D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Phil Lewis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Phil Lewis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I need to send apologies to the admins and students.
I registered for these sessions with the thought that I would not take face-to-face lessons.
I have since decided that will indeed take lessons, and it is not leaving me with enough time to do both, so I’m afraid I won’t be contributing.
Apologies.
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

Timothy Morgan

Post by Timothy Morgan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Best of luck with your lessons Phil!
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e
1974 Epiphone Caballero FT-130 SB

Timothy Morgan

Post by Timothy Morgan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Grayson,

Good work! And good luck on the Santa request, I too have one out for him.

I have a son that just moved to Ghent for a Masters program and may be able to visit him in the next year. I have never been to that part of the world. The photos are beautiful from what I have seen.
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e
1974 Epiphone Caballero FT-130 SB

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 pm

From Grayson:

"I gather from your signature that you've been playing non-classical guitar for some time, and are referring here to learning music theory?"

I dabbled in guitar in the 70's but never learned much of it and donated my guitar to my nephew. That was more than 30 years ago. I decided 5 years ago that it was something I was still interested in and since have become a collector with a desire to play. I learned songs and got bored with it. My interest drove me towards understanding how and why music works so I've spent the past couple years learning scales and how to derive chords and music patterns from them. It was natural for me to migrate into classical guitar. In terms of classical guitars I am really interested in Japanese guitars, especially from the older luthiers who made guitars in 50's - 80's. There are a couple of really good threads here on Delcamp about Japanese classical guitars. I'm a better guitar collector than I am a player. I can't acquire any more guitars because my wife won't allow me any more room in the house for them. So now I just aspire to play.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 am

Hi Phil,

All the best for you and we keep in touch in another guitar thread in the forum.
Here are a lot of valuable information :casque:
------------------------------------
- Yamaha C40
- Alhambra 3C (my wife's one)
- Antonio Picado Mod.54 2004

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 am

Hi Grayson,

Your wish to Santa for Córdoba is very interesting to me.
What I keen is Córdoba has truss rod as compare to most of classical guitar doesn't. 8)
Here in Singapore is always high humidity between 70-90%. So my guitar neck is alway my worry and here we have a very limited classical guitar shop and repair man. So far, I'm checking my guitar condition when I back to my home in Japan but this is too far and costly.
By having truss rod and adjust myself may be much ease my mind. :D
Last edited by Kazuyuki Kuhara on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Yamaha C40

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am

I’m afraid I won’t be contributing
Best of luck with your lessons, Phil! Perhaps we'll see each other around the forum (once I venture beyond this corner).
I have a son that just moved to Ghent
Timothy, Ghent is a lovely little town! And Belgian culture is very "burgundian," as they say here in NL: eat, drink, and be merry. Definitely visit if you get the chance.
I'm a better guitar collector than I am a player
James, I know the phenomenon! My husband and I have a wall of guitars (and a piano, and a violin) that neither of us play. Only one of the guitars is mine, though — the other four are his. He's never learned to play any instrument and he can't read music, but he's one of those amazing people who can sit down, pick up the guitar, and just move his fingers and it sounds good. Innate musical talent. When I met him, I suddenly understood what makes people like Jimmy Page so good. It isn't just lots of practice.
Córdoba has truss rod ... high humidity
Oooh, Kazuyuki, I hadn't even thought about this. Thanks for the nudge! Humidity tends to be 80-90% here in NL, too. I may need to start hoarding those little desiccant packets that come in lots of packaging...
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Kazuyuki,
High humidity is not as bad as low humidity but it has it's own challenges. Do you live in a dwelling that has air conditioning? If so, that is good but a problem can be introduced when you transport the guitar into and out of the humid air. I don't think I would want to be adjusting the truss rod on my guitar to counter humidity. Have you experienced a change in the forward relief of the neck on your guitar? Typically nylon strings do not exert the stress on a guitar that steel strings do. Expansion/contraction of the neck is typically very slight even in high humidity conditions. If you are not experiencing problems with the neck relief such that buzzing when fretting results then I would not concern myself about needing a truss adjustment on your classical guitar. Just my opinion as I would be fearful of making the adjustment. I live in the south and we have high humidity but not as bad as in Singapore. Our humidity ranges from 70-90% in the summer and we typically do not have problems with tonewood expansion or contraction. Of course we live in air conditioning which makes the humidity level much lower inside. Most of the problems I am aware of are from people in very arid conditions.

