D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeffrey Chan
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi David..

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate those very specific things that I can work on.

One of the places that I had fingering trouble is measure 22. Doing the G chord with fingers 2/3/4 is tough. I've seen some people online that have done it with fingers 1/2/3, but then transitioning to the next chord is even more difficult!

Re the video, I need to figure out a good ( and simple way to do ) audio/video. Audio is fairly easy using an Zoom H4n. I'm not entirely pleased with the mic quality, but the H4n is so easy to use, it makes up for it. For video, i have a video recorder ( which is _another_ thing to set up ), so I haven't bothered yet.

Another thing that I wanted to mention about the piece, it sounds very reminiscent other famous drop D tuning (DADGBE) songs, e.g. El Noi de la mare, el testament d'amelia. ( All which are great songs too ! )
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Jeffrey Chan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm
Hi David..

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate those very specific things that I can work on.

One of the places that I had fingering trouble is measure 22. Doing the G chord with fingers 2/3/4 is tough. I've seen some people online that have done it with fingers 1/2/3, but then transitioning to the next chord is even more difficult!

Re the video, I need to figure out a good ( and simple way to do ) audio/video. Audio is fairly easy using an Zoom H4n. I'm not entirely pleased with the mic quality, but the H4n is so easy to use, it makes up for it. For video, i have a video recorder ( which is _another_ thing to set up ), so I haven't bothered yet.

Another thing that I wanted to mention about the piece, it sounds very reminiscent other famous drop D tuning (DADGBE) songs, e.g. El Noi de la mare, el testament d'amelia. ( All which are great songs too ! )
Interesting...

I noticed that there was a bit of a discussion on last year's D05 about measure 22 and using alternative fingering - I decided to stick with the original fingering and had to practice it over and over and still don't have it quite right.

Regarding video, I use a video camera and seperate Zoom h1 recorder. The video recorder is mounted on a simple table top tripod and is set up in seconds. The zoom h1 just rests on the table. The settings on both are usually left unaltered from one recording session to another. At the start of each recording session I count down from 3 and then clap in front of the camera. The clap creates a spike on the audio from both the camera and the zoom h1 - this makes it easy to sync up audio and video in windows movie maker.

Strange that you should mention El Noi de la mer - I've been playing it while I've been in drop D tuning, playing one after the other. Never noticed that the 2 tunes were similar, but now that you mention it......
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Anyone eslse struggling a bit with the exercises? Here are my efforts so far, I was having real problems with the timing on the speed exercises.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

Melodia del Sor

I am afraid I just can't do any better at the moment. Missed notes keep popping up at different spots. When I eliminate the mistake in one place it appears in another.

Youtube

But I think I just discovered the best position for the mike. Which is nice.
Yamaha SLG N100

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi, Dave!

Nice job with the exercises. Leaving out the praise that you, undoubtedly, deserve, here are my two observations.
In speed exercises your left hand little finger tends to stock out a bit, which probably makes the life of your other left hand fingers more difficult.
And secondly in the descending speed exercise you slow down towards the end of the "fast" passages - 6,7,8 notes, though overall you manage to slip the increasing number of notes into the same time slot very nicely.
I don't mean to say that I can do those exercises perfectly. It's always easy to find fault with someone else's performance....
Yamaha SLG N100

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:38 am

Maria Anisimova wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am
Melodia del Sor

I am afraid I just can't do any better at the moment. Missed notes keep popping up at different spots. When I eliminate the mistake in one place it appears in another.

Youtube

But I think I just discovered the best position for the mike. Which is nice.
Lovely playing Maria - The mike position is good and the sound comes across well. The piece flows nicely, you take your time over the position shifts and get them right (As discussed in the I haven't got time thread).

I noticed you are using an alternative fingering in bars 26 and 27 rather than sliding the little finger down from fret 12 - Did you try both ways of playing it, then decide on the alternative fingering because it was easier? Also in bar 5 of the piece - the slide up to the high E, the base note is not supposed to come in till the top of the slide. It's hard to tell, but did you play the base note at the bottom of the slide?

In conclusion, this is quite a challenging piece and you have done very well. The standard is very high here on D05, I can see I will have to work hard to keep up with you. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 am

Maria Anisimova wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm
Hi, Dave!

Nice job with the exercises. Leaving out the praise that you, undoubtedly, deserve, here are my two observations.
In speed exercises your left hand little finger tends to stock out a bit, which probably makes the life of your other left hand fingers more difficult.
And secondly in the descending speed exercise you slow down towards the end of the "fast" passages - 6,7,8 notes, though overall you manage to slip the increasing number of notes into the same time slot very nicely.
I don't mean to say that I can do those exercises perfectly. It's always easy to find fault with someone else's performance....
Thank you for your comments Maria, it really is good to get feedback.

