D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
John Montes

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby John Montes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Hi John, Thanks for the advice on rhythm and tempo. I have been using a metronome, starting off with a very slow tempo, and working up to a reasonable tempo. Starting off slowly was the best advice. I believe I will have to continue rhythm development by tapping the beat with my foot and tapping the rhythm with a hand on the guitar at the same time. It's fun, but it can be challenging. I have been working out of Ed Sueta's Rhythm Workbooks. Have you heard of him? His workbook have been very helpful. I already recorded my exercises before reading your suggestions, but I will slow way down and strive for perfection/precision and increase speed later from now on. Thanks for your teaching and support. Regards, Nelson.

I've not encountered Ed Suesta's workbooks in personal experience, but it sounds like his teachings have provided you nice results :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:

Very nicely done Nelson, tempo, rhythm and sight-reading were really good :bravo:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

aowinter zhang

Postby aowinter zhang » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:16 am

John Montes wrote:
aowinter zhang wrote:
aowinter zhang wrote:Hello,my teacher and my classmates.this is my first homework. please give me some advice. Thank you very much!
Au clair de la lune

Hi Aowinter,
First, thank for the video submission, you were able to make a recording and post it successfully.

Second, the piece you recorded is "A La Claire Fontaine" versus "Au Clair De Lune"

Third, the very beginning of the recording has some extra notes that cause the timing and pulse to seem out-of-sync, but then you begin to play the piece and notes as notated in the score and things get smoother.

Good alternation between the i & m fingers and avoiding striking two notes back to back with the same finger in these exercises.

thanks for your advice.I will do again. Because I didn't use english for longtime,maybe I can't view myself best.so I just can say thank you. :merci:

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 am

Youtube

This is a resub for my Au Claire to finish up my exams for this lesson.
Kremona Fiesta FC

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:PERFECT, Nelson :bravo: , I'm really happy for you! Where's my handkerchief, I have to wipe my tears. Good rhythm, right hand's relaxed. Just one tiny tiny I think you need to improve: your left hand little finger. It's tense and looked awkward, remind me of a lever, you know, to open a gate in a dungeon :lol: It needs to be curled like the rest of your fingers.

Hi Binh, lol Thanks for the feedback and support. I like to feel my good outcome was a result from everyone's advice. I became more aware of my playing and I was able to focus on my challenges. Next task: I will put effort on getting my left hand in a better position so that my little finger will be curled. And yes, I do see the difference in my left hand position compared to our teacher's hand. With much gratitude, Nelson. :bye:

Ps. Regarding your English - I like your honest and funny approach in conveying your ideas. How can I help? :)

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:24 pm

John Montes wrote:
Nelson Lee wrote:

Very nicely done Nelson, tempo, rhythm and sight-reading were really good :bravo:

Hi John, thanks for the support. I could not have done it with everyones' advice. :merci:

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:59 pm

I love seeing the comrarderie in the class! It's refreshing to see a group of people willing to help each other out for the good of each other.

Nelson, nice approach to the stroke, I would strive to play with the metronome, then record without. Internalizing the beat will allow the listener to fully focus on the hard work that you've put in!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:00 am

John Montes wrote:
Nelson Lee wrote:

Would you mind checking my resub of Au Claire? Thanks much!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:11 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:I love seeing the comrarderie in the class! It's refreshing to see a group of people willing to help each other out for the good of each other.

Nelson, nice approach to the stroke, I would strive to play with the metronome, then record without. Internalizing the beat will allow the listener to fully focus on the hard work that you've put in!

Dear Dustin, good to hear from you. OK, Sounds like a good solid suggestion. I will do this in my next recording. :) Thanks for the tip. Courage for us to move forward! Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:

Hi Dustin, Good to see and hear your Au Claire. Nice arm posture. The effort shows. I can hear the steady beat in the piece, even though you slowed down in the middle. I'm not sure how you go about correcting this middle part except getting more comfortable with that part so that you can play past it without hesitating. As you know, I am working with a metronome and it has helped. Also, I have been tapping the beat with my right big toe and this allows me to keep my head and body still as I play. Please experiment with this because it will keep your head from bobbing up and down though out the piece. It's just visually more pleasing. Courage to both of us to move forward! Looking forward to more of your recordings. Much Regards, Nelson.

