D05 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 03

Postby Angela Zhao » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 am

Thank you Esteban,Jesus and Stewart.
I'm really appreciate your advices and comments, it's very useful and helpful.
Thank your kindly advices. I check rhythm of Wacha Mesa, and follow the video Stewart uploaded, the main problem is "the sixteeneh" I played it too long, I must shorten it and extend the duration for the dotted eighth.
I recorde it again, The first one is the whole song,but in the fornt of the second part, there are still some mistakes, as go to work time is coming, I just recorded the second part again, hope this time will be better.
Thank your very much. and the Stewart's video is really helpful. :merci:
Wascha mesa

Youtube

The second part of Wascha mesa

Youtube

Jesús Morote

Postby Jesús Morote » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:09 am

Very well, Angela. The tempo is now right.
D04 Student (spanish and italian Forums)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Rick
Thank your comments!
Yes, the rhythm is a big problem for me.
As for me to learn guitar, I totally learn by myself, no teacher teach me. If I have problem, I try to look up in internet, so I haven't the basis of formal training from beginning, I haven't attached great importance to the rhythm of problem.
And thanks Delcamp give us this good paltform, let me know my problem. Thank you give me lots of advices. :merci:

Your progress is remarkable given your lack of a teacher. My guess is that most of us, including me, have had the benefit of a teacher for at least some time. In my case I studied for two years with an excellent teacher 35 years ago, plus had six years of piano as a child. I wonder how many members of this forum have made it all the way to D05 with only Delcamp lessons and no teacher! This is indeed a great forum!

With my teacher I did a lot of counting out load and clapping rhythms to get it right. He was also very strict about getting the right tone and varying dynamics. Getting the pitches right was less a focus than these things, I guess it was just assumed. At this level these things become increasingly a challenge!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

These are definitely NOT finished, but I thought I would post for comments/suggestions. I still have a lot of work to do. On Wascha Mesa, I need to work on tempo and accuracy at tempo. I can play it pretty well slowly. El Post just needs to be firmly in my fingers, which it is not yet.

Thanks for listening! It won't be easy. :casque:

Wascha Mesa practice.mp3

El Postillon Practice.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 am

Hi Rick
Though not finished,I thought you have good tempo, your rhythm is better than me.
With more practice, you can play it better, there are some difficults in the two songs, you can just play them more,
for me, I also need more practice on the difficults, and sometimes I almost want quit, but as Delcamp said you just play it another three times it will be better. :D

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 am

I remember these two pieces (Wascha Mesa & El Postillion) very well, its been awhile since I played them, I just might give them a go this weekend :-)

There were some parts where I had to force myself to stay at a very slow tempo and fight the urge to speed up tempo prematurely before getting things right with each repetition.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Angela and John. El Postillon has been a challenge for me. I've been doing a lot of metronome work by sections. I will improve one day then I go backwards the next. Sort of one step forward two steps back. But it is getting better. I've worked out most of the technical issues and have now memorized the notes. Once that happens it is just a matter of time. There is still more this month time so I'll work on it more this week.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:46 am

Here is my exercise.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:53 am

Wascha Mesa

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Good job with Wascha Mesa, Rick!

You played C natural instead of B natural at the end of measure 19, but you probably noticed it yourself, as you got it right in measure 3, which is exactly the same. You should concentrate on damping the open bass strings especially at the 2nd part. Especially leaving the 5th string ringing when the bass moves back to D makes the harmony somewhat "muddy".
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks Marko. As always, damping is my nemesis. Something I didn't used to pay much attention to. The attention to it in these lessons has really improved my playing overall. It is something I tend to focus more on at the end, once the piece is firmly in my fingers, though I am thinking about strategies from the beginning as I work out fingerings. Being a less sloppy, more precise player is one of my goals, along with getting pieces to a more performance level. Most of the pieces we learn in a month are not going to get there, unless I keep them in my rep and continue to improve on them.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Regarding El Postillon de la Rioja, I've always struggled with 16th-16th-8th combination in the first measure and later. I've used the fingering indicated in the score (ima-m-pim). But I've just watched Prof. Delcamp' s video at half speed setting in YT, and noticed he uses for that pattern pim-a-pim. My initial thought was that the latter fingering must be easier, and I naturally tried it, but it didn't feel any easier.

I guess it's partly because I've done way more practice using the fingering marked in the score. For example, with the latter fingering moving 'p' from 5th to 3rd string meant that the volume of the note easily became too loud, as the thumb had to jump over the 4th string to play the 3rd in one 8th note duration, so there's very little preparation time for the stroke, making the stroke less accurate than having the 'i' finger on the string well prepared, and I guess that's something that is quite easily corrected with practice.

But it's also because 1st string on the 8th note starting the 2nd beat at the 1st measure must be played with 'm' finger just 1/16 note duration after having been played with 'a' finger, so there's a fast m-a-m alternation, which I think would be easier if the last 'm' wasn't coupled with simultaneous 'p' and 'i'.

Still, I think I'll change to the latter fingering, just to see if it will cause less tension into the right hand than the fingering used before, once I get more practice with it.

Has anyone else tried pim-a-pim fingering?
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi Marko
I didn't notice the fingering indicated in the score (ima-m-pim), without your mention, I almost missed it. you are so carefully. :bravo:
I wonder why use this fingering. maybe let the volume of B louder.
I try the ima-m-pim and pim-a-pim. I feel the two fingering almost same. They all stress the 8th, as for the 16th-6th, I think one can use his more easily fingering, such as pim-m-pim, for me,the two fingering are all ok, just let a,m alternate. I think Delcamp use the tremolo fingering, actually alternate finger can stroke faster than use the same finger.
It's just my thought,maybe not right. :merci:

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 pm

I tried it your way Marko: mip a mip. But I can't get the same feel speed and sound on the a as I can using m. Same goes for measure 3, which I play mip m mip.

My troubles are getting the bridge clean, measures 6-8. Getting my left hand twisted around far enough to the right to get the pinky to play B cleanly. Also having difficulty playing cleanly measure 28-29 especially the last beat in m28. These are my challenges with this piece. I don't think I'll ever reach allegro. I'm hovering around 65 or 70 right now.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:34 am

I personally think using m-m-m will limit the speed much more than m-a-m. Afterall, alternation is usually better than no alternation. Having done some more practice with pim-a-pim I now do find it the superior fingering over ima-m-pim, and will be using it from now on. The only downside for it (aside from slightly different tone) is that when used at the ending of the piece (measures 53&54), the bass E string cannot be muted.

I've struggled with measures 6-8 as well, but the "pinky muting the 2nd string" problem seems to have gotten better with repeating those measures in isolation. But I still find the last two beats of measures 7&9 difficult for the right hand, having to do that im-im-i 16th notes apart. The last 'i' tends to get delayed, and/or sound odd/plonky. I've tried im-pi-p there, but although avoiding having to play same finger 3 times in quick succession, it feels unnatural.

The ending of measure 28 is a strange one. It shouldn't be very difficult, but for some reason I also have problems getting it clean. I think I need to analyze it a bit more to find out what's going on with it.

Allegro is beyond my reach as well. 100bpm could be doable, but probably not for a recording in the scope of this lesson. Who knows if I end up doing D05 for the 4th time! :shock: :lol:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”