On another note; if you live and/or visit Japan then there are plenty of opportunities to acquire very well made classical guitars. Are you familiar with some of the great luthiers from the "Golden Age Of Japanese Guitar"? I recently assisted my nephew in acquiring a 1972 Ryoji Matsuoka M18 that has very unique Ebony inserts along the back of the neck that are used to stiffen it. This is a style introduced by Masaru Kohno in the 60's and this guitar is the only Ryoji original that I've seen with this feature.

So many guitars,... so little house.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi James,
Thanks for sharing information.
Yes, my house has air-condition and usually use it when I play guitar, but not always and also my guitar leaves in tropical temputure while I'm working in the day.
After aged for 13 years my guitar is still seems fine and after I ready your comments, I've gotten much comfortable feeling to keep maintain my guitar as it is. :D

For the matsuoka guitar, i've no chance to play but I've heared it before. Many of Japanese is using either Matsuoka or Kodaira as their solid quality with reasonable price. 8)
Japanese guitar may not be popular than Spanish, German and other European guitar but I like Japanese guitar as my origin country produced.
And actually I'm aiming for Sakurai Kohno or Masaki Sakurai in my next guitar in future. :casque:

But my challenge is $$$....Need to save more $$$ and convince my wife more...
- Yamaha C40

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Kazuyuki,
I am blessed with old age and good health and have been lucky to have had a prosperous career. Now I am in a position to enjoy life and accumulate the things I want. My last guitar purchase is a Sakurai Kohno. I was initially in the process of buying the guitar new from a shop in Tokyo and having it shipped but found a great deal on a used one here in the US. You may laugh but in order to buy this guitar I had to sell another from my collection because my wife would not allocate a new spot for another guitar. We can be blessed, and healthy, and rich but we will truly be wealthy if we have a wife that is happy.

Take care.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi James,
Wow! You must be lucky to found it in US. New and Old guitar doesn't matter as long as you click it then that is the best one!
And that's why it's difficult to find a guitar and also a part of joy, I believe. :D
When I back to my home town in Japan, I go to the multiple shop in Tokyo as much as I can and try guitar.
(I like their smell of nice wood in the shop. And no one disturb to try out as much as I like.)
Yes, I always try Sakurai Kohno especially his ceder model it's warm tone as signature of cedar but clear as well and tone projection is also nice to hear. (Sorry, I'm still beginner my explanation and hearing may be wrong, but I could hear some thing like that compare to others in the shop) and recently I try Yuichi Imai, I love his tone but I do not like his design looks over dressed. :casque:
- Yamaha C40

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm

At long last, my third video for this lesson.

I make a few mistakes in the recording, but that's okay. It's a learning process, and if I wait for perfection, I won't move forward. I will note in my favor that — one moment of hesitation aside when I got befuddled — I soldier on despite the fingering mistakes, so at least I'm doing well on the "keep going and don't stop when you err" front. ;)

Youtube
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Phil Lewis

Post by Phil Lewis » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Grayson,
After reading your post I was expecting the video to be somewhat worse than it is! Very good effort, and it’s absolutely saved by you keeping going...something I personally struggle with!
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Grayson,

Although there are few mistake you mentioned, overall rhym is well done! :D
Yes, we're all in learning process and enjoying it.
Keep moving forward without hesitation is most important.
Another things I had an experience that regret in the past is lost in touch with guitar.
As you see my guitar build in 2004, I bought it around that year. I start practicing it and it was fun, but one day start lost in touch by many other reason then totally lost I touch many years. When I restart it in 2 years back, most of things forgot and most of my effort in past was just gone.
Since then, I decide to keep in touch with guitar even 5min in a day. I even have a day for just clean guitar with playing 1 simple song learn.
So far, it's good and working for me. I start noticing my skill and guitar condition more than before and feel enjoy with more demand to learn.
Finally, playing with guitar become my routine in life, just like take shower, brush teeth. (Some time forget or skipped it as well, just like other routine, too :shock: )
- Yamaha C40

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am

Phil and Kazuyuki, thanks for the encouragement!

James, since you're such a collector, I thought you might like to see my husband's three "interesting" guitars:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”