually in the C#m key, E's relative minor. The first chord in the opening A section starts with a C#m over an E bass. There are 4 sharps in the key signature, which made me think that it's in the E major key.
I got the Paschoito arrangement from Brazil...from a relative who lives there. It's from a music book of Paschoito guitar arrangements called "Ernesto Nazareth, Em Boa Companhia" which includes arrangements from works by Chiquinha Gonzaga, Carlos Gomes, and Zequinha de Abreu. The publisher is Ricordi Brasileira S.A. Not sure if this is readily available where you live, but you might be able to get some info from the store it was bought from, just google for Livraria Musimed to get to their website.

Dom

avoz

Postby avoz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 am

Jose Barrense-Dias has also arranged it in Em - '5 Choros de Ernesto Nazareth' (Editions Musicales Transatlantiques, Paris (Cat. E.M.T. 1663).

domgarcia

Postby domgarcia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:39 pm

After trying out a few bars of Delcamp's arrangement in Em I have to say it is by far more guitar friendly than a C#m arrangement. Open chords definitely makes it easier especially with a piece like this which requires fast shifting from one chord to another.

Dom

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 am

I have Paschoito's transcription. I think the transcription in Em is both easier and more "guitaristic", althoug Paschoito's transcription is more faithful to the original. I used to play a transcription by Antonio Sinopoli (ed Ricordi Argentina) which is very similar to Delcamp's.

I don't know if Ricordi from Brazil sell overseas, but to those interested on these Paschoito transcriptions you may contact ricrodi at http://www.ricordi.com.br or send an e-mail to ricordi at ricordi.com.br

cheers,
Luis.

coot

Postby coot » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm

I have the Paschoito and Barrense-Dias transcriptions, and also one by Henrique Pinto, in E minor. I would agree that the Paschoito version in C#m is less guitaristic, it just works much better in Em on guitar. I like the Pinto version, but I got it in Brasil, I don't know if it's available elsewhere. The publisher is again Ricordi.

The finest version I've heard is by the incomparable Raphael Rabello, on an album of duets with Dino Sete Cordas(although he played Odeon as a solo). After a flamenco-like introduction, he then plays it in fairly traditional choro feel, until the final repeat when he just seems to go wild, finishing off with a huge crescendo. The last thing you hear is what sounds to be him pulling the jack lead right out of the guitar - kind of Choro meets Pete Townshend! Even if a transcription were available, there's little chance I'd ever be capable of playing it like that!

Nick

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”