D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:57 pm

My submissions for this session. Sorry that I don't contribute much to the thread lately. I've been busy lately (hurricane evacuation, cleanup, ...). Moreover, most of the posts are very well done. Besides some tone/mood production choices, there are not much to complain about.

Page 58:

Youtube

Youtube

Page 126: I cannot do some of the combinations reliably (esp when playing after another combination).

Youtube

Allegro opus 50 no 13: need to work on my right hand's stability. There is a big movement when I hit the bass note using rest stroke.

Youtube

Bretonneuse: missing a few dampings and notes.

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

When I listen to your videos, I feel like the bass line is weak and mix with the melody notes. It takes time to practice right thumb independent though.
I'm practicing this song too, and love to hear your criticisms when I finish. :merci:
Thank you, Binh, for your feedback! I'll keep working on this. The first step might be keeping the bass line as is but playing the melody softer.
I realized recently how important RH finger independence is and included exercises into my daily routine (before I mostly played scales not paying enough attention to RH exercises).
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:57 pm
My submissions for this session. Sorry that I don't contribute much to the thread lately. I've been busy lately (hurricane evacuation, cleanup, ...). Moreover, most of the posts are very well done. Besides some tone/mood production choices, there are not much to complain about.
Hi Chu, I hope you are fine and not affected much by the hurricane.
You already commented your own submissions, not much to be added :)
I guess nailless technique makes coordination, synchronization and finger independence efforts more difficult.
Your rest stroke exercises are very well done.
Some damps are a bit rough. When I transitioned from one combination to another I took some time in between to imagine the next combination first, this helped a bit (esp that p + m / i + a thing and also m / p + i + a).
Allegro is well done. Even though the right hand moves a lot the bass line is loud and clear.
In Bretonneuse at 0:31 acciaccatura should be performed faster, I think you spend too much time in G (and then in F at 0:37) From the Wiki definition: ...performed as quickly as possible before an essential note of a melody...
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi,Chu,
Good to see you back safe from Hurricane.Hope you will settle soon.
Your all exercises are well prepared nicely done,very impressive.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi,Andrei,
In exercise Stephanie Foret Bretonneuse,measure 8 to measure 15 is under repeat sign.You did it very well except this repeat.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi,Classmates,
I recorded these two exercises "Rest Strokes #15,16 separately and combine them in final editing. :)

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:17 am

Chu Bun wrote:
My submissions for this session. Sorry that I don't contribute much to the thread lately. I've been busy lately (hurricane evacuation, cleanup, ...).
I'm amazed you had any time to practice and record, you must have been in the thick of it! Glad to hear you are safe and we'll.
Can't really add to your own comments, I like the flow of the Allegro and the melodic bass line, you bring it out well.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:45 am

Thank you all for the comments and encouragements. I listened again to the acciaccaturas in your guys' clips, and mine does sound strange.
I slacked off during summer and really need to build up my finger strength and some calluses. The lessons get harder every year and my skill seems to stay at D02 level.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:59 am

Zafar,

The bass notes in your clips are barely audible. I think you should try only the bass notes first. Shift your hand around to find an position where you can best exert control over the loudness and tone of the notes. Next play only the treble notes. Then play both together.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Pleased to see you made it through the hurricane unscathed. Hope there wasn't too much damage.

Very well done on your submissions - Your dampings on the allegro are very good. I have slowed it right down now and am still struggling.

I guess there is quite a bit that could be done with the allegro in terms of varying the tone on the repeated sections, but this is largely down to personal preference. Also of course, this piece is Allegro which means it is supposed to be played fast. We all need to start off slow in order to learn a peice, but I guess that once we have it under our fingers it is time to start working it up to the correct speed.

Exercise 15 The dampings are very good and nicely together. You seem to have totally neglected the dynamics though. f - mf mp etc.

Exercise 16 Again dampings are good, but the whole exercise is supposed to be played mp. You are playing it too loud - more like f than mp.

As for the Bretoneuse, I agree with what Andrei said about the slidy uppy downy bits needing to be quicker. And of course doing something with the repeated phrases.

All things concidered, you have done very well. Keep up the good work. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:38 pm
Hi,Classmates,
I recorded these two exercises "Rest Strokes #15,16 separately and combine them in final editing. :)

Youtube
Hi Zafar, thanks for submitting

I noticed in exercise 16 there is a pause every time your left hand moves up the fret board and changes position. This probably means you are playing the exercise too fast, or not anticipating the transition enough in advance. In either case you need to slow the exercise right down and practice each transition individually untill you can get it nice and smooth and legato.

Also, the volume of your notes seems to decay rapidly to nothing. Does your guitar really sound like this in real life, or is it a problem with the recording? I seem to remember you had a similar problem last year. Guitars record better with the low pass cutout and automatic level control turned off.

Good luck and keep practicing. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Just been slowing down the Allegro in an effort to get the dampingtons a little better.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi,Chu,Dave,
Thanks,
I'll resubmit exercises 15,16 correcting the issues raised by you.It is time to replace strings for "notes volume decay fast" issue observed.It may improve the base level too.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi,Dave,
Well done,
Allegro exercise have good tempo.rhythm,melody.Few finger tripping.Enjoy listening to this piece .Need front light to illuminate the guitar neck .Good audio quality.Video quality darker.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm
Hi,Andrei,
In exercise Stephanie Foret Bretonneuse,measure 8 to measure 15 is under repeat sign.You did it very well except this repeat.
That's a good catch, Zafar, somehow I completely missed that... Thank you for pointing out!
Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”