D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 am

You're welcome Maria. I also notcied that in bar 2 of the piece you are sliding your finger up on the 4th string (quite a tricky move). It's always a good thing to try different ways of playing things, but I found that playing it the way it is shown in the score ie playing the E on the 5th string string rather than the 4th is actually much easier.
pos.jpg
I will try to post a video example of how to play this legato with everything slowed right down so you can see exactly what is happening. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am

OK so here is my legato example focusing on the left hand and slowing the piece down. Notice that as I am playing one chord, my fingers are already moving into position for the next chord (where this is possible).

Youtube

Hope this helps.
:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you for the video, Dave. I'll try to work in this direction. As for the fingering, it's my constant headache. My hands are rather small and the variant proposed in bar 2 is just beyond my reach, my fingers just won't stretch that far. At least at the moment, perhaps the situation will improve later on. For the time being I have to sometimes find the fingering more suitable for me. There is no theory behind it, mere necessity.
Incidentally, I wonder, are there just the two of us this year? Any ideas?
Yamaha SLG N100

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:11 pm

No problem Maria,

I think there are at least 3 of us so far as we have Haris as well, but I would guess that as english is not his first language that it takes considerably more effort to read and reply to posts. John Montes, one of the moderaters also says he will post when he has time. Its also not unusual for people to join in later on.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm

I think I am in this class too, I hope to have time to practice these pieces and make a decent recording at the end. I usually do not make pre-recordings, but one final recording.

Maria, you have learnt the piece, now I would suggest to focus on what Dave said (play more legato) and let some chords (eg 2nd 1/4 in 3rd bar or 2nd 1/4 in 13th bar) that last 1/4 sound for 1/4 and not less.
But as I said you have done the difficult work!
Congratulations!

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm
I think I am in this class too, I hope to have time to practice these pieces and make a decent recording at the end. I usually do not make pre-recordings, but one final recording.

Maria, you have learnt the piece, now I would suggest to focus on what Dave said (play more legato) and let some chords (eg 2nd 1/4 in 3rd bar or 2nd 1/4 in 13th bar) that last 1/4 sound for 1/4 and not less.
But as I said you have done the difficult work!
Congratulations!
Haris, you must be a most excellent and confident player to only want to post your pieces once and get it right.

My playing unfortunately is not without faults. Ideally I would like to post after 7 days practicing a piece as suggested by JF. This gives my classmates the chance to offer helpful advice and I can work on any problems I have, then post again, hopefully getting a better recording than I would have done by just leaving it till the end of the month then posting.

I look forward to hearing your most excellent playing. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:53 pm
Haris, you must be a most excellent and confident player to only want to post your pieces once and get it right.
I am certainly not! And my recordings have often mistakes, intepretation mistakes or sheet understanding mistakes.

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Don't, my playing is not so great.

Why do you jump into coclusions? You use words like "most excellent and confident player" and "I look forward to hearing your most excellent playing", these words certainly don't describe my playing or my opinion about my playing... I don't make pre-recordings because I struggle to make a recording at the end of the lesson or at the beginning of the next lesson because lack of time and not because I am the excellent guitar player.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
I am certainly not! And my recordings have often mistakes, intepretation mistakes or sheet understanding mistakes.

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Don't, my playing is not so great.

Why do you jump into coclusions? You use words like "most excellent and confident player" and "I look forward to hearing your most excellent playing", these words certainly don't describe my playing or my opinion about my playing... I don't make pre-recordings because I struggle to make a recording at the end of the lesson or at the beginning of the next lesson because lack of time and not because I am the excellent guitar player.
Haris is being a tad modest. He is a fine player and will be a great colleague and mentor for D05 class this year, as he was for me in D04 and D03, if he can take the time to practice and participate.

Welcome back Haris.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks Rick, I'm sure your right. I heard Haris play last year and it sounded pretty good to me.

Haris, I hope that I caused you no offence and welcome the opportunity to study guitar with you. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Here is my latest effort at the Vaghe. I think I have the end bit a little better now, but it still needs polishing.When I listened back to it, it sounded a bit rushed.

I thank my guitar playing colleagues in advance for their helpful comments which are very much appreciated. :)

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Dave, no problem, I am happy too to study with you, especially after I heard your last recording which is almost perfect! Very fluent, with nice tone!

:bravo:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 am

Very nice, Dave. Two hopefully constructive observations. 1. you could afford to slow it down just a tad. 2.--and I have been criticized myself for this tendency-- you play a lot of your chords arpegiated or broken. Maybe use this a bit less and play more block chords. It's tricky sometimes to get them nice and legato in block form, but that's an important lesson to learn in this piece. I would unknowingly hide my lack of control by arpegiating my chords. Of course by doing 1. (Slowing down) it will help doing 2.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:59 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 am
Very nice, Dave. Two hopefully constructive observations. 1. you could afford to slow it down just a tad. 2.--and I have been criticized myself for this tendency-- you play a lot of your chords arpegiated or broken. Maybe use this a bit less and play more block chords. It's tricky sometimes to get them nice and legato in block form, but that's an important lesson to learn in this piece. I would unknowingly hide my lack of control by arpegiating my chords. Of course by doing 1. (Slowing down) it will help doing 2.
Thank you for your helpful comments Rick, we are few in number this year, so it's really great to get advice from last year's D05 students. I hope you will find the time to continue to look in on us.

I think Maria mentioned something about arpeggiating chords as well. I will try to slow it down and play more block chords as you suggest.

Last year's D05 students set the bar pretty high, so we certainly have something to aim for.

Hope your studying is going well this year Rick - D06 on the spanish forum?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Unfortunately D06 is only in the Spanish forum.. There are many students there, many posts and communication with google is difficult and needs time..

Rick, I want to thank you too for your very useful comments!
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Please delete

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”