Yes, I am having real problems with the speed exercises and have now resorted to using the metronome. The problem was that I was concentrating too hard on which notes I should be playing and where I was in the exercise to be able to pay enough attention to the timing, so I guess it is a multi-tasking thing. The truth is that I really have not practiced this exercise enough and I'm now working with a metrome to try and get things right, but its an uphill battle!

The problem with excessive finger movement is an ongoing issue for me and something I need to work on. Do you know any exercises that might help?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Here are my latest efforts with the speed exercises. I know I have missed bits out - its that multi tasking thing again. More practice is needed. I notice that there are no exercises in next month's lesson, so I will carry on practicing these and maybe post again in a week or two.

Youtube

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:38 am

I noticed you are using an alternative fingering in bars 26 and 27 rather than sliding the little finger down from fret 12 - Did you try both ways of playing it, then decide on the alternative fingering because it was easier? Also in bar 5 of the piece - the slide up to the high E, the base note is not supposed to come in till the top of the slide. It's hard to tell, but did you play the base note at the bottom of the slide?
Thank you for the comments. I really missed out the trick in bar 5 about playing the base simultaneously with the top of the slide. When I tried to do it the right way it turned out tricky, so I'll have to work at it. As for the fingering, frankly speaking I used to play this piece in a slightly different variety as a "Gomez Romance". So it comes partly from my previous habits. Again no big idea behind the change of fingering.
Yamaha SLG N100

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:08 pm
Here are my latest efforts with the speed exercises. I know I have missed bits out - its that multi tasking thing again. More practice is needed. I notice that there are no exercises in next month's lesson, so I will carry on practicing these and maybe post again in a week or two.
With the metronome it is almost perfect. So calm and precise. And a lovely dog assistant!
Yamaha SLG N100

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi DaveMoutrie..

Could I make a few comments on your hand position that I noticed on your speed exercises ?

On your left hand, I'd suggest putting your thumb lower on the back of the neck - in the middle of the neck - instead above the neck. And it also looks like you can relax your left shoulder, which should drop your elbow closer to your side. This reduces prolonged shoulder strain, I've found.

I used to play acoustic and electric ( both self taught ) and got into the bad habit of gripping the neck and flopping my thumb over the top. In fact, for electric guitar, if you want to play great Jimi Hendrix style chords, you have to use your thumb to grab the bass notes. I've stopped playing electric/acoustic, but I still am unlearning my bad habits ( 20+ years on! )

On the right hand, it looks like your i finger is really stretching to reach the strings. I can't see too clearly from the angle, but maybe add a bit more curvature to your right hand and move your right hand over the strings a touch ?
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Jeffrey Chan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm
Hi DaveMoutrie..

Could I make a few comments on your hand position that I noticed on your speed exercises ?

On your left hand, I'd suggest putting your thumb lower on the back of the neck - in the middle of the neck - instead above the neck. And it also looks like you can relax your left shoulder, which should drop your elbow closer to your side. This reduces prolonged shoulder strain, I've found.

I used to play acoustic and electric ( both self taught ) and got into the bad habit of gripping the neck and flopping my thumb over the top. In fact, for electric guitar, if you want to play great Jimi Hendrix style chords, you have to use your thumb to grab the bass notes. I've stopped playing electric/acoustic, but I still am unlearning my bad habits ( 20+ years on! )

On the right hand, it looks like your i finger is really stretching to reach the strings. I can't see too clearly from the angle, but maybe add a bit more curvature to your right hand and move your right hand over the strings a touch ?
Thank you for your observations Jeffrey.

Wow, there really is quite a bit going on there and it seems I have got in to some bad habits which as you say take some breaking. Never noticed I was tense(left shoulder), but I guess I'm a little nervous in front of the camera. As far as the i finger is concerned, I tend to pull my wrist up a bit and staighten my fingers when playing rest stroke, but move my wrist down and curve my fingers more when playing free stroke, not sure if this is good technique or not.

As far as poking the thumb over the top goes, its just one of those bad habits that I need to work hard to try and break.

Thank you again for taking the trouble to observe my playing and comment. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Maria Anisimova wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:08 pm
With the metronome it is almost perfect. So calm and precise. And a lovely dog assistant!
Thank you for your comments Maria,

My doggie assistant had just come back from walkies, so he was nice and chilled - he's not always that way.

I think I am a very long way from perfect, although my timing is getting a little better, but thanks anyway.
Seems I have some bad habits which I have to break, so quite a lot of work to do in D05. But of course we are all here to improve and its great that I have some hawk eyed fellow guitar players to spot my faults and help me improve ...... thank you hawk eyed fellow guitar players. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Decided to re record this one again taking into account all the helpful advice I have been given:

-Taking time over the position shifts
-sliding down from the 12th fret one fret at a time with the little finger
-Trying to keep my LH thumb from creeping over the top of the neck.

Just didn't seem to be able to get an error free recording though. :(

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Smooth changes Dave. Much better!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”