D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Juan Carlos Nieto
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby Juan Carlos Nieto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:09 am

Hi Josh,
Forgive me if I'm redundant on my suggestions but I haven't read the other replies to your post.
Very well played. I think that, as you already said it, you need to work on all aspects of your posture. Posture is as much a part of playing as is your right hand fingering. Keep in mind that as you practice you are forming habits, so if you practice without good posture, you'll get used to it, which means that it will be easier and more comfortable for you to adopt a wrong posture when playing. It will also be harder to correct it by then. That's why I would suggest that every time you practice, you adopt the right posture. Other than that, very well played.

Keep up the practice,

JC

Juan Carlos Nieto

Postby Juan Carlos Nieto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 am

Nn

Tom Moreno

Postby Tom Moreno » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Thomas & Craig!

I am in the same boat you are-- I actually just got my nylon string guitar recently so its been a lot to learn. It has been amazing to see how many supportive and talented folks seem to frequent this site though. It sounds like the three of us can at least keep each other motivated to get caught up and work our way into D02!

Happy Practicing!
Tom

Ryan Bassette

Postby Ryan Bassette » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I also just jumped on board; maybe it won't feel quite so lonely 'bringing up the rear' now lol. I'm just nearing the point where I feel comfortable making/posting a video (my sticking point has been the thumb rest stroke and the change in right-hand position that seems to entail while alternating with the apoyando i/m...ugh)...I'm also 6'5" and my positioning is still in a state of constant flux/tuning.

Should be fun!

Ryan

Juan Carlos Nieto

Postby Juan Carlos Nieto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Welcome to the group, I'm also behind. Just starting D01 lesson 2.

Good luck!

JC

Craig McCallum

Postby Craig McCallum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

Ryan Bassette wrote: (my sticking point has been the thumb rest stroke and the change in right-hand position that seems to entail while alternating with the apoyando i/m...ugh).

That's definitely the trickiest part of the technical exercises in lesson 1 - I'll pass on the recommendation that I got earlier in the thread for some of tge thisisclassicalguitar videos on youtube, he's produced a series of videos on posture and positioning recently, including one on the right hand position, which are helpful:

Youtube

Youtube

Ryan Bassette

Postby Ryan Bassette » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 am

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

An exhibit in poor lighting (no that isn't 3 different 'axes' lol)...I apologize for the presence of the metronome and it's presence didn't do me any favors because it makes the timing issues far more evident...it seems to be an issue of striking the string without that momentary catching on either the fleshy part and/or the nail...I've gone from nails to no nails in the last week while experimenting with ramps etc; very different from playing with a pick needless to say, where one has a very predictable instantaneous (relatively speaking) attack. I DID play bass for a few years way back, but the strings are fatter and less 'sticky' and I never experienced this issue.

In addition, there is a large variance in attack volume between i and m due to little differences in nail length and the angle of attack due to the longer m finger...I spent ten minute chunks just playing eighths to try to smooth this carefully and I *think* I'm making progress, but it is far from satisfactory. I will say that this making videos 'thing' has forced me to a greater degree of focus on details than I would otherwise hold myself to and I'm excited by that (lol you wouldn't know it but I finally had to commit to a take or I felt like I would never get past week one).

Anyhow, looking forward to bigger and better things after Old Macdonald making me feel small :)

JoshBacking

Postby JoshBacking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi Ryan,

I'm just a beginner, but it sounds good to me. Good job! :D

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 am

Ryan Bassette wrote:

you did fine :bravo:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Georgi Chernishov

Postby Georgi Chernishov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 am

I have no access to the videos now but it seems I have submitted all the required videos for the lesson. I cannot see this lesson as qualifying for the exam. I will try to check the topic again and find the missing Au Clair De La Lune.

Georgi Chernishov

Postby Georgi Chernishov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 am

Georgi Chernishov wrote:Uriel, thank you for your supportive words!
Friends, here is my last recording of Lesson 1.

Youtube

Here is my Au clair de la lune. Could you please accept is as the missing part for lesson 1?

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Georgi Chernishov wrote:Uriel, thank you for your supportive words!
Friends, here is my last recording of Lesson 1.

Here is my Au clair de la lune. Could you please accept is as the missing part for lesson 1?

Yes, this would be the missing piece for L1 exam qualification, the L1 submission is given credit in the D01 section at the beginning of this discussion thread.

Once per day an automated script scans all of the page 1 D0X lesson submissions and then updates the aggregate Qualification for 2017 exams page.

Sometime tonight the aggregate page will be automatically updated.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

FrankORegan

Postby FrankORegan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 am

Hi there

I joined late to this group and have had a run of illness and injury (left hand) to slow progress with practice down even further. Although at this stage I don't expect to get all the lessons completed in the time, I'm aiming to built my ability to hit the ground running for D02 in Sept. (So, I'm the guy on the donkey about a mile behind the rear guard of this lesson group! :) )
Your comments, suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Apologies for the poor sound quality - and the sound of the baby monitor in the Au Clare de al Lune video!

I think my main issues are:
Poor projection from the instrument (I practice quietly in the morning when everyone is still asleep). i.e. I'm being too gentle.
Looking at the videos it looks like my "fret hand" elbow is too low?
Speed is too slow. I need more metronome practice?

Cordes a vide 1

Youtube

Cordes a vide 2

Youtube

Old McDonald

Youtube

Au Claire de la Lune

Youtube
Last edited by FrankORegan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Cordoba C7

Ryan Bassette

Postby Ryan Bassette » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 am

Frank,

Unfortunately all 4 videos are unplayable; this 'may' be as simple as not having set them to public (I did this once and wondered for a week why I had no comments).

I'm in a similar boat with starting late (I'm just finishing up D01 Lesson 03) and doing so as a stay-at-home Dad with a 3 year old...have to squeeze in practice late at night and/or nap time and, unlike with the electric, I can't wear headphones with this guitar (well technically I could, but this would be understandably foolish), so I can empathize with the circumstances definitely.

Look forward to seeing your videos,

Ryan

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 pm

FrankORegan wrote:Hi there

Hi Frank, the first video is fixed, I removed the lengthy youtube URL and left only the videoID# in between the [youtube] tags
If you can open up the original post in edit mode (pencil button) you can see change for the 1st video, just do similar for the other videos.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”