D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 113, numbers 14, 15, 16 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 14, 15, 16 on page 113. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 26, 62, 63, 76, 77 et 98.

- page 26 Anonyme Scarborough Fair
The phrase structure is of 4 bars. (Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.) Here we have an English tune dating from the end of the Middle Ages. The accompaniment in eighth notes (quavers) gives a fluidity to the whole. It's enough to accentuate the notes of the melody slightly for "Scarborough Fair" to evoke a feeling of space and peace. I think this piece has strong therapeutic powers both for us playing it and for those listening.

Youtube

- page 62, 63 Giuliani, Mauro Etude opus 51 n°12
In this arpeggio study, the melody is in the bass. The index and middle finger play the accompaniment on strings 1 and 2, while the thumb plays the melody on strings 3, 4, 5 and 6.
The point of this study is to seek to keep the index and middle finger strokes of equal strength throughout, whether the distance between them and the thumb is small (when the thumb is playing string 3) or large (when the thumb is playing string 6).
From bar 20 onwards, the instruction sf (sforzando, sforzato, sf, sfz ) means that you should give a sudden, strong emphasis to the note immediately above the instruction.
In bar 22, I use a hinged barré (indicated by a dotted line instead of a solid line) to play the D and A on the open strings, and I don't apply the full barré until the third beat of the bar, to play the bass Bb.
Mauro Giuliani is the first teacher to have published a systematic study of arpeggios ( http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... liani.html : Opus. 1 - Studio per la chitarra, Prima parte : 120 arpeggi). I recommend that you practise a few arpeggios each day and change them regularly with the aim of studying all of them in two years. You can listen to the mp3s of the 120 arpeggios recorded by Marco Cairone here: http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/ ... 32&t=25253 .

Youtube

- page 76, 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°24
Ghiribizzo n°24 is in two sections, each of 20 bars. It has a phrase structure of 4 bars. In the second section, Paganini repeats the melody of the first section an octave higher. The piece is in the key of A, and this key allows the optimal use of the 3 bass strings of the guitar: E (dominant), A (tonic), D (subdominant). Observe the exact duration of the bass notes, and damp them by placing your thumb on the string as and where indicated by the damping symbols and finger indications on the first line.

Youtube

- page 98 Delcamp, Jean-François Novelette n°3, à Alexandra
This piece is divided into two sections, like Paganini's Ghiribizzo n°24. In the first section, the melody in the bass is played by the thumb. In bars 10 and 12, to conclude the first section, I use the whole tone scale (F G A B C# D# F). In bar 16, the melody passes to the treble notes, while the thumb repeats the tonic (E) until the end. The harmonics in bar 23 are played by very lightly touching strings 1 and 3 exactly over fret XII.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 113 number 14, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS
- page 26 Anonyme Scarborough Fair
- page 76, 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°24
- page 98 Delcamp, Jean-François Novelette n°3, à Alexandra

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS
Scarborough Fair
Ghiribizzo n°24
Novelette n°3, à Alexandra

Angela Zhao
Scarborough Fair
Ghiribizzo n°24

Dennis Stewart
Scarborough Fair
Ghiribizzo n°24
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi classmate
This is my assignments,please give me any commments,thank you very much!

Youtube

Scarborough Fair

Youtube

Ghiribizzo n°24

Youtube

Youtube

:merci:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 am

Hello Angela.
My comments on your recordings. It is a good performance. Bravo. :bravo:
But there are some mistake.
In minor Scales, ascending, the 6th and 7th degrees are to be raised one semitone. But when you are descending, they are natural. You have here viewtopic.php?t=71515 a discussion on this topic. Descending in the A minor Scale you have played F in 1st string on 2nd fret, and it is a natural F on 1st fret. You have played also F in 4th string on 4th fret, and it is a natural F on 3rd fret.
In Novelette, you don't respect the duration of notes. In general you play the quarters in second and third parts of measures as quavers. Especially in measures 18 to 22; it sounds as 2/4, not a 3/4 (the correct time).
You play the ending harmonics with your left index finger. But so you damp the third string, B. You must do the harmonics with 3 and 4 fingers of your left hand; then the B string sounds until the end.
Regards.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:35 am

Hi Jesus
Thank you give me your comments,it's very valuable for me, thank you watch my videoes so carefully.
I will correct these mistake, the rhythm is my weakness, without your mention, I can't find it easily.
Thanks again. :merci:

Best regards

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi Angela.

