D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby Nelson Lee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote: Thank you, Nelson! Thanks for watching and for the tips.
For me, your playing is not that bad, au contraire,if you adjust the rhythm it's quite good.
Regards, Lucian

Hi Lucian, thanks for taking the time to checking out my lesson videos and commenting. I will concentrate on my rhythm and record my progress again. Thanks for the support. Regards, Nelson. :)

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:21 am

Roger Dorfield wrote:
Nelson Lee wrote:
Roger Dorfield wrote:Here is My first Lesson Page 6 N1:
I know I am a few lessons behind. I should be finished the rest of page 6 tomorrow.
Thanks

Rodger, Please excuse my last feedback to you. It was wrong, and I am sorry for giving you wrong info. I try to be more helpful in the future. Nelson.

Hi Nelson, What was wrong ?
Roger

I'm thinking that some of these pieces need the strings dampen before the next note, so your fingers need to go down flat to finger the next note and dampen the previous note. I am realizing that I need to be more careful about advice, since I am, like you, a beginner. With that in mind, I will be more careful about my feedback. Regardless, I really like being here and learning with you. Courage and let's move forward together! Nelson.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:37 am

Chris Pennifold wrote:Hi All

Here are my exercises and pieces. Viewing these myself whilst remaining objective is a challenge but hopefully in time that will change? Many thanks

Hi Chris, I'm a new student and it's nice to meet you and see your videos! Do you have a metronome? Try using one to keep you moving forward in the piece. Using one has helped me a lot, especially while recording. Also, look back at the teachers videos and notice how the left and right hands are positioned on the guitar. Courage and let's move forward! Regards, Nelson.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 am

Rodaan Peralta wrote:Here is my recording for Au Clair ?...... Trying to play at 168 bpm. Pretty tough! I probably should invest in a classical guitar pretty soon.

Hi Rodan, I'm a new student and I just watched both of your recoding on this piece. I like the way you phrased the lines at the beginning. I am using a metronome now because I have a rhythm issue. Try using one to help you slow down and play the piece all the way through in a even constant pace. I hope this helps! Regards, Nelson.

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:27 am

Last edited by Dustin McKinney on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kremona Fiesta FC

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:44 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:

Hi Dustin, two of the four video submission tags have been updated so that we can see the videos, you can fix the other two :-)

Read this earlier post post that discusses the issue and provides a link to a helpful reference page for posting videos in the forum
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Dustin, Good to meet you and see your videos! I'm also a beginner, so we're in the same boat. I started using a metronome since I find that this helps with my counting and moving forward as I play a piece. Have you tried this? If not, think about giving it a try. Start off slow and build up speed. Also, refer to our teacher's video and see where he places his left-hand thumb behind the neck. I can try to describe it, but a picture will describe it better. Courage and let's move forward together! Regards, Nelson. :)

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone, I've been mentioning rhythm and using the metronome in my feedback to everyone lately. I'm sort of obsessed with this because it's an important skill set for playing guitar. Binh and Lucian pointed this out to me and I'm following through on it as best as I can. Just wanted to acknowledge these guys who made me aware of what I can do to improve. I've been practicing and it's been fun and a heartache at the same time. Binh, I'm not at the point of smashing my guitar yet, but it's getting there! Just wanted everyone to know that I'm just passing on the exceptional feedback that was given to me. Regards, Nelson.

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:Hi Everyone, I've been mentioning rhythm and using the metronome in my feedback to everyone lately. I'm sort of obsessed with this because it's an important skill set for playing guitar. Binh and Lucian pointed this out to me and I'm following through on it as best as I can. Just wanted to acknowledge these guys who made me aware of what I can do to improve. I've been practicing and it's been fun and a heartache at the same time. Binh, I'm not at the point of smashing my guitar yet, but it's getting there! Just wanted everyone to know that I'm just passing on the exceptional feedback that was given to me. Regards, Nelson.

:lol: Keep up the good work, Nelson. :bravo:

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 am

John Montes wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:

Hi Dustin, two of the four video submission tags have been updated so that we can see the videos, you can fix the other two :-)

Read this earlier post post that discusses the issue and provides a link to a helpful reference page for posting videos in the forum

They're fixed! Thanks for your help!
Kremona Fiesta FC

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:32 am

These early lessons are geared towards providing skill builders to develop rest stroke, finger alternation, tempo, rhythm, and thumb strokes.
When having tempo and rhythm issues, try slowing down and either sounding out a cadence for tempo and rhythm or using a metronome for tempo.

