D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 am
Here is my best attempt so far at the Bretonneuse, still a few stutters here and there.

Youtube
Sounds good, but I noticed some right hand problems: you consistently stroke E string with a finger, B string with m finger and G string with i finger. No alterations take place. I think this is important to do alterations even for inconvenient string crossings. Here is a super-useful exercise which really helped me to do string crossings better. It from my primary guitar school I started with:
The most important part is the right hand fingering: it should be strictly like indicated above: i m i m i .... (NOT m i m i ..). This is _not_ the most comfortable fingering, but it is done on purpose to work through difficult cases: like plucking B string with i and then G string with m.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 pm

I meant alternation, not alteration :)
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 am

Thank you so much for your help Andrei and for going to the trouble of posting an exercise for me,

You are quite right of course, the fingers should be alternating. I have just been working my way through the fingerings for this piece and putting them onto the pdf, but I'm embarassed to say that I don't know how to post an image on this forum. How do you do that?

I came up with a couple of alternative RH fingerings - one with uses am /im type alternations, but has some repeated fingers (this seems more natural). The alternative is to use ami type alternations in places which seems less natural, but might work OK with some practice.

I intend to post this piece again when I have the fingerings right.

Once again, thanks for yer help me 'ol china.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 am
I don't know how to post an image on this forum. How do you do that?
If you go to the full editor option on the text box, below the submit button you will see tab for attachments which allows you to select a file. You can also drag and drop into the text box but that can be impossible on an iPad.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm
Here is a super-useful exercise which really helped me to do string crossings better.
Can I add my thank for the exercises Andrei I think I'll find them useful as well.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks Colin, I didn't spot that.

Here is where I'm at with the RH fingering so far.
bramleRH.jpg
All comments welcome of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am
Thanks Colin, I didn't spot that.

Here is where I'm at with the RH fingering so far.

bramleRH.jpg

All comments welcome of course.
Hey Dave, the fingering looks very good! Of course, sometimes it is necessary to repeat fingers (there is no other way when playing chords). I think after a chord it is fine to play the E string with 'a'. Like in the Bar 11 (in a rectangle): 'a a m a' is totally acceptable I guess as the first 'a' was from a chord.

The 'ami' type in playing fast passages probably has the greatest potential (not really applicable to our piece). But it might be very VERY difficult to master, especially if one always did 2 fingers alternations. I never practiced it and cannot play a simple G scale with 'ami' even at slow tempo (only 'im', 'mi', 'am', 'ma'). Watch Fluid Approach To Fast Scales by Matt Palmer to get the idea.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 am
I don't know how to post an image on this forum. How do you do that?
If you go to the full editor option on the text box, below the submit button you will see tab for attachments which allows you to select a file. You can also drag and drop into the text box but that can be impossible on an iPad.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm
Here is a super-useful exercise which really helped me to do string crossings better.
Can I add my thank for the exercises Andrei I think I'll find them useful as well.
Ah, that's a good point, Colin. I uploaded images to some hosting service (like imgur) and then inserted the img tag with a link. Attachments are easier to do and more reliable. Thanks!

As of exercises, this is just one out of hundreds. And all of them are structured into progressive units. This is from g i t a r a n o s o v.ru (I started it a couple years ago and still learning, now at lesson 115 (out of 160)). The only thing is that all of them are in russian (there are LOTS of details, descriptions, explanations, examples). The site itself has an auto-translation button in the right corner. But lessons are in PDF and in russian only. This is the most comprehensive self-study school I have ever seen. Hopefully, at some point it'll get translated.
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi,Classmates,
Here is my attempt to show class assignment "Damp # 55) for viewing.Please advice.After two weeks of practice all of exercises for this month,I felt,I'm not confident enough to achieve presentable recorded video.All exercises demand high level of both hands synchronization,finger independence,dexterity,fast tempo.Will keep practicing until good enough to record for viewing. Slow progress :)

Youtube

Well done, I watched all of your assignments for this month.
Andrei Puhach,you did a great presentation.Clearly show your both hands are coordinating well and nice to listen the melody.

DaveMoutrie,Well done for your exercises.I watch and like your presentations.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm
Hi,Classmates,
Here is my attempt to show class assignment "Damp # 55) for viewing.Please advice.After two weeks of practice all of exercises for this month,I felt,I'm not confident enough to achieve presentable recorded video.All exercises demand high level of both hands synchronization,finger independence,dexterity,fast tempo.Will keep practicing until good enough to record for viewing. Slow progress :)

Youtube

Andrei Puhach,you did a great presentation.Clearly show your both hands are coordinating well and nice to listen the melody.

