D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm
Lucian, I have been thinking about your pieces.... Tom's advise about playing the melody is excellent. Also, try concentrating on the areas where you slow down or pause. Play these areas slowly until your fingers knows them well. Please forget my previous suggestion on rhythm exercises..... I don 't think they will work in this case. Nelson.
OK, thank you Nelson! :)

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Setareh Pishdad wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 pm
Hello classmates, here are my submissions for the first lesson. Thanks for taking a look at them.
Setareh
Have a look at your post. I've edited the last video to show how you can embed it into the lesson so folks can see it without going out to Youtube.
If you click on the little pencil icon at the beginning of your post you will see the detailed edit.
Regards
Colin

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 am

Hi every one sorry being for so late due to work. Anyway here are my assignments.

D02 Jean Francois Delcamp Polyphonie N2

Youtube

D02 Jean francois Delcamp Polyphonie N1

Youtube

D02 Stephen Collins Foster Oh! Susanna

Youtube

The final assign is coming soon. Hope you :casque:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Rajesh - welcome to the class. Well done with the assignments. Looking forward to your participation.

Ed

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:28 am

Rajesh, your pieces that you posted sound very good. You kept a fast tempo while playing Oh Susanna correctly. Looking forward to hearing your other pieces.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 am
Hi every one sorry being for so late due to work. Anyway here are my assignments.

Well done Rajesh, :bravo:

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 am

Hello all.
I am just over a month on the lessons, but started on D01. Now that I am caught up at that level I decided to start level D02 with the intention of completing both levels. These are my first submissions.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Jules - welcome to D02. Well done on the exercises. I like to position of both your left (something I continue to work on) and your right arms. I also like the fact you have little movement in your right hand. Well done.

Ed Butler

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome Ed. It is rather ironic in a sense that you liked my positions...I started working on lesson 2 last night and got stumped on exercise 6. Every time I would try for a reasonably straight wrist either I would end up in a horridly uncomfortable position or my guitar would start to slip off my legs or both, especially if I added the extra challenge of keeping fingers parallel with the frets. I have been experimenting with different chair heights and watching videos on position (some of which are dangerous to watch as their positions are poor, but others are very valuable) so this morning the first thing I did upon getting up is to try a different chair and see if I could improve my position. After struggling with no real success I signed in and read your comment. Everyone's body is different and my issue may be related to scoliosis resulting in long arms in relation to back height, so I must continue to search for what works best. Your note did prompt me to look at your submissions and I can see that you are, as you said, still working on finding what works. I found this site to be very helpful: https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/. You may want to check out the posture lessons. Unless our posture is good we will never be able to get our hands right. If you change your posture your playing will immediately suffer (your fingers will get lost) but it will quickly adjust with major positive results.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Jules - you are right I am a sloucher. Something I have been working on a long time. I have used the site you mentioned along with others to try to work my way out of it, but I keep falling back to old habits when I get lazy. Just need to keep working on it. Good luck with the rst of the lessons.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Jules, welcome to the class!
Bravo for your one month D01, that's impressive.
And well done on the first D02 lesson.
Keep up the good work,

Lucian

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 am

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles inline and close to fingerboard. Thumb in vertical position.
3. Right hand fingers puck at 45 degrees to guitar strings.
4. Experiment with guitar posture. Left leg positioned to center. Guitar at 45 degree. Headset at eye level.
5. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson

Ps. Special thanks to Binh for the pinky exercise. I will try to get better at it!

Que Ne Suis- Je A Fougere

Youtube

Oh Susanna

Youtube

Polyphony

Youtube

Binh's Pinky Exercise

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have include two pieces from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.

Aguado Leccion

Youtube

Lo Nous Marchons

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Nelson - well done. I really liked the movement of your right hand up and down the neck. Welcome to the class. Looking forward to your next set of exercises.

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Welcome to the class Nelson. :guitare:
You make it difficult to critique your play for two reasons. Firstly there is your list of things you are concentrating on which arguably covers the vast majority of areas we all need to be working on, and secondly you have done an admirable job with the pieces. But you asked for feedback by which I don't think you were interested solely on receiving a series of thumbs up, so I will give you a few observations/considerations:
1) You can add to your list attempting to snug your left hand fingers up to the frets with the minimum amount of pressure required to give you a clean note. Actually with the occasional exception of that pinky that gives us all such a hard time you do a pretty good job of getting close to the frets, but from what I hear from players infinitely better than me it is something that even they continue to work on.
2) To further train our pinkies especially but really our entire left hand we need to be doing daily reach exercises. These lessons introduce us to some, but finding more is hardly a bad idea.
3) If you are not already incorporating slur exercises into your daily routine you should start. You are clearly ready for them and there is arguably no better way to train your left hand in terms of finger strength and independence. Combined with reach exercises this is what we need to develop a great left hand.
4) Like Ed I admire the way you are moving up and down the guitar to vary the timbre, but my admiration in the specific pieces is more from a technical perspective than listening enjoyment. In other words, you are teaching your right hand to strike the notes correctly regardless of what area they are in, and that is very valuable, it will ultimately serve you well, and is something I encourage you to keep doing at least until it feels natural and automatic. Indeed I should be emulating you in this endeavor. In terms of interpreting the specific music however I personally feel that you miss the mark on these pieces and that playing more with tempo, volume and vibrato would have been more musical. Altering the timbre when used judiciously is a wonderful tool of expression, but doing it just because you are able to can distract from an otherwise well executed piece of music, which IMHO is what happens in your submissions.
I trust my comments do not detract from my overall :bravo: . You are a welcome addition to our small group (which I too joined late and am slowly catching up) and I am overall very impressed with your play and the obvious efforts you are putting in to learning this great instrument. Well done.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi Nelson. I tried to post earlier today but I must have messed something up because I lost my post... :x If I repeat something already noted by someone else, I apologize.

First of all, I am amazed by how you can move your RH while playing. When I do this I usually mess up notes, especially when doing this spontaneously (i.e., unrehearsed), as you appear to be doing.

I also feel you demonstrate what I think is proper tempo work using a metronome. You were counting out and playing to tempo, while listening to the metronome. You would occasionally get slightly off tempo (from the metronome), notice it, and self-correct to get back on beat. I think this is how to do it.

Your guitar sounds better than the last time I heard you play. It's been a while, but I think your string pluck technique (how's that for musical terms?) has improved. I don't hear the strong staccato sound now. Sounds great!

I noticed your pinky finger was a little high on the fretboard relative to the fret on occasion, causing a string buzz. This happens to me quite frequently, because I normally don't look away from the score when playing (an old typing habit I believe - but that's another story). You may be doing this already, but when I buzz a string like that while practicing I stop and look, or stop and move my finger around, then repeat until I get it right. In this way I sort of re-calibrate my feel for finger positon for a given note.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”