D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 76 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS numbers 12, 13, 14.
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 12, 13 and 14 on page 76. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Next we'll work on three pieces :
- page 11 Juan BOBROWITZ (1785-1845) DANSE POLONAISE
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44 :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=670

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 76 number 13 Scale of C major with crescendo and decrescendo
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Ed Butler
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Tom Wimsatt
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Lucian Bistreanu
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44
:( + ♫ = :)

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 am

Partial submissions. I hope the sound quality isn't too bad. It seemed a little off at times.
Key of C Major
Youtube

Key of D Minor
Youtube

Allegretto N°2 opus 44
Youtube
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Tom - well done. I really liked your posture. That is my focus for this month (and beyond). I am a natural sloucher and need to break the habit.

Ed

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 pm

First attempts at each of the pieces. And first time using my phone to record. Next couple of weeks I need to work on timing, smoothing the transition between measures and POSTURE.

C Major Scale

Youtube

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO

Youtube

ALLEGRETTO No 2 opus $$

Youtube

DANSE POLONAISE

Youtube

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm

I tried to delete this one but I have no idea how to.
:desole:
Last edited by Lucian Bistreanu on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

here are my first attempts of C major scale and Allegreto
C major scale

Youtube

Allegretto N2 opus 44

Youtube

by the way, well done Tom and Ed, :bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Lucian - well done. I like the rise and fall of the notes with the C major scale. With the Allegretto I liked that you only had very small movements with the left hand, instead you were able to hit most of the notes by just moving your fingers. We will both do better with this after a couple of weeks of practice.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm
Hi Lucian, I think you can ask the moderator, I don't think we are able to delete posts.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Tom - well done. I really liked your posture. That is my focus for this month (and beyond). I am a natural sloucher and need to break the habit.

Ed
Thanks Ed! If you have a desk chair (adjustable) you might try exploring different heights and seat pan angles which help you keep your back straight.
Here's a picture of how I sit. Hope this helps. You might want to consider getting a guitar support. I found this helps me get the guitar into a much better position. Note that my knees are slightly below level, this rotates my pelvis (counter clockwise in this picture) and, I think..., helps me to keep my back straight. I actually arch my lower back slightly.
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm
C major scale

Youtube

Allegretto N2 opus 44

Youtube

Thanks Lucian! Your C major Scale was very smooth. I know most professional guitarists do this, but I find looking at the fret board to be more of a distraction, especially with a piece I haven't memorized.

I don't know if this is important here, because it clearly hasn't effected your posture, but Ed, I think it might be partly why you are holding the guitar the way you do (you mentioned you were working on posture right now). Especially when you are looking at your right hand.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm
Hi Lucian, I think you can ask the moderator, I don't think we are able to delete posts.
Hi Tom, I guess you're right, thanks.
So, please, help me Collin, to delete this post, as I post it twice. Thank you, Lucian

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Lucian - well done. I like the rise and fall of the notes with the C major scale. With the Allegretto I liked that you only had very small movements with the left hand, instead you were able to hit most of the notes by just moving your fingers. We will both do better with this after a couple of weeks of practice.

Ed
Thank you Ed, I wanted to emphasize the crescendo-descrescendo thing--with the C major scale.
With the Allegretto I find it difficult when it come to changing/playing chords but as you say, will do better in a couple of weeks.

Lucian

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm
C major scale

Youtube

Allegretto N2 opus 44

Youtube

Thanks Lucian! Your C major Scale was very smooth. I know most professional guitarists do this, but I find looking at the fret board to be more of a distraction, especially with a piece I haven't memorized.

I don't know if this is important here, because it clearly hasn't effected your posture, but Ed, I think it might be partly why you are holding the guitar the way you do (you mentioned you were working on posture right now). Especially when you are looking at your right hand.
Thank you Tom! I agree with you, looking at a fretboard could be a distraction, but sometimes I just need to make sure I put my fingers in the good spot, especially after the slide, or if a chord need to be played. However, I would love to be able to play without looking at my hands, not sure that will be happening soon, though. :)

Speaking about posture, now I'm using most of the time the guitar support, which I like it very much. Now I need to find another chair, I think that the one I'm using is a little taller, preferably it will be adjustable, but that's another story.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello All:
For any who do not know, I started late November in D01 and when I caught up at the end of December I started D02. I am not sure how long it will take me to catch up here as I am struggling desperately with Malaguena. I can play individual measures, but putting it all together is still beyond me. I am going to try to conquer it today.
In the interim I thought I should at least listen to the submissions of my fellow classmates and maybe try to offer at least a bit of feedback. Today I am focusing on...
Tom: First off, I love your posture. I have just ordered the Atlas support and am really looking forward to receiving it and seeing if I can find as relaxed a posture as you seem to have while still keeping both hands in proper position.
Secondly, I admire the fact that you don't play at a speed you cannot yet handle, concentrating instead on playing "clean". This is one area that I struggle with. Sometimes I slow it down only to make more errors due no doubt to losing concentration, so I can really learn from your example.
Thirdly, as you are starting to play Allegretto No 2 cleanly I encourage you to take the next step, which is to "own the music". Play around with varying the tempo just a tad (while remaining true to the rhythm), or try the effect of having one phrase answering another in a quieter or louder voice. Maybe wiggle a finger here and there to emphasize a note. In other words, don't just play the notes, but rather interpret the music. I predict that you will discover that a piece that currently sounds very ordinary will take on new life and meaning to you, and as a result you will find increased enjoyment from playing the piece.
This encouragement is only offered because it is clear that you have committed the piece to memory, or at least well enough that you can play while reading the music without struggling. Though even there I recently heard a video where the virtuoso was advised by his teacher many years ago to look for the music even while just learning the piece. That sounds like quite a challenge to me, but probably good advice.
Bottom line: You are basically setting the bar for me in these lessons, and the better you do the harder you make it for me to catch up, so keep making it hard for me by all means. You are doing great, but (like all of us) you can do better, of this I have full confidence in you, and I think that finding the music in a piece and making it yours is probably one of the most fertile grounds you can explore in this stage of your development.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 am

Jules, hello and welcome. Thanks for listening and for the comments.
My back was giving me problems and (fortunately) I was able to correct things with good sitting posture. The guitar support was a big help.
I usually slow it down a notch when making recordings, so I get the best chance of playing error free (sometimes it actually works )....
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”