Hi Zafar, it is nice to see you back and posting assignments!
Indeed, some exercises are rather difficult. I find that it gets better after a couple days, even when during a practice session zero progress is observed. I think we all know this 'Slow progress' thing. Not sure if there is any student who experienced faster than expected progress (like I practised so little and play so well :lol: ).
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:59 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Classmates,

Welcome back Zafar, and well done on your exercise. Sounds pretty good to me, I hope it will be the first of many.

What Andrei says is spot on. Sometimes I seem totally unable to get a decent recording. Last year I nearly gave up D03 because I thought I wasn't up to it, then finished up having to play catch up.

I guess when things are not going too well we just have to rely on Percy and trust that things will come right in the end.

Things are getting a little harder this year and I've been struggling a bit with the exercises. Then again, we all like a challenge and the idea of this course is to push ourselves that little bit further and hopefully become better guitar players.

Keep up the good work Zafar, I look forward to hearing you play again. :bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
After two weeks of practice all of exercises for this month,I felt,I'm not confident enough to achieve presentable recorded video.
You're not the only one, some of us haven't posted yet. You can't expect to keep up with musical gazelles like Dave and Andrei :D

Seriously, great to see you posting and I'm sure it will improve with practice. Take it slow - like me - and I'm sure you will get there. Like Dave I find it hard some days to acheive a clean recording. well done

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi,Colin.Andrei,Dave,
Thanks,
Your warm welcoming remarks and advice really put me back on path to continue and look forward in positive way to achieve required results.I'll keep my hopes alive working hard along with you good guys.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 am
Here is the rest of the assignment

- page 102 (D04) Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse

Youtube

I worked on the piece a lot and somehow got tired of it and have no motivation to really polish it, so there are some mistakes here and there...

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 am
Here is my best attempt so far at the Bretonneuse, still a few stutters here and there.

Youtube

Nicely done! Andrei and Dave :bravo: . Your plays are both smooth and emotional.
In my humble opinion, the bass line and the melody line are like dancers. The bass is a male dancer and the melody is the female. They support each other and one can not perform well without the other.
Let's listen to master Delcamp's video, from 0:22 to 0:35

Youtube

His bass line is independent and loud, separated from the melody, just like a duet guitarists play together. His right thumb technique is excellent to achieve that.
When I listen to your videos, I feel like the bass line is weak and mix with the melody notes. It takes time to practice right thumb independent though.
I'm practicing this song too, and love to hear your criticisms when I finish. :merci:

@Dave I feel like you are obsessed with speed. Honestly to play as fast as you, requiring excellent technique. You play fast but rarely make a mistake, and that is hard. I can never play as fast but the same time flawless as you. But because it is fast, I can feel rushed, emptiness, like you have to go somewhere in a hurry :lol: . I learnt a lot from you Dave, from D03 lessons, and watching your videos has helped me a lot. I wish you the best. :merci:

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

@Dave I feel like you are obsessed with speed. Honestly to play as fast as you, requiring excellent technique. You play fast but rarely make a mistake, and that is hard. I can never play as fast but the same time flawless as you. But because it is fast, I can feel rushed, emptiness, like you have to go somewhere in a hurry :lol: . I learnt a lot from you Dave, from D03 lessons, and watching your videos has helped me a lot. I wish you the best. :merci:
Hi Binh,

Thank you for your comments - I do of course make plenty of mistakes - Often, I record myself a lot of times in order to get one take that sounds reasonably OK.

Also I get nervous when the video camera is on and this has 2 effects: Firstly I tend to speed up because I am nervous. Secondly I tend to make more mistakes! I'm planning on deliberatly slowing it down for one recording to see if I can do it.

My advice to you is to have a go and make a recording and post it here as soon as you feel able. It doesn't have to be perfect and accuracy is certainly preferable to speed.

The sooner you are able to post your recordings here, the sooner you will be able to get help and advice from your fellow students.

Many of my D03 recordings have been of the <could do better> type, but I feel I have benefitted enormously from the help and advice of my fellow students and for this I will be for ever grateful.

Good luck Binh and I look forward to hearing you play. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll post my videos at the end of this week.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”