D05 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Esteban Crespi
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Esteban Crespi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 pm

The exercises from this lesson, they need still a lot of work but I didn't expect the next lesson to arrive so soon!

Rick, I heard your exercises, I prefer the first version of the Sons of Carrillões, might be because I'm grown accustomed to it, but you play both versions quite nicely. The allegro needs a little more work, if you can spare some time on it, with the new lesson it will be difficult (at least for me).

Sons de Carrillhões: It definitely needs a re-recording! I have forgotten at least the end chord in the first part and the last repetition of the first part at the end. I'll try to rerecord it this weekend.

Youtube

Allegro de la Partita VII:

Youtube

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:19 am

Very well done Esteban. These were hard to master. Thank you for your comments on my recordings.

Just a few picky things on your performance. I think that at this level these are valid nitpicking. First, watch your tuning. That E string tends to creep up after tuning it down to D as the string tries to shrink back to its previous position. I find myself out of tune all the time and have to adjust often. It helps to stretch after tuning down to get the process going. The opposite when you tune it back up to E.

I detected just two issues on Sons Carillhoes that I think we're not related to recording jitters. In measure 6 you break rhythm. I think you're giving the first beat only one eighth beat and it should be a quarter. ( Sorry I can't tell my quavers from my semi breves). In M14 you play the accidental not as a 2-4-2 triplet but as 4-2. At least that's what it sounded like both times through. Also, you didn't play part A again, missing the "D.C. al Fine". Maybe that was just to keep the recording shorter. Lastly, I think you also could get better tone from your guitar. It sounds a little thin to me, though that may just be your recording method. Still I figure it's never a bad thing to remind ourselves to strive for the perfect tone.

The Allegro was very good as well. Good tempo and rhythm. Work on your damping. I spent the bulk of my time this month on Sons de Carillhoes. I found the Allegro not difficult to learn but hard to play cleanly and correctly at tempo. I too had to leave it to move on to lesson 5. Those harmonics will be tough to master!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:03 am

Hello Rick, thank you very much for your comments, of course you are right, I had not read properly measure 6, now I'm grown accustomed to the error and it will be hard to change it, but I'll try to work on it this weekend. About the triplet I suppose I dropped it unconsciously some moment in last few weeks...

Thanks also for the advice on the tuning of the E string, it will be very useful.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Happy New Year to all, and keep up the nice work
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:42 pm

A belated Happy New Year to you all and an equally belated contribution for this lesson. As I'm sure you're all busy with lesson 5 (with 6 just around the corner) there's no need for comments. I'll have to find a way to catch up!

João Guimarães (pernambuco) (1883-1947) Sons de carillhões

Youtube

Guiseppe Antonio Brescianello (1690-1757) Allegro ( :oops: !) de la Partita VII

Youtube
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 am

Hi Stewart, I meant to post these pieces a while ago, but I haven't had much opportunity for recording especially since the birth of my 3rd son in the beginning of this month. Actually I haven't done much practice either. I really should take a grip of myself :oops:

Your both recordings sound very nice, if a tad slow :bravo:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Wow, congratulations Marko! I hope you can find the time to keep playing. I took a break after my son was born (also stopped running) and eventually The break lasted 30 years. Somehow priorities shift and it is hard to find the quiet time.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 am

:bravo: Well done Stewart. I can say that the work needed to make Sons Carillhoes part of your repertoire will be worth the effort. I am still struggling with it but trying to keep playing it regularly.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 am

Congrats Marko with the new member in the household :okok:

A cigar for you :fume:

Nice job Stewart, the Sons de carillhões is coming along pretty good in part A, the transition into part B and some sections in there just need some additional fine tuning with practice sessions.

There's some well executed passages in the Allegro and others that can get better with slow but determined repetitions in practice sessions.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you all for comments and congratulations to Marko and family. At least you have an excuse, in fact the very best excuse, to be neglecting the guitar. I'm hoping to record the lesson 5 pieces this weekend and get back in step and more involved.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am

Angela Zhao wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:48 am
João Guimarães (pernambuco) (1883-1947) Sons de carillhões
Hi Angela, your video is not available on the Spanish site for the exam, you should review your post! :!:
D05 - French Forum

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun May 21, 2017 4:28 am

Hi Vincent
Thank you remind me,
I have check it and correct it now. thanks again!
I also watch your exam video, it's very good with rhythm and tone. :bravo:
Thank you give us your brilliant display.
:merci:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”