D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm
Hi,Dave,
Well done,
Allegro exercise have good tempo.rhythm,melody.Few finger tripping.Enjoy listening to this piece .Need front light to illuminate the guitar neck .Good audio quality.Video quality darker.
Thanks Zafar,

I think the problem with the light is to do with the automatic exposure system and the fact that the light was coming from behind me. I could use the exposure compensation option, or try drawing the curtains, or maybe just record in the bedroom again where the light is coming straight at me.

As for finger tripping - one of my main problems, I find it hard to get a clean recording sometimes. I may even have to resort to digging out the gnome who cometh from the metropalis again.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm
Zafar Haq wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm
Hi,Dave,
Well done,
Allegro exercise have good tempo.rhythm,melody.Few finger tripping.Enjoy listening to this piece .Need front light to illuminate the guitar neck .Good audio quality.Video quality darker.
Thanks Zafar,

I think the problem with the light is to do with the automatic exposure system and the fact that the light was coming from behind me. I could use the exposure compensation option, or try drawing the curtains, or maybe just record in the bedroom again where the light is coming straight at me.

As for finger tripping - one of my main problems, I find it hard to get a clean recording sometimes. I may even have to resort to digging out the gnome who cometh from the metropalis again.
Wat?! I thought this lighting was set up on purpose for better artistic effect. No?
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 am

Ha ha, yes it was done for effect. do you think I would make a good vilain in an edwardian play?

Perhaps I should get some dry ice and start my performances by appearing from the smoke with an evil laugh. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi all,

Here are my exercises for this month - some are repeated as they were not quite right the first time.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Hi all,

Here are my exercises for this month - some are repeated as they were not quite right the first time.
Hey Dave, in ex16 the RH finger alternation is not pefrect, but sounds clean. In the next damp exercise where the 'p a p a p a' pattern is use I think you do not mute strings.
Overall good, but maybe too fast sometimes.
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Hi all,

Hey Dave, in ex16 the RH finger alternation is not pefrect, but sounds clean. In the next damp exercise where the 'p a p a p a' pattern is use I think you do not mute strings.
Overall good, but maybe too fast sometimes.
Thank you for your comment Andrei, always very helpful.

RH finger alternation seems to be a bit of a common theme for me here and something that perchance I must work upon, though I hadn't noticed it was a problem here so thanks for pointing it out.

As for the pa pa alternation, do you mean exercise 46c? Listening back to it, it certainly does not sound as clean as it could. In the JF video I think he is even keeping the fingers planted (ie damped ) that he was not using to play with. In other words i and m remained planted while he was alternating with p and a.

I really don't practice these exercises enough. I guess they are boring, but necessary. :(
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am

Andrie, just wondering, when you say that my RH finger alternation is not perferct, are you referring to the fact that my i finger is kicking out like a crazed can can dancer afraid that a wasp will sting her on her buttocks?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am
Andrie, just wondering, when you say that my RH finger alternation is not perferct, are you referring to the fact that my i finger is kicking out like a crazed can can dancer afraid that a wasp will sting her on her buttocks?
Oh, I meant using the same finger (i) twice in a row. Funny analogy though ;)
In these exercises exaggerated movements are probably fine.
Honestly, I don't think i-m-a damps are used so often comparing to 'p', I would concentrate more on thumb damping while playing passages on higher strings with i, m, a.

As of economy of movement in the right hand I like how Sanel Redzic does that. Watch some videos for inspiration :)
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm

As of economy of movement in the right hand I like how Sanel Redzic does that. Watch some videos for inspiration :)
In particular I mean Choro de Saudade by Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:03 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm

In particular I mean Choro de Saudade by Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Thanks for the link and the encouragement Andrie- I certainly need it. Turns out that far from being a musical gazelle I appear to be a not very musical sloth with athsma and a particularly bad limp.

I'm now slowing things down and going back to basics. That is when I'm not pretending I'm good enough to post on D05. Could I be a sort of Jekyl and Hyde character. Ha ha I will drink the potion, undergo the transmogrification and post on D05.

Love the Barios by the way, always been a big fan, and Sanel Redzic's fingers hardly appear to move at all. Very inspirational. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi,Classmates,
Thanks to
Andrei,Dave,Chu,
You were right in advising me to check my recording system as well to check guitar for base notes which were fast diminishing on play.
I, finally able to install Microsoft encoder 9, 64 bit for audio video recording in windows 10.I'm also able to install Microsoft Movie maker for windows 10 for editing and producing final video for your viewing.Both these programs are no more supported by Microsoft. I'm first time using a guitar which produces and sustain the base notes longer.I already restrung my original guitar and tuning is still pending. Please advice,if you feel any difference in quality or any technical advice for this exercise. :)

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:51 pm
Hi,Classmates,
Thanks to
Andrei,Dave,Chu,
You were right in advising me to check my recording system as well to check guitar for base notes which were fast diminishing on play.
I, finally able to install Microsoft encoder 9, 64 bit for audio video recording in windows 10.I'm also able to install Microsoft Movie maker for windows 10 for editing and producing final video for your viewing.Both these programs are no more supported by Microsoft. I'm first time using a guitar which produces and sustain the base notes longer.I already restrung my original guitar and tuning is still pending. Please advice,if you feel any difference in quality or any technical advice for this exercise. :)

Youtube
Hi Zafar, thank you going through all this hassle to produce better videos :) Now the quality is much better.
As of the exercise, the most important part thing is done right (simultaneous rest strokes), but there are still 2 problems:
1. Rhythm: the meter is 3/4, each measure has 3 quarter notes, so, it should be played continuously without and rests, like: ta ta ta ta ta ta rather than ta ta ta ...... ta ta ta ......
2. Muting G right after a stroke (0:21, 0:28)

But overall I think it is great progress!
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi,Andrei,
Your advice is really helpful.
I understood the concept of 3/4 quarter notes play it continuous with out break.I loose successive movement of i,m,i, if I move my thumb to damp during the movement.I did my best to achieve what you are suggesting, but each time I try,I fail.So, I decided to first damp and than play i,m,i sequence.
It is not what exercise demand but for the time being this is what my ability is.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Zafar, excellent sound quality now and as Andrei says good damping as well. You also have the imimimi alternation which is something I struggle with.

I also struggle with the dampings. Trying to damp with the thumb while keeping the imimi going is kind of like trying to rub your tummy while patting yourself on the head at the same time. However, there will be a speed at which you can keep the imimi alternation going and get the dampings in as well - you may have to play very very slow, but that's OK. Once you have it right you can then start to very gradually speed things up.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing you play again.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Rest Stroke #16" rerecorded video for your viewing.I was advised to try to keep legato, meaning smooth transition between fret to fret without pause. :)

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”