D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Timothy Morgan
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Timothy Morgan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:32 pm

I am behind in my uploads but have been practicing. We have had much to do on the family front, getting my son moved to Ghent and adjusting with the other children. This weekend we are in Houston for a Depeche Mode concert so no practice or upload but, fun will be had!

Grayson, that sounded good. I feel like I am doing things right until I start the camera, then all of a sudden my fingers fail to respond.
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e
1974 Epiphone Caballero FT-130 SB

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm

This weekend we are in Houston for a Depeche Mode concert
Oooh, Timothy, I'm envious! Enjoy (and post pix when you return :) )
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 am

Grayson,
May I 2nd Kazuyuki's comments. Perseverance and a daily commitment to at the least touch the guitar leads to simple joy. And I hate it when I leave the house and forgetting to brush my teeth. Makes for a rotten day. A day without sweet breath.

These are beautiful guitars, all of them. The 1st one has such gorgeous wood and inlays. Is it an Ovation? The 2nd electric is very nice and I own an electric, a Les Paul 1960 reissue. This one looks awesome but I just don't have the appreciation for electric guitars as I do the acoustics. I don't get the feel of it moving inside me when I play them. One of my goals is to change that in time and should apply the concepts presented by Kazuyuki to expanding my appreciation for them. However, I have a Dobro very similar to this 3rd one. It moves my soul and the natural amplifier effect of it is super-natural. I practiced slide for a while and it is a guitar form that I will get back into. I'm hoping the techniques I'm learning with classical lend towards a better ability on the Dobro.

Thanks for sharing them with me and a good show on the lesson.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am

James, thanks for the encouragement. I agree, it's important to do at least a little bit daily. Aside from helping to progress faster, it keeps your momentum up and avoids that "ugh but I haven't in so long" feeling that can creep in. For the past few years I've used an app called Beeminder to help me make habits and, on the flip side, give myself a sense of accomplishment for even the "little" things I do each day.

That first guitar in the photo is indeed an Ovation. My husband wanted one for quite some time and finally bit the bullet. He bought the resonator on the right because one of his favorite artists often used one (the sadly underappreciated Chris Whitley). It's heavy as sin, but its sound is indeed striking.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Timothy Morgan

Post by Timothy Morgan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Grayson Bray Morris wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm
This weekend we are in Houston for a Depeche Mode concert
Oooh, Timothy, I'm envious! Enjoy (and post pix when you return :) )
I was pretty far back at an outdoor venue but the sound was good. They all are still fit and performed well. The lions share of the material was from their new album but they had ample "vintage" stuff for us 80's kids to relive youth!
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e

Timothy Morgan

Post by Timothy Morgan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am

Hello Class,

Sorry for my tardiness, here are the remaining uploads that are due..........I think

Old MacDonald

Youtube

Au Clair de Lune

Youtube

Il Est Minuit

Youtube

I practice with the metronome and learn the piece then try to record (using my cell phone) and it takes 10 takes! I need cushion on my bench!

Thanks
Tim
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Tim,
Nice work! :D It's very smooth with right pitch and touch. :bravo:
I totally understand recording is very difficult to perform good one. Somehow tiny smart phone makes me nervous. :wink:
------------------------------------
- Yamaha C40
- Alhambra 3C (my wife's one)
- Antonio Picado Mod.54 2004

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Tim,
Very nice. I thought it was perfect from posture, minimized motion and presentation. If I had a constructive comment it would be to check the tuning on your G-string. Might be a little flat but then my ears are old.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am

Wow, very well done, Tim!

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Kazuyuki Kuhara wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:29 pm
Hi Class D1 -2017, :discussion:

Here's my first homework. :D

Kazuyuki,
Hello. I am also a student and will be posting my videos shortly, I registered a few days ago. Your first videos are very good, and the muting technique which you mentioned is challenging you, came through very clearly. The videos are good and the technique is good.
Regards,
Juan :bravo:

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Hello classmates,
By way of introduction, my name is Juan, and I will be posting my homework videos soon. I re-registered a couple of days ago after my account was closed for lack of participation. :cry: Totally my fault for not letting the team know. A chaotic workload got the best of me, and days became months. :desole:

So here we are, let's attempt this again, minus the lack of posting. I notice it is a small class this time around, so I can foresee some quality comments out of our classes.
Congratulations on your postings, they sound great. Also, somewhere in the string, I read about salmon, nice wine, and Depeche Mode.
We will get along just fine :D

Warm Regards,
Juan

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:02 am

Hi Juan,
Thank you very much for your comment and Welcome on board!
:discussion:
Looking forward to hear your play soon!
------------------------------------
- Yamaha C40
- Alhambra 3C (my wife's one)
- Antonio Picado Mod.54 2004

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 am

Welcome, Juan! Great to have you with us. I look forward to seeing your videos.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 am

Welcome to this merry band of pickers Juan.

I'm not familiar with Covina so I Googled it. You're either a restaurant worker in New York or a native of California. Each speaks highly of an appreciation for fine table fare and music. We hope to bandy about in each and possibly other satisfying topics. I'm afraid tonight is quite boring though. Visited the local burger joint and trying to predict what will be required for the next lesson.

Welcome aboard.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Here at long last my final video for this week.Some buzzing strings and far from perfect, but it's here! On to next week with a spring in my step.

Since John noted a preference for all four videos in one place, I've relinked to my first three videos here as well. The new one is at the bottom.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”