Some have found success using foot tapping or hand tapping on a leg or table without the guitar at very slow speeds to get a feel for tempo and rhythm.

Also maybe try listening very closely to Maestro Delcamp's videos while sight reading with the sheet music without the guitar in hand to get a feel for note durations/rhythm and tempo. Trying repeating this several times on a particular piece, see/read the notes on paper while hearing the notes.

When practicing, dont worry about matching the tempo of Professor Delcamp or any noted tempo markings, slow way down, strive for perfection/precision, increase speed later.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 am

John Montes wrote:These early lessons are geared towards providing skill builders to develop rest stroke, finger alternation, tempo, rhythm, and thumb strokes.
When having tempo and rhythm issues, try slowing down and either sounding out a cadence for tempo and rhythm or using a metronome for tempo.

Some have found success using foot tapping or hand tapping on a leg or table without the guitar at very slow speeds to get a feel for tempo and rhythm.

Also maybe try listening very closely to Maestro Delcamp's videos while sight reading with the sheet music without the guitar in hand to get a feel for note durations/rhythm and tempo. Trying repeating this several times on a particular piece, see/read the notes on paper while hearing the notes.

When practicing, dont worry about matching the tempo of Professor Delcamp or any noted tempo markings, slow way down, strive for perfection/precision, increase speed later.

Hi John, Thanks for the advice on rhythm and tempo. I have been using a metronome, starting off with a very slow tempo, and working up to a reasonable tempo. Starting off slowly was the best advice. I believe I will have to continue rhythm development by tapping the beat with my foot and tapping the rhythm with a hand on the guitar at the same time. It's fun, but it can be challenging. I have been working out of Ed Sueta's Rhythm Workbooks. Have you heard of him? His workbook have been very helpful. I already recorded my exercises before reading your suggestions, but I will slow way down and strive for perfection/precision and increase speed later from now on. Thanks for your teaching and support. Regards, Nelson.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 am

Nelson Lee wrote: Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-01 Lesson pieces. I concentrated on rhythm so I have the metronome beating in the background. I started off the metronome slowly and increase the tempo when I felt I was ready to play faster. After reading John's advice on rhythm development, I will practice even longer with the slower tempos from now on. Regardless, below are my exercises for everyone to check out. Please feel free to give me feedback. Regards, Nelson.

P6 1 Cordes A Vide

Youtube

P6 2 Cordes A Vide

Youtube

P8 A La Claire Fontaine

Youtube

P9 Old Mac Donald

Youtube

P10 Au Clair De La Lune

Youtube

P10 Il Est Minuit

Youtube

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 am

John. I am changing this post that I wrote to you. I just read the rules of the forum, so I understand better what to expect from this process. I will wait for the appropriate people to evaluate my video recordings and I will wait to see if I can move forward. Sorry, but I'm still new at this.... should have looked closer. Regards, Nelson.

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Nelson Lee wrote: Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-01 Lesson pieces. I concentrated on rhythm so I have the metronome beating in the background. I started off the metronome slowly and increase the tempo when I felt I was ready to play faster. After reading John's advice on rhythm development, I will practice even longer with the slower tempos from now on. Regardless, below are my exercises for everyone to check out. Please feel free to give me feedback. Regards, Nelson.

PERFECT, Nelson :bravo: , I'm really happy for you! Where's my handkerchief, I have to wipe my tears. Good rhythm, right hand's relaxed. Just one tiny tiny I think you need to improve: your left hand little finger. It's tense and looked awkward, remind me of a lever, you know, to open a gate in a dungeon :lol: It needs to be curled like the rest of your fingers.

Here is a video of Mr. Delcamp, watch his left hand little finger

Youtube

and here's yours

Youtube

See the difference? you might want, slow down until you solve this problem or it becomes a bad habit.
Other than that. Good job Nelson, really enjoy your songs and feel your confidence. :casque:

(sorry for my bad English though, if you could help me to correct my English, I will much appreciate :merci: )

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”