La Catedral- John Williams version

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.

La Catedral- John Williams version

Postby Louis Xavier » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I have already learned the 3rd movement of La Catedral by Barrios, and I plan on playing it at the junior competition in Austin, Texas next year. However, I was on youtube, and I came across John Williams playing the 3rd movement to footage of guitars being made. He had some very slight variations to the piece, yet the effect on me was tremendous. Just the slight differences in the original score and his "version" gave the piece a whole new level of beauty, at least to my ears. [Mod Edit - direct links to copyrighted material discouraged: search YouTube for Cathedral, John Williams cwilliamslondon] this is the video itself. I know the differences are slight, yet does anyone know where I can get the partition for this? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Louis Xavier
Louis Xavier

Re: La Catedral- John Williams version

Postby wbajzek » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Louis Xavier wrote:Hello everyone,

I have already learned the 3rd movement of La Catedral by Barrios, and I plan on playing it at the junior competition in Austin, Texas next year. However, I was on youtube, and I came across John Williams playing the 3rd movement to footage of guitars being made. He had some very slight variations to the piece, yet the effect on me was tremendous. Just the slight differences in the original score and his "version" gave the piece a whole new level of beauty, at least to my ears. [Mod Edit - direct links to copyrighted material discouraged: search YouTube for Cathedral, John Williams cwilliamslondon] this is the video itself. I know the differences are slight, yet does anyone know where I can get the partition for this? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Louis Xavier

I believe it's the same as on his "From the Jungles of Paraguay" album. There are only minor differences between it and Stover's edition, not too hard to figure out when you already play that version.
wbajzek

Postby Louis Xavier » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 am

I see, but the minor differences, such as in the "bridge"-like progression in the middle, the very virtuosic part- could potentially be very difficult to figure out. Is there a score for it?
Louis Xavier

Postby wbajzek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:40 am

Do you mean at 2:05 in that video? or 1:31?
wbajzek

Postby Aryeh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:50 am

Louis Xavier wrote:I see, but the minor differences, such as in the "bridge"-like progression in the middle, the very virtuosic part- could potentially be very difficult to figure out. Is there a score for it?

Hi Louis,

There's no published score for it - and yes there's more than a few note changes compared to Stover's version including changes of form, rhythm and repeats. Since Barrios' music is public domain I can transcribe this for you, I sent you a private message.

Aryeh
Aryeh

Postby Louis Xavier » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for your help, but I sat down with the recording I found (finally) and with my guitar, and found all of the changes with good fingerings in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the offer, but the changes were actually very minor, and not very hard to find.

Thanks for your time
Louis Xavier

Return to Classical Guitar Classes