If you have problems following the rhythm and tempos, I think that the best exercise is to play duets or ensemble music.

In this website are a lot of scores for duets, by Carulli, Giuliani, etc. for students from level D02 to D05 and more advanced.

I play virtuals duets with spanish Students, and I have a little protocol for recording and playing in distance. If you want try, send me a Private Message.

Of course everybody is also invited.

Here my last recording of a duet; I have played both guitars: http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/ ... 75#p366575

Jesús.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
This is my assignments,please give me any commments,thank you very much!

:merci:
Hi Angela. Sorry for the late reply again, i was very busy lately and unfortunately didnt get the guitar time i want.

Now for your submissions i cant really give you more advice than Jesus has already done. There is some very good and valuable points he has listed. I get the impression that you rushed a bit through the D04 in order to participate in D05 in time. When looking at your videos from D05 its clear that youre playing has already imporved a lot! A big thumbs up for this.

The only advice i could give which Jesus hasent mention already, is as with all the Paganini pieces we have learned so far, is to concentrate on the dampening of the bass strings. Also prior to learning a new song, keep on listening to Mr. Delcamps performances so its fresh in your memory when you learn.

Keep up the good work!

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Here are my videos for this lesson. This month there was a lot to learn, 3 full pieces.

The Paganini gave me lots of headache, as always. I found it very challenging to play.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:20 am

Hi Dennis
Thank you give me your comments, it's very useful.
Yes, I'm rush a bit through D04, as I recorded it on summer, for I need to learn new class of D05, actually it's not easy to do it good, but I'll try to redo the D04 class with your comments.
I totally agree with your thought,the dampening bass string is very important, and I'm still practice the D04 lessons now, it also appear on D05,thank you very much.

I saw you video also,very good! :bravo:
scale is perfect,I havn't find any mistake.

scarborough fair,measure13 the last A,I feel the duration is a little short,you play it slide to G too quickly.maybe I'm not correct. :)

Novelette M1 the A to B is slur, I saw you play it all by thumb.
Yes, sometime the slur can be play all, but I saw Delcamp play it slur, I think the slur be better.

Ghiribizzo n°24 the damp is very important in this song, you play it well,but the rhythm need to polish, When I learn this song, I'm not play it well especially the damp,it's very difficult.so I still play it now. :D

That's just my thought maybe not correct, :)

Regards

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:
I saw you video also,very good! :bravo:
scale is perfect,I havn't find any mistake.

scarborough fair,measure13 the last A,I feel the duration is a little short,you play it slide to G too quickly.maybe I'm not correct. :)

Novelette M1 the A to B is slur, I saw you play it all by thumb.
Yes, sometime the slur can be play all, but I saw Delcamp play it slur, I think the slur be better.

Ghiribizzo n°24 the damp is very important in this song, you play it well,but the rhythm need to polish, When I learn this song, I'm not play it well especially the damp,it's very difficult.so I still play it now. :D

That's just my thought maybe not correct, :)

Regards
Hi Angela, thank you for your comments. Your are right with your observatios on all three pieces. The A on Scarborough fair is too short, also i do play the first measure in Novelette all with my thumb instead of a hammer on. Well spotted.

I messed up the rhythm in Ghiribizzo due to i wasent comfortable playing it. There are lots of different sections and the fingering is challenging.

Thanks for the advice

Dennis

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”