D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi,Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Rest Stroke #16" rerecorded video for your viewing.I was advised to try to keep legato, meaning smooth transition between fret to fret without pause. :)

Youtube

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:05 pm
Hi,Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Rest Stroke #16" rerecorded video for your viewing.I was advised to try to keep legato, meaning smooth transition between fret to fret without pause. :)

Youtube
Thanks for posting Zafar,

I can see you are playing the rest strokes OK but hope you don't mind if I pick you up on a few points.

1. You have missed out one of the position shifts as indicated in the music ie the shift from position I to position III - you go straight from positin I to postion V.

2. You are pausing after every 3 notes so are not playing it legato. If you watch the video of JF you will see the difference.

3. I think you are playing the thumb rest strokes and I know this piece is marked mezzo piano, but your thumb rest strokes are too queit at times and are drowned out by the trebbles.

In order to play legato you could try counting as JF does in some of his examples <one and two and three and one and two and three and> or you could try using a metronome. You probably need to slow it down a bit as well, you are playing this exercise faster than JF.

I know how difficult it is once you get into bad habits, but keep trying - you could also try playing the video of JF and playing along with him.

Good luck and keep practicing. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi,Classmates,
Here is a study assignment "Damp #51,52,53,54 taken from volume D03" video.
Exercise 52C,53 b,c not yet ready.My fingers not respond correctly for these exercises.
I did repeated some exercises to get it corrected.

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi,Dave,
Thanks,
Your advice is useful and helpful to me.I'll watch Mr.Delcamp video and play along for exercise Rest Stroke # 16.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi,Classmates,
I'm posting my study assignment "Rest Stroke # 16 take 3" video for your viewing.
Thanks to Dave for his advice and taking pain to watch and write mistakes he observed. :)

Youtube

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm
Hi,Classmates,
I'm posting my study assignment "Rest Stroke # 16 take 3" video for your viewing.
Thanks to Dave for his advice and taking pain to watch and write mistakes he observed. :)
Well done Zafar, much better. Your timing/legato is now much improved and you have the position shifts right.

This exercise is not nearly as easy as it looks as there is quite a lot going on here - imimi alternation, position shifts and of course the double rest strokes with the thumb and finger together. In fact the thumb and finger are so close that it takes real effort and accuracy to avoid having them crash into each other.

I am still working on this one as I keep missing the odd thumb rest stroke. It's hard to tell, but you may be doing the same.

There are some who say (though this is disputed) that it takes 10,000 hours to become proficient at the guitar and you are certainly putting the hours in. Well done and keep up the good work. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi,Dave,
I need help in study assignment "Stephanie Foret Bretonneuse" measure 17,acciaccaturas playing.I know by definition that small note "g" with cut line to be played first than slide and hammer on the major note "A" on high string.Is this what applicable in this exercise?
Please explain to me and to any other student.In this exercise I already sorted out the notes and finger placement.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Zafar,

In measure 17 you simply pluck with your 4th finger on the 3rd fret, then quickly slide up to the 5th fret. The initial g played on the 3rd fret is almost like a grace note so the slide is done quickly. Have a go. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi,Dave,
Thanks,
I understood now.Just slide from third fret "g" to 5th fret "a" note and play the low half note "d" and high quarter note "a" together.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm
Hi,Classmates,

Youtube
This is WAY much better, Zafar!
Sorry, cannot help my curiosity: what are these red/blue/black levers in the right corner of the video frame?
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 pm
Hi,Dave,
Thanks,
I understood now.Just slide from third fret "g" to 5th fret "a" note and play the low half note "d" and high quarter note "a" together.

I started with the base and trebble together at the start of the slide (ie d and g). To my ear that is how JF played it, but then I could be wrong.

I was also curious about your levers - cash register, controllers for a train set or perhaps a fancy sound system. .... reminds me of s song I once heard 50 ways to love your lever.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am

Amazing how a simple thing like imimi alternation can catch you out. Here is my exercise 16 again, hoping it is a little better.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi,Dave,
These levers are not related to sound or guitar.These levers are for Flight simulator aircraft engine throttle,mixture controls for multi engine aircraft.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am

Hi everyone, here are my submission videos

Youtube

Youtube

I appreciate your feed back and comments. Thanks.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am
Hi everyone, here are my submission videos

I appreciate your feed back and comments. Thanks.
Thank you for posting Binh, well done - it takes some courage to post for the first time.
There is quite a lot to talk about here.

Posture - The classical guitar is normally supported on the left leg and held at an angle of at least 45 degrees. You appear to be holding it roughly horizontal and on the right leg.

Allegro There is lots of damping in the base for this piece which of course makes the piece much harder to play. These are indicated by an astrix (*).

The first damping is at the start of bar 2 and this means that the open A string must be damped with the thumb at the beginning of this bar. There is a similar example in bar 6 where again the open A string must be damped. In the last 3 bars ie bars 9,10,11 there is an asterix (*) against each of the base notes. This means that for each base note played the previous base note must be damped with the thumb.

In addition, JF has stated that in the Allegro the melody is in the base and many students have taken this to mean that the piece should be played with thumb rest stroke throughout, though as this has not been explicitly stated it could be a matter for personal preference.

Bretonneuse

The first 7 bars of this piece are rushed. Each of these chords consist of minims and should last a full 2 beats. Again you have missed the base damping throughout this piece. I like the rallantando at the end though.

I would suggest that you listen to JF's version of both these pieces and compare it with your recording.

Good luck and keep practicing. I look forward to hearing you play again.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”