D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Esteban Crespi
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Esteban Crespi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:33 am

Hello to all, here are the two exercises of this month, clearly they can be improved but I find them very difficult!

Velocity:

Youtube

Dumping:

Youtube

Angela: Bravo for your videos, you play very well. In particular you play so smoothly the melodia of Sor that it seems there are not difficulties at all!. It is a pitty the sound quality, there is a some noise in the backgroud and it would be great if you could reduce it a little.

Stewart Well done, I like the sound you draw from the guitar. In the velocity you should try to make more regular the tempo for example in the tresillo in the second compass it sounds more like 1/8 - 1/8 - 1/4 than 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 it helps a lot to hear it, I wrote it in musescore to help me out, take a look here: https://musescore.com/user/155429/scores/2593811. But even with this I find it very difficult

RickIt is a pleasure to hear your "Vaghe Bellezza ..." it sounds wonderful! The melodía de Sor, needs still a little improvement but you have it very avanced. the professor recommends to use rest stroke for the melody to make it sound a little more over the arpeggios it might be worth a try.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 am

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!
Rick Beauregard wrote:Very nice Preludio Marko. My only observation is that, now that you have the dots pretty well down, to take even more license with the interpretation: varying tempo, timbre, and dynamics. This piece seems to beg for this.
Thanks Rick! I think the difficulty lies in defining some kind of structure for the piece, to end up with an interpretation that "makes sense" somehow. I find it difficult to approach using that point of view. I'll keep playing it, hoping to get more out of it, and perhaps will do another recording before this lesson is over.
Rick Beauregard wrote:I'm working on the Sor exercise as my extra credit recording. A nice little study.
I like it as well, and will possibly record it too.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Your damping exercises are very good Estaban. They are very difficult. You've obviously been working on them. I try to look for ways to combine things that we've learned. Try using the damping exercise in your Velocite scales. That will make your notes nice and clean.
Marko Räsänen wrote:Thanks Rick! I think the difficulty lies in defining some kind of structure for the piece, to end up with an interpretation that "makes sense" somehow. I find it difficult to approach using that point of view. I'll keep playing it, hoping to get more out of it, and perhaps will do another recording before this lesson is over.
I see what you mean, though a prelude is meant to be somewhat improvisational, so there's no really "wrong" way I guess, and it may not come out exactly the same way every time. Have fun with it. :casque:
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi everyone

Finally, my attempt at Vaghe. I've shaved 45 seconds off last year's time but it still comes in at almost 30 seconds longer than Marko's wonderful version above. I think I've made some sections sound rather 'clipped' rather than legato and I think I may also have had the microphone too close to the guitar.

Anon; Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro

Youtube

I've had another go at the Sor melody, just to try to get the tempo up...
Anonyme - Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor - Take 2

Youtube

I enjoyed your prelude too Marko. I really like the piece and recorded a version two years ago. I don't suppose we should use previous recording for any of the mandatory pieces,but I hope it's OK to link to it. It goes a bit wayward at times, I find it difficult to anticipate where some sections are going. Perhaps someone will appreciate a slower version to follow the notes - just don't rely on all the notes being right :oops:

Youtube

Nice exercises Esteban, your damping exercises sounded nice and smooth. Thanks for your comments. I like the technical challenge of the damping but find it hard to get motivated about practicing the 'velocity' exercise.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 am

Here's my extra credit submission for this month, Sor's Exercise Opus 35 No 8. in Emaj. It is still a little rough at correct tempo, with several flubs. I'll keep working on it.

Youtube
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:24 am

Well Done Steward. The Vaghe... is very nice. I agree with the lack of smooth legato in a couple spots. I know this was mentioned before, but you use a lot of arpeggiated chords. I've been critiqued before for using this too much, because I can and I like it, but as a matter of taste I guess there can be too much of a "good "thing in this case. So I've been cutting back, or trying to. The angle doesn't allow seeing your right finger work, but it looks to me like a lot of m finger and less i or a.

Good improvement on the tempo for Melodia. Nice clear melody line.

The Preludio was very nice. Nice, flowing tempo. I haven't learned it yet, almost impossible. But I like sight reading it. Probably won't get it recorded.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Stewart, there's definite improvement in your Melodia de Sor. Transitions are much smoother now. Good job!

The renaissance piece is coming along nicely. More smoothness would be desirable, but I'm sure that's partly the recording nerves. Although ideally the tempo should be a bit livelier, it doesn't sound bad at that speed, and should be perfect for ironing out the difficult parts.

Rick, you're making good progress with the Allegretto. The boxed sections still need work. The pull-off sequence is especially difficult (and doubly so when recording), and I think you muted the open 1st string in several occasions. I often repeat the 3 first bars of the 4th section over and over again, but I suspect that when it's time to record I'll mess up the pull-off's just as well.

A small memorization error: The 2nd full measure of the last section, the 3rd melody note should be 'b', but I think you played it as 'e'.

Finally something in nit-picking category: The study is in the key of E major, not E minor as your youtube video title (and in-video caption) says :)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks for catching the major/minor thing Marko. Not the first time my inattention to detail on titles has manifest. I'll take a look at your other suggestions when I get back to the practice room.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote: A small memorization error: The 2nd full measure of the last section, the 3rd melody note should be 'b', but I think you played it as 'e'.
Aha, that IS what I played, but not so much memorization as a flub, which I repeated twice.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello,
I have uploaded a version of la "Melodía de Sor", a little slow, and it has a strange flaw in the first compass, but I'm happy with it, those jumps and chords in the second part are really though!

Youtube

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Very nice Estaban. It take a lot of difficult work to get those changes down, and it is taxing on the left hand on this piece. I had to limit my practice on this at one point due to hand pain from the difficult barres.

Not to make this even harder, but you have one error in measure 29. The bass note should be B. I think you're playing an open E. That makes this change all the more difficult, but nothing any worse that many others in this piece.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:37 am

Well played, Esteban! :casque:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks Rick and Markp, you are right about the error in measure 29, I played with E open, but I was preparing a 5/6 barre! so it doesn't seem too dificult to correct it.
In the spanish forum they have pointed me that I play the bass before playing the melody, I will try to correct it also.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Angela your submissions are very good! Melodía de Sor is excellent, Vaghe bellezze is very good in some parts it needs small refinement.

Rick Melodía de Sor is very good, very nice and clear melody line!

:bravo:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:05 pm

This is my take on the Sor study (op. 35 no. 8 ).

Youtube

As I suspected before, the pull-offs could have turned out better, but that's the best I managed today without slowing down the tempo. I also didn't vary the tone color as much as when I practice the study camera off.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”