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:19 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:

Hi Dustin, Good to see and hear your Au Claire. Nice arm posture. The effort shows. I can hear the steady beat in the piece, even though you slowed down in the middle. I'm not sure how you go about correcting this middle part except getting more comfortable with that part so that you can play past it without hesitating. As you know, I am working with a metronome and it has helped. Also, I have been tapping the beat with my right big toe and this allows me to keep my head and body still as I play. Please experiment with this because it will keep your head from bobbing up and down though out the piece. It's just visually more pleasing. Courage to both of us to move forward! Looking forward to more of your recordings. Much Regards, Nelson.

The slow down was just a snagged nail. I got caught up. The head bob goes nowhere, I'm a choir director, and outward physical expression is something that I naturally do. If I tap my big toe, then I will have a foot tapping and a head bobbing! This was an anomaly noted by one of my professors when I was working on my masters in both choral conducting and music theory.

All told, I downloaded the scores into my iPad in an app call ForScore, and I practice with the metronome on all the time! It's a great tool, and it's always there for quick reference!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:

Nice song, Dustin, :bravo:, the head bobbing :lol: though , "human metronome" hehe. By the way, you look handsome in your shorts and bobbing your head, but we can't see your left hand, you might want to change the recorder from portrait to landscape potion.

And thank you for your advice about buzzing, I tried to change my sitting position to classical position, but It doesn't feel right, awkward and my left shoulder hurt after playing for a while... :cry:

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:06 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:

Nice song, Dustin, :bravo:, the head bobbing :lol: though , "human metronome" hehe. By the way, you look handsome in your shorts and bobbing your head, but we can't see your left hand, you might want to change the recorder from portrait to landscape potion.

And thank you for your advice about buzzing, I tried to change my sitting position to classical position, but It doesn't feel right, awkward and my left shoulder hurt after playing for a while... :cry:

I think that position gets a little more comfortable with time. I'm not really a beginner, but I am starting here to do some much needed technique work. I first started playing CG 12 years ago, and the position was the hardest part at the beginning. There are also ergonomic options that allow your feet to sit evenly on the ground while raising the guitars to an easier to reach position.

Duly noted about orientation. I'm using my phone to record, and I haven't figured out the best method yet. I will fiddle with it, and turn it into landscape! Thanks for the tip!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:44 am

I think about your advice, about my "crowed fingers". It's indeed hinder my fingers movement. Thank you to point that out! Really appreciate it!

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Dustin McKinney wrote:The slow down was just a snagged nail. I got caught up. The head bob goes nowhere, I'm a choir director, and outward physical expression is something that I naturally do. If I tap my big toe, then I will have a foot tapping and a head bobbing! This was an anomaly noted by one of my professors when I was working on my masters in both choral conducting and music theory.

All told, I downloaded the scores into my iPad in an app call ForScore, and I practice with the metronome on all the time! It's a great tool, and it's always there for quick reference!

NEW VERSION
============

Hi Dustin. Good to hear from you. I guess a snagged nail will do it to you every time!

Being a choir director is cool. I love how the art uses the hands to command the beat, tempo, dynamics, and the expression of the music. Even the face (the mouth gestures) plays a role in leading the singers, I believe.

If you are happy with the bob, then the more power to you. I suspect the head bobbing is not a common practice with your playing, since you don't do it in your other videos. You are pretty still with slight emotional expression from time to time. I think it complements your fine playing. We're all here to help and support each other and become better guitarist. Looking forward to more of your music videos and your feedback to my playing as well. Again, thanks for that suggestion of internalizing the beat. Regards, Nelson. :bye:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”