D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Thomas Drummond
Student of the online lessons
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby Thomas Drummond » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm

sounds good!
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 am

My lesson D01-01 video submissions.

Old Mac Donald D01-01-1

Youtube

Au clair do la lune D01-01-2

Youtube

Cant really see the fingerings for right hand in the video, ill try new camera placements in the future.
Im not sure what tempo the videos are at, but with a metronome i was hitting required BPM.

Tomorrow I start D01-02, thanks for any feedback!

edit: not sure why the videos are black, working on it.
(clicking the link below the videos seems to work, but they wont embed) - FIXED
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Craig McCallum

Postby Craig McCallum » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:10 pm

I think you're missing the open string exercise video, but from the two videos I can see -

Sounding good to me Thomas - posture looks good from what I can see in these videos (would be easier to see from a more straight on camera angle), and your right hand fingerings look good as far as I can tell.

Good temp and, other than one bar in the middle of Old McDonald, the rhythms are solid too. There's a slight hitch in the 2nd 'and a .. .. there' bar - I think it's maybe caused by having to take the muting fingers of the left hand off of the strings. If that's the case, then I'd point out that you only need to mute the ringing 3rd string at that point with your left hand - your rest strokes playing the open G string have already stopped the D from ringing on. If you mute the single string rather than barring across both as you appear to be, then you could possibly get back onto the open D more quickly.

Overall though, I think that's a really good first submission :)

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Craig McCallum wrote:I think you're missing the open string exercise video, but from the two videos I can see -

Sounding good to me Thomas - posture looks good from what I can see in these videos (would be easier to see from a more straight on camera angle), and your right hand fingerings look good as far as I can tell.

Good temp and, other than one bar in the middle of Old McDonald, the rhythms are solid too. There's a slight hitch in the 2nd 'and a .. .. there' bar - I think it's maybe caused by having to take the muting fingers of the left hand off of the strings. If that's the case, then I'd point out that you only need to mute the ringing 3rd string at that point with your left hand - your rest strokes playing the open G string have already stopped the D from ringing on. If you mute the single string rather than barring across both as you appear to be, then you could possibly get back onto the open D more quickly.

Overall though, I think that's a really good first submission :)

The single string exercise video uploaded but was corrupted somehow, at this point im going to just skip it.

on the Old MacDonald recording, Until you pointed it out, I couldnt even hear it :roll:
it sounds like i hesitated; i think ill work on that one a few more times in my lesson 2 studies with the metronome to tidy it up.
Im not sure how i can get a straight on camera angle because of my work area, but im aware its an issue; The recording is with a cell phone.

Thanks for the feedback, I have a lot of catching up to do, those recordings are after 2 weeks.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Craig McCallum

Postby Craig McCallum » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Ok, just over a week since I started the lessons so it's time to post first videos.

EDIT: Ok, just noticed that I've recorded the incorrect open string exercise. I'll do a new video tomorrow, but I'll leave this one here since it let me spot some problems with my technique if nothing else :)

Cordes A Vide

Youtube

Old Macdonald

Youtube

Au Claire de la Lune

Youtube

Self criticism:
- timing feels a little off sometimes (especially on Cordes a Vide) - a lot of this is down to not quite getting my nail shaped nicely on my middle finger yet, so it's still catching oddly sometimes. I'm working on it. I did notice it when I recorded this take of the video, but decided to upload it as-is rather than spend all night trying for a perfect take
- right hand position doesn't feel quite right for getting the rest strokes on the thumb on string 4 and then i and m fingers on string 3 in Cordes a Vide - feels awkward
- only noticed when I actually watched my videos back - my left hand position looks really rotated. This probably explains why I feel like I need to hold my left pinkie so straight to reach the notes. Something to try to correct early before it becomes a fully formed bad habit!
Last edited by Craig McCallum on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig McCallum

Postby Craig McCallum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Recorded the correct Cordes a Vide exercise tonight:

Youtube

I'm pretty happy with how the lesson 1 stuff is sounding - I'm up to tempo with all the pieces and I'm ironing out the technique issues I've found. I'm going to spend this week working on some of the early exercises from the Noad book to practice my reading and to be playing something different, and then may re-record these pieces to see if cross training works for musical exercises... if all is good at the end of this week then I'll move onto lesson 2.
Last edited by Craig McCallum on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Im probably too much of a newbie to give real criticism.
Just to note -
try to use the finger tips, not the fleshy part.
and the odd hesitation here and there.

otherwise great job for lessone 1.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

Thomas Drummond wrote:My lesson D01-01 video submissions.

