D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.

We are going to talk about the minimum time you need to devote to the study of the guitar, about the position for holding the guitar, and finally about some techniques, exercises and pieces.

Timetable for players of a year's experience:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary for players of this level :
3 days when you can devote 15 minutes to repeating each difficult passage 6 to 12 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by putting a box (a rectangular border) around them.
and
3 days when you can devote 40 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 15 minutes practicing the difficult (boxed) passages,
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 10 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.
So we understand one another properly, here is an example of a timetable where sessions alternate between 15 and 40 minutes:
Monday 40 minutes
Tuesday 15 minutes
Wednesday 40 minutes
Thursday 15 minutes
Friday 40 minutes
Saturday 15 minutes

The position for the classical guitar is the product of past experience. The classical position enables us to reduce effort to a minimum, and has arisen from a compromise between the needs for stability, comfort and the efficient use of both hands.

The principles of this position are:
sitting position, back straight, shoulders level,
the guitar rests on whichever thigh is on the neck side.
We raise the head of the guitar level with our head, with the aid of a footstool or of a support placed on the thigh.
The hand which plays the strings is placed over the sound hole, the elbow rests on the edge of the body of the guitar, level with the bridge.
The arm on the neck side is bent to bring the hand up to the height of the shoulder, the thumb is placed behind the neck, beneath the second fret and behind the third string, the fingers are over the strings.
Try to achieve relaxation, from the shoulders right down to the hands.
Finally, choose a chair of a height that allows your thights to be horizontal, like this your guitar will rest in a stable manner. If your thigh is angled in one direction or the other, your guitar will slip and interfere with your playing.

To begin the course we will firstly look at, or relook at, pages 26 and 58 of volume D01.
- page 26 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE
- page 58 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) REST STROKE - APOYANDO
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stoke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. The work on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and consistence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.

D01 p26 n1 - Delcamp Polyphonie

Youtube

D01 p26 n2 - Delcamp Polyphonie

Youtube

D01 p58 n15 Buté - Apoyando - Rest stroke

Youtube

D01 p58 n16 Buté - Apoyando - Rest stroke

Youtube

Then we will study three pieces, the easiest of volume D02. Two pieces are to be played either with rest stroke or free stroke, both for the melody and for the bass.
- page 7 ANONYME (1750) DANSE D'AVILA with rest strokes (apoyando).
- page 8 Stephen Collins FOSTER (1826-1864) OH! SUSANNA with rest strokes (apoyando). This piece will serve to work on rhythm. To keep time, count out loud the beats as indicated above the stave.
- page 19 ANONYME (1750) QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE with free strokes (tirando),

D02 p7 - Anonyme - Danse d'Avila

Youtube

D02 p8 – Stephen Collins FOSTER (1826-1864) – Oh Susanna

Youtube

D02 p19 – Anonyme - Que ne suis-je la fougère

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 26 du volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE (apoyando).
- page 19 ANONYME (1750) QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE (tirando).
- page 8 Stephen Collins FOSTER (1826-1864) OH! SUSANNA (apoyando).

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions 2017\2018:

page 26 du volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE (apoyando)
page 19 ANONYME (1750) QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE (tirando)
page 8 Stephen Collins FOSTER (1826-1864) OH! SUSANNA (apoyando)

Lucian Bistreanu
page 26 du volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE (apoyando)
page 19 ANONYME (1750) QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGÈRE (tirando)(apoyando)
page 8 Stephen Collins FOSTER (1826-1864) OH! SUSANNA (apoyando
:( + ♫ = :)

David Hobstetter

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by David Hobstetter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:49 pm

It looks like the sheet music for D01-D03 was last changed in 2014. Is that correct? I printed it all out last year and would prefer to save the paper and not print it again if I can do so.

Thanks.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:03 pm

David Hobstetter wrote:It looks like the sheet music for D01-D03 was last changed in 2014. Is that correct? I printed it all out last year and would prefer to save the paper and not print it again if I can do so.

Thanks.
As far as I can see that is correct, based on the version date.
I downloaded them last year and haven't changed them for this year.

Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi classmates, here are my videos:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

:contrat: :D
Last edited by Binh NguyenKhac on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Sembaluk

Post by Matthew Sembaluk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 am

Hello D02 Class! Here are some up-lodes. I am aware of some minor phrasing issues, prolonged rests as well as my thumb being to high up the neck.I am working on cleaning these issues up Other than that please post some criticisms.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Matthew Sembaluk

Post by Matthew Sembaluk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Hi classmates, here are my videos:
]

:contrat: :D
Sounds very clean, no criticisms from me. :bravo:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:41 am

Binh and Matthew,

You both are missing the 2nd part of D01 page 26 Polyphony exercise. You will be given the credit for the exercise once you post the second part.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:09 pm

very good

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:44 pm

I have my recordings, but I am having trouble uploading my audio files. They are in .wav I searched the forum but haven't found a solution really.

Edit: Sorry for this post. I figured out that I need to convert my files to MP3, which required me to download extra software. But the problem is solved! See below.
Last edited by Jenni Gribble on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello Year Two! I am so excited. I have a new guitar, a cedar Cordoba Parlor C9. I put Aquila Alabastro Normal Tension strings on it. I am saving up for a guitar upgrade. But I will be okay with this one for a few years. Later I will use it as a travel guitar.

I have uploaded audio files of the three pieces. It is hard for me to get videos, but I will try to get a few down the line. I admit to having a lot of trouble with apoyando on the second two pieces. My right hand is spastic and affects how well I can stay on beat. Everything is clunky. I can play both songs much better using a free stroke; however, I understand the purpose for practicing apoyando. It helps if my right nails are short when playing apoyando.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Everyone's videos sound and look great!
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Binh and Matthew,

You both are missing the 2nd part of D01 page 26 Polyphony exercise. You will be given the credit for the exercise once you post the second part.
Thanks Marko, here's my 2nd part of D01 Polyphony exercise. I thought I only need to record the 1st one :D

Youtube

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 pm

@Matthew You play well. I really enjoy your video. You might want to count out loud the beat or tap your foot.

@Jenni Gribble play the hard part(the part that you hesitate) slowly and accurately, like for a week, until you can play the hard part fluently. Keep it up Jenni :)
Exercise the hard part is suck, because it's boring, just like exercise. I just want to play the whole song :)

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Matthew Sembaluk wrote:Hello D02 Class! Here are some up-lodes. I am aware of some minor phrasing issues, prolonged rests as well as my thumb being to high up the neck.I am working on cleaning these issues up Other than that please post some criticisms.
Matthew
As Marko has pointed out you haven't posted second part of polyphony, your 2nd video is the APOYANDO exercise
The Danse is very well played, good speed and clean articulation.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:49 am

Dear classmates,
Here is my submission for lesson 1. Thank you for listening.
Polyphonie.mp3
Danse_D_Avila.mp3
OH!_SUSANNA.mp3
:casque: Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”