D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:In measure 24 you can make things easier for yourself if you notice that the 9th position barre actually starts already on the 3rd beat of that measure. That will save you from doing that killer pinky stretch.
Wow, of course. Have you suggested this revision to the score? The Sor Bmin elude was such a good study for finger preparation like this, how soon we forget! :? :merci: for the great catch.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 pm

It looks as though this will be a really active and supportive group this year. I hope I can do it justice. Here are my first recordings. I was only planning to do the two exercises, but I had one attempt at the Anon/Sor and decided to keep it just to highlight the obvious sections (bars 19 and 31 the main culprits) that need a lot more work! Missed the slide the first time round too...

Exercise - page 126 (D04) Delcamp, Jean-François Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar

Youtube

Exercise - page 158 increasing the number of notes played while keeping a constant tempo (n° 105 and 106)

Youtube

Anonyme - Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor

Youtube

:bye:
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Very nice Stewart, save the few video/nerve induced flubs. You have a very nice tone and nice sounding instrument. Is that a Cordoba?
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:02 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Have you suggested this revision to the score?
No as it's already in the score, and I only noticed it the 2nd time studying D05. The barre notation is so close to the bar line, that it's difficult to notice it is actually positioned over the last triplet of m.24. Stewart seemed to miss this as well :)
Stewart Doyle wrote:It looks as though this will be a really active and supportive group this year. I hope I can do it justice. Here are my first recordings. I was only planning to do the two exercises, but I had one attempt at the Anon/Sor and decided to keep it just to highlight the obvious sections (bars 19 and 31 the main culprits) that need a lot more work! Missed the slide the first time round too...
Stewart, I think your nails were a bit rough especially in damping and velocity exercises recordings. It's as if they were catching a bit on the treble strings, but in Melodia de Sor I couldn't hear any problem, possibly because of different wrist angle?

My feelings for the velocity exercise are a bit mixed. While I recognize its value in increasing speed, I think we all struggle a bit with keeping steady tempo and keeping all those exotic quintuplets and septuplets at correct duration. It might be beneficial to repeat each measure to give oneself time to adjust to the changing speed.

Your damping exercise was well done! If you still plan on practicing it, I would suggest to try to minimise the pause between damp and play. In the exercise text it says "[...]you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes)."

I'm not sure how you're practicing Melodia de Sor, but I think you need practice in two separate areas, right hand speed and chord transitions, and it probably would make sense to practice those two aspects independently of each other. The piece really should be performed faster, even if it means that not all the transitions are super smooth. Also, with all the barres, playing the piece slowly can be very straining for the left hand, which means very few repetitions for a practice session. Just concentrate on making those transitions fast and practice paim arpeggio speed on open strings while letting the left hand rest.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Question on Melodia. In the exercises for this lesson, we practiced playing rest strokes with p and a simultaneously. Did anyone use this technique in Melodia de Sor? I practiced it that way a bit but did not concentrate on rest stroke for p in my recording. Just curious whether you think this was intended as application of the exercise.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:Have you suggested this revision to the score?
No as it's already in the score, and I only noticed it the 2nd time studying D05. The barre notation is so close to the bar line, that it's difficult to notice it is actually positioned over the last triplet of m.24. Stewart seemed to miss this as well :)
Actually I would back the bar up even more to the second beat in the measure. Easy jump and makes it all work, and gets me out of that compression quicker, which I seem to be the only one here having difficulty with.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Very nice Stewart, save the few video/nerve induced flubs. You have a very nice tone and nice sounding instrument. Is that a Cordoba?
Hi Rick - you've quickly identified one area I need to work on, namely reducing excessive tension/nerves. Although I spend most of the time being overly self critical, I do think one of my strong points can be tone, though not consistently. I had a really good teacher about 15 years ago who spent a lot of time working on getting a 'fleshy' tone but with volume and some nail of course. It is an Alhambra (I've added my two classical guitars to my signature) I may repeat the Sor melody on my cedar as the action is a bit lower, which makes bar 19 easier. That said, I will keep trying different finger 1 placements to see if I can get the A to sound cleanly. It seems to be the 'pinky' that causes the bar to loosen.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
I certainly did! :) ; the question is, can I unlearn the old way?
As mentioned above, unless I use my other guitar, I'm still struggling to get a clean A in bar 19. I've tried positioning the barre finger at different places on the fret (to avoid a finger joint). I've also tried adding extra pressure just when the A is due to sound, but I know I should be working on less/minimum left hand pressure ideally.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi Marko

:merci: for the excellent notes on my pieces.

On the tone for the exercises, I think I've seen, or rather heard, that effect before. I know I once had a very angled wrist for an exercise. I think you are right in that I'm playing them quite differently to how I would play a piece.

I am going to try to keep the damping exercises in my set of (not as) regular (as they should be) practice routines. As you suggest, I'll work on a smooth transition.

I have worked on some specific transitions in the Sor melody, but you're right that I have to address the speed issue. I don't feel as if I'm playing it that slowly (compared to the Vaghe, where I know full well I am), but I'm always shocked when I see the final time on Youtube.

Best wishes

Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Stewart Doyle wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:Very nice Stewart, save the few video/nerve induced flubs. You have a very nice tone and nice sounding instrument. Is that a Cordoba?
Hi Rick - you've quickly identified one area I need to work on, namely reducing excessive tension/nerves. Although I spend most of the time being overly self critical, I do think one of my strong points can be tone, though not consistently. I had a really good teacher about 15 years ago who spent a lot of time working on getting a 'fleshy' tone but with volume and some nail of course. It is an Alhambra (I've added my two classical guitars to my signature) I may repeat the Sor melody on my cedar as the action is a bit lower, which makes bar 19 easier. That said, I will keep trying different finger 1 placements to see if I can get the A to sound cleanly. It seems to be the 'pinky' that causes the bar to loosen.
I have similar history but more like 35 years ago, with a teacher who studied with Pepe Romero, who is a stickler for tone. I too have difficulty getting to performance level. But boy am I great when no one is listening!! :lol:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Eric de Vries wrote: Very informative on this subject! Please read "When to use an arpeggiated chord": viewtopic.php?t=92754

Eric, thank you very much for your very interesting link. Now I'm practising it playig most accords in blocks, just to make sure I can keep the tempo, though I will try to arpeggiate them a little in the final version.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Here are the rest of the mandatory recordings for this lesson.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

And one extra :wink:

Youtube

Comments and suggestions, as always, are welcome!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Very nice Preludio Marko. My only observation is that, now that you have the dots pretty well down, to take even more license with the interpretation: varying tempo, timbre, and dynamics. This piece seems to beg for this.

I'm working on the Sor exercise as my extra credit recording. A nice little study.

Velocity and damping were very good too. Both these remain in my exercise routine for further improvement over time.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi Marko, I really liked your "Vaghe Bellezze ..." it sounds wonderful. Bravo. Your exercises are also very well performed, and I loved also the preludio.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi Marko

:bravo: Your four songs are playing very good, I can see your efforts in the songs.
All of them are perfect! :bravo:
:D

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”