How does a Master Class work?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.

How does a Master Class work?

Postby yasser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 am

Hello everybody,
I've never been to a CG master class and I am wondering how does it work? how to book for one? Do you plan or ask for what you want to learn and play or is it up to the lecturer? single or in group?
Thanks.
yasser

Re: How does a Master Class work?

Postby John O » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:17 am

I'm not sure how to book one, but the piece you play is generally up to you--the "master" player rarely requests a piece. It's wise to bring a copy of your piece for the master to read as you play. They are usually done individually unless you play in a duo or ensemble.
John O

Postby Azalais » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 am

You can also attend masterclasses as an observer, which is often much less stressful and more enjoyable (and more instructive?)! :P For the first masterclass, you might want to observe first and sign up to play for one at a later time, once you have seen how they work. Each "Maestro" has a different teaching style and approach to master classes, and it can even vary by the location and who is sponsoring the class. Some are quite informal, and some can be very very rigid and stressful for the students. You will find quite a few clips of guitar masterclasses on Youtube (and also some very funny parodies of the real ones)
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670)
Azalais

Postby cravo_e_canela » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 am

do your homework.
Most "maestros" have published something, be it transcriptions, a method, compositions... most people following the masterclass will be playing these pieces, so in order to derive maximum benefit, make sure you have at least read through this material.
cravo_e_canela

Postby Peter_C » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:57 pm

I've only attended one, so I'm not an expert. I would say that seeing Roland Dyens teach four Manhattan Music School students the details and thoughts behind his pieces was incredible to watch. Even if I were one of the four students I would have loved to view the other three's instruction. Even a more common piece like Tango en Skai takes on a new dimension when the author, who's also an excellent player, is there giving his insight in response to a specific performance.

Plus, has anyone seen the duet version of Tango that Dyens plays??? It's ridiculous!

I'm also not clear how exactly someone "registers" to be a student in a master class. This one I attended was all students of the school hosting the event, I think all under the same professor, so that makes sense in that case.
Peter_C
Amateur luthier

Postby Pragueguy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:59 pm

I just returned last week from the annual "Guitarfest" in Belgrade, Serbia. Numerous great performers and teachers were there giving master classes, such as Roberto Aussel, Pavel Steidl, Kazuhito Yamashita, Oscar Ghiglia, Roland Dyens, H Kappel, C Marchione, etc.

I attended as a non-performing student, so I could sit in on all Masterclasses and watch/listen.

There was some sort of an application to fill out, based on the students performing, I dont think it was any problem to be accepted as a student, in general.

Students were aged about 20 years, on average

They chose what to play, they told the "teacher" at the beginning of the lesson. They typically played one movement of a longer Bach piece, eg, Loure from the E major suite (I am referring to what we consider the guitarist`s E major suite for lute, it is from one of the violin sonatas).

The teacher usually wanted to know what was the edition/who was the editor or transcriber of the piece.

About 85% of pieces were Bach (!) Related to that, there was lots of discussion on the part of the teacher, usually, about the issues involved in adapting Bach`s music to the guitar, e.g., "the guitar is between violin and organ in its possibilities for voicing..". Also, about the interpretation of Baroque music.

The teachers concentrated to about 95%+ on interpretation, not on technique.
Pragueguy

Postby John O » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Pragueguy wrote:I just returned last week from the annual "Guitarfest" in Belgrade, Serbia. Numerous great performers and teachers were there giving master classes, such as Roberto Aussel, Pavel Steidl, Kazuhito Yamashita, Oscar Ghiglia, Roland Dyens, H Kappel, C Marchione, etc.

Wow, that's an impressive list! What were Kappel and Yamashita like? (Does Yamashita speak English?)
John O

Postby Pragueguy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Kappel is extremely friendly guy, I got to know him quite well and probably will see him again in Koblenz etc. He certainly is well able to teach interpretation of Bach!

Yamashita is for me a true guitar hero - I am in my fifties and first heard him live in New York in about 1982! He played a concerrt in Belgrade, one long piece by the contemporary Japanese composer he favors, I can find the name but dont have it at my braintips this second (also I mix up first and second name)

He surely speaks some English, but conducted the classes in Japanese with Japanese/Serbian interpreter, so for me there was not much value.

Interestingly, he took a photo of every ¨student¨he had!

Aussel is a wonderful interpreter and also teacher, to my mind. I am sure that Steidl is great teacher too, I know him a little, but I didn§t make any of his classes this time.

Mike/Prague
Pragueguy

Postby John O » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Pragueguy wrote:Kappel is extremely friendly guy, I got to know him quite well and probably will see him again in Koblenz etc. He certainly is well able to teach interpretation of Bach!

Yamashita is for me a true guitar hero - I am in my fifties and first heard him live in New York in about 1982! He played a concerrt in Belgrade, one long piece by the contemporary Japanese composer he favors, I can find the name but dont have it at my braintips this second (also I mix up first and second name)

He surely speaks some English, but conducted the classes in Japanese with Japanese/Serbian interpreter, so for me there was not much value.

Interestingly, he took a photo of every ¨student¨he had!

Aussel is a wonderful interpreter and also teacher, to my mind. I am sure that Steidl is great teacher too, I know him a little, but I didn§t make any of his classes this time.

Mike/Prague

Thanks. Kappel's CD of Bach's 6th Keyboard Partita is one of my all-time favorite recordings. Did Yamahsita focus mostly on technique or interpretation?
John O

Postby Pragueguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 am

Yamashita also basically focused on interpretation, e.g., on student who played the first part of the 1st lute suite in E minor: Yamashita commented that it needs to be perceived as if it is played in one breath and as an "improvisation".

Mike
Pragueguy

Return to Classical Guitar Classes