D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
andrethompson
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by andrethompson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:09 am

Stefan Prechtl wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 pm
Here is my first take on exercise no.2 from p.6

For me, alternating fingers and thumb makes this one the most difficult of the beginners' lesson. I guess I will have to study it another week to get the damping right.

It took me some time, but homework is done now and here are the results:

I'm looking forwared to your opinions and helpful advises.

Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Nicely done. Love to hear the steel strings.

Juan M Silva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 am

Craig McCallum wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 pm
Hi Juan,

They're sounding good :)

To even up the timing a little, can I ask if you've ever practised with a metronome? I'd highly recommend getting a little cheap one, or downloading a metronome app for your phone.

How I generally use it (as recommended a long time back) is to play each phrase very, very slowly to begin with - as slowly as you need to play it to get both the notes & the timing 100% correct, and can do it 3 times in a row. Only once you've done that do you move onto the next phrase... if you are still making mistakes, or can't get the timing, slow the metronome down by 5 or 6 beats per minute and try it again.

Once you can get each phrase correct 3 times in a row at that speed, speed the metronome up a bit - not too much, maybe as little as 5 or 6 bpm at a time. Again, you're aiming for 100% accuracy 3 or 4 times in a row. If find you can't get it, bring the speed back down again.

The idea is that, rather than the more commonly use 'practice makes perfect', or more correct to say 'practice makes permanent' - if we play the piece too quickly and make the same mistake each time, all we're doing is training our fingers to keep making that mistake... so better to play slowly and accurately, and only build up the speed once our fingers are doing the right thing.

Doing this, you can gradually build up towards the speeds on the sheet music. I started at about 70bpm for Old Macdonald, and am getting up towards the 150bpm by following this method (we'll see if I've actually got there by the time I record videos next week...)
Craig,
I feel so negligent for not responding to you sooner. My sincere apologies. Once the new lessons were out, I went there without looking back much. I am now just seeing this VERY insightful comment. I am not using a metronome, but I will start. You are dead on about training with an aim to play with precision.
Thanks and Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

roga22

Post by roga22 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

i'm the beginner and i read the tips word by word,i understand that i should do practice everyday,don't hurry up,be patient ,thank you!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”