D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 am

Does anybody have insight into what the 2nd lesson requirement is?
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 am

Wow, lots of activity since my last check-in.

Craig and Angela, welcome to the group! It's great to have you with us.

Tim, welcome back! I hope you had an enjoyable trip.

James, Kazuyuki, and Craig, thanks for your clear and useful feedback! I'm essentially a complete beginner at guitar, though I've tried over the years to learn on my own, and have no doubt picked up some bad left-hand habits from watching rock-n-rollers with huge hands explain how to position one's left hand so the thumb can fret the sixth string. (Yeah... not in a million years. Not only am I a tiny person with small hands; I have clubbed thumbs.) Craig, the video you linked to is a gold mine. Thank you so much for sharing it! James, thanks for pointing out that I didn't switch fingers — I had no idea I'd done that. I'll give my fingering extra attention in my lesson 2 practice.

Juan, I enjoyed listening to you play. Well done on playing both parts of Cordes a vide in one go :)! I'm especially glad that (like me) you didn't wait for perfection to post your videos. As they say: perfect is the enemy of progress.
James A. Showalter wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 am
It looks like lesson two is now open! Wheeee.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 am
The second lesson was recently posted, it will be in a different topic thread. Lesson #2 will be a continuation of exercises for developing technique, sight-reading etc..

The requirements are generally the same from lesson to lesson, just new exercises or pieces and or technique areas to focus on.

You can find D01 lesson #2 here
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Grayson,
I've tried to play with those Rock-n-Rollers with their 6-digit thumbs. They all told me that I needed to develop the technique of using the thumb on the 6th string and I told them straight up that I would not be developing such talent. One of them is a good friend of mine that I learned a lot of guitar from and I hurt his feelings because I told him I won't play like that.

The next lessons are going to take a lot of effort to stay up with the group. I hope I don't fall too far behind.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm
The next lessons are going to take a lot of effort to stay up with the group. I hope I don't fall too far behind.
You are doing fine, and making nice progress :-)
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Key take away's

--be mindful of timing, note durations, and special markings (dampening, articulation, etc..), learn perfection at a slow comfortable tempo, then increase repetition and tempo -- learn perfect slow, then off you go :-)
--use a metronome or simulator if at all possible during practice to help with tempo, free ones are available as smartphone apps
--with more experience you will encounter repertoire and or hear performances where there are intentional and slight deviations from tempo for expressive and or dramatic effect, but those are learned over time and generally used with artistic taste and restraint

Helpful videos mentioned in previous postings during the lesson #1 period - Bradford Werner videos
Sitting position
Left hand position
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks John.

I think I can speak for the whole group and express our appreciation to you for the kind words of encouragement and helpfulness.

James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Grayson Bray Morris wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 am
have no doubt picked up some bad left-hand habits from watching rock-n-rollers with huge hands explain how to position one's left hand so the thumb can fret the sixth string.
Yeah, that's always seemed a very odd style to me - I played classical first in high school, then played electric later, and could never see the sense of trying to cramp your hand up to hook your thumb over the neck... maybe that's a symptom of starting off on the classical guitar where it's not really an option though :)

But overall, the hand position used by electric/steel string players does tend to be quite different to classical - the whole posture thing does take some getting used to.
John Montes wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 pm
Key take away's

--be mindful of timing, note durations, and special markings (dampening, articulation, etc..), learn perfection at a slow comfortable tempo, then increase repetition and tempo -- learn perfect slow, then off you go :-)
--use a metronome or simulator if at all possible during practice to help with tempo, free ones are available as smartphone apps
--with more experience you will encounter repertoire and or hear performances where there are intentional and slight deviations from tempo for expressive and or dramatic effect, but those are learned over time and generally used with artistic taste and restraint

Helpful videos mentioned in previous postings during the lesson #1 period - Bradford Werner videos
Sitting position
Left hand position
Thanks for the summary John - very useful (especially in the extra-long thread we have for the start of this year).

I'll hopefully get some recordings up tomorrow, having managed to get a shot of the final two pieces tonight. Adding in the 4th finger fretted Bs and the F#s certainly changes things up a bit.

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am

Thank you James. I had read everything, ( or at least thought I did. Turns out the first few pages were still in the printer....LOL

Now I see where it explains the markings.

I’m practicing.
I started late so my first week ends on Tuesday but I might video the exercises earlier so I can get closer to where everyone else is at.

Thank you Craig and Timothy and others who shared some really great information.

Great work Grayson and Juan.

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Juan,

There're some hiccups, but good delivery! :D
------------------------------------
- Yamaha C40
- Alhambra 3C (my wife's one)
- Antonio Picado Mod.54 2004

Kazuyuki Kuhara

Post by Kazuyuki Kuhara » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:05 am

Wow, 2nd home work released!
Craig, thank you very much for sharing very useful youtube :D
I diged this author 'Thisisclassicalguitar', it's amazing! :casque:
There are many useful videos that addressing many of my questions with well guide.
Hope his advice can applied in this lesson to improve my skills. :D
------------------------------------
- Yamaha C40
- Alhambra 3C (my wife's one)
- Antonio Picado Mod.54 2004

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Video time for me.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this - I got back into these pieces fairly quickly, but that's not too surprising considering I had a shot of them back about February or March time.

Cordes a Vide 1

Youtube

Cordes a Vide 2

Youtube

Old Macdonald

Youtube

Il est Minuet

Youtube

There are a couple of little hitches that I think are my fingernails snagging more than anything else - I'm still growing them and shaping them after not really taking care of them until the start of the month. One thing that jumps out at me on video that didn't while I'm playing is a bit of a pause after one of the rests on Old Macdonald - I think it's probably because I'm muting with my right hand as well, which isn't really necessary. I think I might have not muted on one of the rests as well.

On Cordes a Vide 2, I'm still moving my right hand back and forth a lot to try to move between the thumb rest strokes and the finger ones - I need to work on my RH position for that part I think.

But as said, I'm pretty happy - I'm gonna jump into the lesson 2 stuff next week to get a bit caught up with everyone else, since I started late.

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 am

Hey Craig,
It looks good. I agree with the right hand but I struggle with that too. I can’t seem to find the right position to get the thumb notes without shifting my hand.

I did notice the timing got a little bit miss him in Old McDonald but your timing seems good in the other pieces.

Great work

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 am

Craig,
I think you've set the standard for this group. Go with the fine tuning or just proceed into the next lesson. You're caught up.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:24 am

Technically my week isn't up till Tuesday but I'm trying to catch up with the group as well. I'm not totally satisfied. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the scale of the guitar vs the Ukulele I usually play. It will come. My timing could use some improvement as well. My fingers feel fumbly so even though I know when I want the note to sound my fingers aren't reacting as quickly as my mind ;)

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks

- moderator note: Cordes video moved to more recent user post that has the 2nd video submission

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”