D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Dustin McKinney » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Thomas Drummond wrote:Im having a ridiculously hard time with the exercises in this lesson, the ones for the right hand where
you have to keep fingers on the strings while plucking with the others.
That's pretty hard exercise, and we've all felt at first that it's impossible to do, but the same exercise keeps repeating through the various levels until level D05 at least. You'll get better at it over time.
:bravo: +1
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:05 pm

okie... because as it stands now those two fingers refuse to work alone :D
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:22 am

Still working on the last two for this lesson, but ive completed the 4 submissions.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Please give your feedback. Im going through the content a little fast, but i practice 1 hour a day, every day.
Im trying to catch up with the class, and I dont want to develop bad habits.

Having a real hard time with Tete bizzarde, that thumb 4th to M on 3... Eeeeeek :shock:
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 am

Anyone? :(
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 am

Good job, Thomas. You play very well, good tempo, posture and all notes are right.
One observation though: your right hand ring finger and little finger are tense, thus make them over curl.

Here is your RELAX, normal right hand:
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/RWnRIK

Here is your TENSE right hand:

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/RWnOFN
Your right hand should be relax and imagine you're holding a tennis ball, like in this picture:

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/RWhWCU

Your left pinky is also tense, and far away from the keyboard. The farther the distance your pinky has to move, the slower your speed, you know velocity = s/t .

You have to slow down and watch your pinky when you're playing to remove this habit.

Best regards. You have a perfect rhythm, but many new players in our forum have this problem :) and have to work hard to solve.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Thomas Drummond wrote:Still working on the last two for this lesson, but ive completed the 4 submissions......Please give your feedback. Im going through the content a little fast, but i practice 1 hour a day, every......Having a real hard time with Tete bizzarde, that thumb 4th to M on 3... Eeeeeek :shock:
Hi Thomas, I agree with Binh's feedback. In fact, he gave me the same advice!

I have an observation. Please look at the my feedback on your D01-01 videos. I gave you a link to a youtube video about LH position. It's an excellent video and it has helped me a lot after Binh made me aware of my "arrow pointing" pinky.

Do you want to catch up with the class OR do you want to take a little time to learn the classical guitar techniques? I believe you are playing the piece pretty well..... even with the LH position you are using, BUT I suspect there will be a time when you will realize that your present LH position will no longer serve you for classical music. And it will be awful to correct yourself when that time comes along.

So...... what am I suggesting? Take the time to look at the YouTube video that I referred to you and modify your LH position. You'll be happier in the long run.

Remember the movie, The Fighter, with Mark Wahlberg? Boxers have a saying.... Slow is smooth and Smooth is fast. Don't worry about catching up with the class... Concentrate on improving. Hope this helps. Courage and let's go forth. Best regards, Nelson.

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Thomas Drummond wrote:Still working on the last two for this lesson, but ive completed the 4 submissions......Please give your feedback. Im going through the content a little fast, but i practice 1 hour a day, every......Having a real hard time with Tete bizzarde, that thumb 4th to M on 3... Eeeeeek :shock:
Hi Thomas, I agree with Binh's feedback. In fact, he gave me the same advice!

I have an observation. Please look at the my feedback on your D01-01 videos. I gave you a link to a youtube video about LH position. It's an excellent video and it has helped me a lot after Binh made me aware of my "arrow pointing" pinky.

Do you want to catch up with the class OR do you want to take a little time to learn the classical guitar techniques? I believe you are playing the piece pretty well..... even with the LH position you are using, BUT I suspect there will be a time when you will realize that your present LH position will no longer serve you for classical music. And it will be awful to correct yourself when that time comes along.

So...... what am I suggesting? Take the time to look at the YouTube video that I referred to you and modify your LH position. You'll be happier in the long run.

Remember the movie, The Fighter, with Mark Wahlberg? Boxers have a saying.... Slow is smooth and Smooth is fast. Don't worry about catching up with the class... Concentrate on improving. Hope this helps. Courage and let's go forth. Best regards, Nelson.
I looked at that video, thought I had corrected myself.
Unsure why I get so tense, I catch myself from time to time.
Not sure what else to do as a self teacher.

Ill try my best to keep an eye on it, thank you guys.

Any suggestions to keep it from happening, every 5 minutes or so I correct myself, but it keeps happening.

It already affects my ability to play faster tempo, its got me struggling with Tete Bizarde.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Try to pluck m and a alternatively. Practice what is your weakness.
1. M and A fingers over curl --> play them together like i and m, how about you play the song but with m and a, to make them stronger.
2. Left pinky and ring curl -> practice chromatic scale, any scale, run up and down clearly with tempo and if you find your pinky ache. That's good because it is improving.

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Try to pluck m and a alternatively. Practice what is your weakness.
1. M and A fingers over curl --> play them together like i and m, how about you play the song but with m and a, to make them stronger.
2. Left pinky and ring curl -> practice chromatic scale, any scale, run up and down clearly with tempo and if you find your pinky ache. That's good because it is improving.
sounds good, going to start this as of tomorrow, 5 minutes to each.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:39 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Try to pluck m and a alternatively. Practice what is your weakness.

I want to think you for this!

For 10minutes I worked on this..

for 5minutes i played an old song i had mastered, but using M + A instead, and then
for 5minutes i simply played the bottom 3 strings, fret, 1, 2, 3, 4. to get that pinky going.

then again, tonight did that again before practice.

I not only hit the tempos, i found my pinky knew were to go and my hand was less tense.
My pinky still curled a bit here and there, but all guitarists have that thing they need to work on, and thats mine.

the truth is my pinkies, on both hands have a condition known as Dupuytren contracture
where they curl sideways, and its very uncomfortable. Ill always have to work on this. but with those tips, it got a little easier today, thank you

[it means i not only have to stretch more, but its harder to put that pressure, since its impossible to have a straight pinky]

:merci: :merci: :merci: :merci: :merci: :merci: :merci:
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 am

Glad that I could help. You will be better in no time. I also practice chromatic scale everyday to strengthen my pinky and ring fingers. It gets better everyday :D from my experience.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 am

Good feedback and helping each other out, that's one of the really nice things of the lesson forum.

NIce job Thomas :bravo:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Thomas Drummond

Post by Thomas Drummond » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Glad that I could help. You will be better in no time. I also practice chromatic scale everyday to strengthen my pinky and ring fingers. It gets better everyday :D from my experience.

What do you think of something like this?

string 1 e : E, F, F#, G, G# then reverse
string 2 B : B, C, C#, D, D# then reverse
string 3 D : D, D#, E, F, F# then reverse
Then go the other way, repeating string 3.

alternating M, A @ 60-90 bpm?
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 am

Hi Thomas - one thing I'm trying to help my left hand position is working through exercises like the ones shown in this video from Classical Guitar Corner:

Youtube

Basically, running up and down scales, but leave the existing left hand fingers in place while you add fingers onto higher frets, helping to train your fingers to stay close to the fingerboard. It seems to be helping me.

I still find my pinky finger wants to fly off and sit straight sometimes when I'm not concentrating on my left hand, but it's doing so less often the more I keep working at it.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm

It takes years of practice to be able play like in this videos. It looks easy but it isn't. Countless hours of practice scales pays off someday, so we don't have to think about technique and just focus on musical area. :D

Many years ago when I first saw this video, I thought he's lucky, he was born this way. His fingers are flexible and independent from birth, like a gift. And I couldn't do this because there are some flaws in my bone structure :lol: . Well the truth is: the more you practice the better you get.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”