D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:47 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we'll revise some techanical exercises from volume D02.
- page 73, numbers 6 and 7.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers seem too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by playing these exercises in 3rd or 5th position. Then your fingers won't need to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 2 pieces, pages 10, 16 and 17.
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
A Toye consists of three sections of four bars each, the third section being identical to the first. So this piece has an a-b-a structure, also sometimes called a Lied form (or ternary form).

The first section is in the key of A major, and you can see in it the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The second section is in the key of D major. A major and D major are closely related keys, which means that they have 6 notes in common and just one different note between them. The G is sharp in A major but natural in D major.

Youtube
The Lied (ternary) form is often used by composers, and you will find five other examples in the same volume:
Juan Bobrowitz : Danse polonaise
Joseph Meissonnier : Andante affettuoso
Mauro Giuliani : Écossaise n°10 opus 33
Fernando Sor : Allegretto n°2 opus 44
Felix Horetzky : Amusement opus 18 no.10

- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES
This piece comes from flamenco music, but the rhythm doesn't follow the traditional pattern of accented beats over a 12 beat phrase (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12). The mode used is the Andalusian mode: E F G# A B C D E. The repeats are necessary, in order to preserve the structure based on groups of four bars.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

A TOYE
SOLEARES

Binh NguyenKhac
A TOYE
SOLEARES

David Florea
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Jonathan Lamb
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Salvatore Lovinello
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Tom Hayes
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Dustin McKinney
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Rajesh Dhungel
A TOYE
SOLEARES
:( + ♫ = :)

Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:04 pm

These songs are challenges for me and I've tried my best. I've learned a lot from last year students, watching videos in our forum archive. They give me new ideas and moves.

Youtube

I'm practicing Soleares. The progress is slow, 2 measures a day but the same time I feel glad that I'm improving and really enjoy the song I've never thought I could play. I feel like playing puzzle, one piece at a time :casque:

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:51 pm

sounds good to me.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:27 pm

My submission of "A Toye"

Youtube

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:04 am

David - a brave attempt and all is not lost... for one thing you're still with us! Well done and long live, sir!
About your piece, A TOYE, here are my comments: (1) I don not think that you have properly understood the way to make the repeats, as such your rendition fails to flow properly, even taking into account that sense of playing 'catch up'. (2) I can see you are trying to do the damping, but struggling enormously, join the club! (3) I thoroughly admire and respect your decision to place high importance on posture, and feel sure that this will pay a dividend in the long run. You remind me of that Japanese virtuoso, Ichida (if my memory serves me correctly).

If you want technical instruction with the repeats, here is my reading:
Measures 1,2,3,4; followed by measures 1,2,3,5; 6,7,8,9 followed by measures 6,7,8,10; 11,12,13,14, followed by measures 11,12,13,15.
One further technical matter worth mentioning is this: in measures 4, 8, 10, 14 and 15 the Bass note is tied and should be sustained for the count of "one-two-three-four-five" beats; what you are tending to play is "one-two-three" ,(new note) "four-five" (n.n. "six"). We see it is tied, by the elongated 'eyebrow' joining the notes together under the stave in the bars concerned.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 am

Ok,Jonathan. I will take your advise.Thanks

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:16 am

Oh yes! I see the repeats now! Thanks. Also, I suspected that I should not play the tied notes as they are sustained rather than plucked. Notation has been one of my pitfalls as I've never had any formal training. I'm trying to relax enjoy the process.Although I struggle with technique I still have faith that I will prevail.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:51 pm

My Soleares submission, I appreciate your feedback.

Youtube

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Binh,
Thank you for posting your work. I quite enjoyed listening to your Soleares, and I think you are getting some things absolutely right, but getting something very important to be corrected in your technique, it is this: So far in your submissions I cannot detect that you are practising the DAMPING as marked in the music by the 'eight-pointed snowflakes'.
For example, at the beginning of Falseta 6, the very first note could be like this: .... BAM! You play 'LA' whilst simultaneously stopping the bottom string with your thumb, and the also stopping the top strings with a flattened middle finger over the fingerboard. The sound of the previous measure ceases, at exactly the same moment as the next note 'LA', sings out.
Incidentally, these DAMPING techniques I am personally finding - as an adult learner and returner-to-the-guitar - both difficult and yet extremely rewarding. I do hope you will take the time to correct yourself on this point at this stage.

That said, your music flows nicely, and you quite correctly do not let your wrong notes get the better of you! Good luck and keep keeping it up!

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Dear classmates,
My submissions herewith for our Lesson 3. Please tell me anything!
A_TOYE_4.mp3
Soleares_3.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am

Thank you Jonathan, for your kind, spot on and constructive criticism. Damping is indeed a new technique for me and my weakness. But I wonder, does damping really make the difference? especially on classical guitar, with my untrained ear, I can't separate damping from without damping. The difference is minor. Is this worth to practice ? I mean we have many things to care: note, rhythm, two hands, play on time with emotion, etc. The damping part is really a added confusion. This afternoon I reviewed my video and followed your tips, still feel awkward though.

About your submission, I don't feel the "soul" in it. I don't feel your anger or power. For me Spanish music is strong, power, heroic and let the demon in you out of its cage. I often hum unintentionally to the music when I have the groove. Guess it messed up my music. I think I have to put something in my mouth :) . I wished I could see you play in a video so I could give more specific feedback. And to improve your flow, you can hum or sing with emotion and try to play what you sing.

I'm glad that I have you in this course, feel a bit lonely over here. We have like 3 students. Let help each other improving, deal? classmate :)

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:06 pm

D02-L03 Soleares

Youtube

Atoye resubmission

Youtube
Last edited by David Florea on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:........ I wonder, does damping really make the difference? especially on classical guitar, with my untrained ear, I can't separate damping from without damping. The difference is minor. Is this worth to practice ?
As you play more you will develop the ear and will begin to hear both the dissonance and the muddyness caused by undamped notes.
In some pieces at this level it is less noticable because many notes decay before they cause a problem, but in more complex and faster pieces you will notice.
I know this technique is hard bcause I felt it slowed me down at first and it does require rethinking some fingerings, but I do think it is worth persevering at this stage rather than have to relearn later.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 pm

:D

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 pm

something happened to my video. ill resubmit it tomorro. sorry

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”