Old Mac Donald D01-01-1
Au clair do la lune D01-01-2

Hi Thomas, Welcome to the lessons! Nice job on the pieces. Good tempo and "feel of the song". It's clear that the guitar is not new to you. Consider working on your LH position. I believe you are using a common LH acoustic guitar technique, and the classical guitar technique is different. Below is a YouTube video for you to check out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTjwvwCZm ... e=youtu.be

Hope this helps. Courage and go forth. Regards, Nelson.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am

Craig McCallum wrote:Ok, just over a week since I started the lessons so it's time to post first videos.
Cordes A Vide
Old Macdonald
Au Claire de la Lune

Hi Craig, Welcome to the lessons here! Nice tempo and rhythm. Consider using a classical LH position. The YouTube video below is excellent on going over the basics of the LH:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTjwvwCZm ... e=youtu.be

Also, your guitar looks high on your chest. Your right arm seems to be bent a lot inorder to position your RH. Know what I mean? Do you have a large mirror so that you can check yourself? Check out the video below:

https://youtu.be/Awl6Q8Ef-RY

Hope this helps. Courage and go forth! Regards, Nelson.

Craig McCallum

Postby Craig McCallum » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:Also, your guitar looks high on your chest. Your right arm seems to be bent a lot inorder to position your RH. Know what I mean? Do you have a large mirror so that you can check yourself? Check out the video below:

https://youtu.be/Awl6Q8Ef-RY

Hope this helps. Courage and go forth! Regards, Nelson.

Thanks Nelson - now that you say that, yes I can see it... that wasn't something I'd considered before about my position, and might actually be part of both my right and left hand problems. Something else to look at - good recommendation on the This is Classical Guitar videos, I'd watched some of them last week, but hadn't finished watching all of the playing position ones they've put up recently.

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Good job Craig! But you have the same problem with your left pinky as Nelson. I repost my comment I wrote for Nelson. It might help a bit. :D

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
PERFECT, Nelson :bravo: , I'm really happy for you! Where's my handkerchief, I have to wipe my tears. Good rhythm, right hand's relaxed. Just one tiny tiny I think you need to improve: your left hand little finger. It's tense and looked awkward, remind me of a lever, you know, to open a gate in a dungeon :lol: It needs to be curled like the rest of your fingers.

Here is a video of Mr. Delcamp, watch his left hand little finger

Youtube

and here's yours

Youtube

See the difference? you might want, slow down until you solve this problem or it becomes a bad habit.
Other than that. Good job Nelson, really enjoy your songs and feel your confidence. :casque:

And here is yours

Youtube

Nelson solves this problem as you can watch on his lesson 4 videos. And you have "right hand stance" problem as him, too. I can't remember where I posted this right hand comment. I notice because I had all of these problem too, so when I saw your videos, I laughed and thought "this dude has the same newbie mistakes as me" :lol: It's super easy to solve though, just to slow down and relax.

Best regards.

JoshBacking

Postby JoshBacking » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi All,

Here are my video submissions for D01-01. I realize I've got a lot of work to do with timing, hand placement, etc. But I wanted to make sure I had the video up after practicing for a week.

cordes a vide 1

Youtube

cordes a vide 2

Youtube

old mac donald

Youtube

au clair de la lune

Youtube

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 am

Craig McCallum wrote:

Nice playing :bravo:

I edited the youtube links in your post, when you have a minute, open up your original video postings and observe how the video tags are formatted.

If you can post future videos that way it will be much easier for us to view/replay the videos and be able to focus on the intended video. The original formatting was causing videos to play in a carousel type mode and rotate into other vidoes :-)

Just remember to only place the youtube video tagID in between the [youtube] anchors.

JoshBacking wrote:

The playing was pretty good although I'm not sure I'd recommend the playing position with the couch as an anchor and resting an arm on the armrest :-)

A foot-stool, a guitar case on the floor, or use of a guitar support that rests on the thigh can be helpful to orient the guitar into a comfortable classical position and allow the left and right hands to have maximum and comfortable access to the neck and strings.

Here's a helpful discussion on holding the guitar
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 am

JoshBacking wrote:Hi All,

Here are my video submissions for D01-01. I realize I've got a lot of work to do with timing, hand placement, etc. But I wanted to make sure I had the video up after practicing for a week.

:bravo: Very nice playing!

Juan Carlos Nieto

Postby Juan Carlos Nieto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:35 am

Hi Craig,
I haven't read any replies to your post so forgive me if I'm redundant on my suggestions.
Very well played. Your timing is pretty good. I noticed that sometimes your timing falls behind; however, I can tell the problem is not your timing but your fingers/nails getting stuck. This just requires practice and figuring out your nails shape/filing. The only other suggestion I have is regarding your posture. It seems like you're placing the guitar too high; this in turn might be forcing you to raise your right arm and slightly bend your right hand. I think you would be more comfortable and better able to keep a good posture if you lowered the guitar. I recommend you to experiment and figure out how much to lower your guitar; especially the right hand area of the guitar. It seems it would let you lower the arm and keep your right hand straight. Keep in mind that only you can determine the position that works best for you; textbook instructions on posture and our suggestions are just baselines or starting points. Other than those 2 issues (nails getting stuck and guitar position) you're doing great.

Keep up the practice,

JC

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”