D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 76 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS numbers 12, 13, 14.
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 12, 13 and 14 on page 76. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Next we'll work on three pieces :
- page 11 Juan BOBROWITZ (1785-1845) DANSE POLONAISE
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44 :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=670

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 76 number 13 Scale of C major with crescendo and decrescendo
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

David Florea
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Dustin McKinney
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Binh NguyenKhac
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Salvatore Lovinello
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Jenni Gribble
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Jonathan Lamb
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44
:( + ♫ = :)

David Florea
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Postby David Florea » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Here are my submissions of: Scale of C Major, Andante Affettuoso, and ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44. I realize that they are not perfect. I'm attempting to quickly show these to get instructive feedback early in the month so I can practice and improve. I've found this to be the best way to get ahead of the curve.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Postby Colin Bullock » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 pm

David Florea wrote: I'm attempting to quickly show these to get instructive feedback early in the month so I can practice and improve.

I'm not sure you really need much feedback.
All the notes are there, just need the timing to be even. As you practice you will find you need to look at the fingerboard much less, it's making gaps in your playing. Try to force yourself not to look, but to develop the feel of where the fingers are.
Tone is firm and even so once timing is smoother it should sound really good.

Salvatore Lovinello

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm

David,

I would like to relate what has helped me the most. Scales! Scales! Scales! I start out every playing session with scales. First five minutes as per a timer or less if you feel pain. I eventually worked that up to a half hour. Start with a G scale pattern up and down the fretboard. Start slowly. Strive for perfection in both accuracy and tone with or without a metronome. Release tension often by quickly shaking your fretting hand away from the guitar as if you're trying shake a bug off of your hand. Build speed once your accuracy at slow tempos is good. You'll be surprised how quickly your speed and accuracy will improve with diligent scales work.

Sal

David Florea

Postby David Florea » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Ok thanks

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 am

My Submissions!

C Major Scale

Youtube

Allegretto

Youtube

Andante Affettuoso

Youtube
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Nice work, Dustin, all songs are well played :bravo: . Your posture, camera are good.
One more thing though, try to play with emotion, experiment with loud and soft, with fast and slow, with sound and silence, and use different tones. Fast isn't number one priority, you can play slow but if the audience can feel you, you're a good player.

I think music is a way to express ourselves. Our sorrow, joy, happiness, anger and despair can be shown though our songs. We can create a new mood, different from composer's original idea.

Of course, we are students, and still learning, try our best to finish our submission. But you're the best student in our class this year. You can play all notes right and with fast tempo, almost flawless. So I think, it's time to play to the next level.

Here's are some videos from last year students and from youtube that I really like:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Just listen from these great players, I've learned a lot from them. They play the same song as us but sounds very interesting.
Frankly, you play very mono, Dustin, notes after notes. You don't express, strengthen the melody line.
Best regards.

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Nice work, Dustin, all songs are well played :bravo: . Your posture, camera are good.
One more thing though, try to play with emotion, experiment with loud and soft, with fast and slow, with sound and silence, and use different tones. Fast isn't number one priority, you can play slow but if the audience can feel you, you're a good player.

I think music is a way to express ourselves. Our sorrow, joy, happiness, anger and despair can be shown though our songs. We can create a new mood, different from composer's original idea.

Of course, we are students, and still learning, try our best to finish our submission. But you're the best student in our class this year. You can play all notes right and with fast tempo, almost flawless. So I think, it's time to play to the next level.

Here's are some videos from last year students and from youtube that I really like:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Just listen from these great players, I've learned a lot from them. They play the same song as us but sounds very interesting.
Frankly, you play very mono, Dustin, notes after notes. You don't express, strengthen the melody line.
Best regards.

Binh,

Thank you for the kind words and criticisms. I'm merely trying to play at the suggested tempos, that's the only intent of my speed. As proficient as I may seem, I am so focused on some technical short coming that I possess, that I've not thought too much about musicality. My right hand thumb often plucks instead of strikes, causing it to get in the way of "i" and "m," my left hand turns away from the finger board when "1" plays, so shifting up to the fifth position "e" was a challenge. I feel that my rest stroke is inadequate, and this keeps me from moving my hand closer to fingerboard or bridge for tonal adjustments. I'll keep working, maybe next lesson I can incorporate some more musicality!

Other thoughts, don't short change yourself. You mention me being "the best," but I'm trying to keep up with you!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Colin Bullock

Postby Colin Bullock » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:20 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:My right hand thumb often plucks instead of strikes, causing it to get in the way of "i" and "m,"

Dustin
Not sure what you mean by plucks instead of strikes, as I would probably describe myself doing both at different times.
Looking back at some of your videos I notice that your thumb is quite far back (towards the bridge) almost under the hand from the video angle. If you look at the video of Andrei you will notice that his thumb is well forward of the other fingers. Might be worth trying.

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:My right hand thumb often plucks instead of strikes, causing it to get in the way of "i" and "m,"

Dustin
Not sure what you mean by plucks instead of strikes, as I would probably describe myself doing both at different times.
Looking back at some of your videos I notice that your thumb is quite far back (towards the bridge) almost under the hand from the video angle. If you look at the video of Andrei you will notice that his thumb is well forward of the other fingers. Might be worth trying.

Yes! I'm trying to keep the thumb perpendicular with the strings. I keep bending it at the joint, causing it to fall behind. My biggest issue is that if I focus on anything else (notes/rhythms) I revert to bad habit. I think I need to just spend more time on it!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:08 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:Yes! I'm trying to keep the thumb perpendicular with the strings. I keep bending it at the joint, causing it to fall behind. My biggest issue is that if I focus on anything else (notes/rhythms) I revert to bad habit. I think I need to just spend more time on it!

Dustin, try to practice right thumb only, play open strings. Piano players often practice each hand separately.

And if we want to play loud, the force comes from these joints ( in red color)
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/Ru4kJK

If I want to play fast thumb, like in ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO , I use green joint, but the main force still come from red joint. It's hard to play fast bass notes if I only use red joint.

Here are my submissions:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks.

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:Yes! I'm trying to keep the thumb perpendicular with the strings. I keep bending it at the joint, causing it to fall behind. My biggest issue is that if I focus on anything else (notes/rhythms) I revert to bad habit. I think I need to just spend more time on it!

Dustin, try to practice right thumb only, play open strings. Piano players often practice each hand separately.

And if we want to play loud, the force comes from these joints ( in red color)
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/Ru4kJK

If I want to play fast thumb, like in ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO , I use blue joint, but the main force still come from red joint. It's hard to play fast bass notes if I only use red joint.

This is good stuff! I've also found some great thumb development exercises to add to my practice routine. Thanks for the graphic!!!!

As for your submission... :bravo:

They're great! You play with good dynamics, tempo, and tonal variation. My only critique, ask yourself why you are making the tonal shift. At times in the Allegretto it feels like you made a tonal shift just for tonal shift's sake. Maybe it's the abruptness of it. Try to let the tonal shift occur gradually while your playing. It will create a fading into/out of effect and appear less precipitous.
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Dustin McKinney wrote:
This is good stuff! I've also found some great thumb development exercises to add to my practice routine. Thanks for the graphic!!!!

They're great! You play with good dynamics, tempo, and tonal variation. My only critique, ask yourself why you are making the tonal shift. At times in the Allegretto it feels like you made a tonal shift just for tonal shift's sake. Maybe it's the abruptness of it. Try to let the tonal shift occur gradually while your playing. It will create a fading into/out of effect and appear less precipitous.

Yeah, you're right about the shift. It's kind of forced shift. I like to experiment though, we have tools and ideas, just to find the right spot. About fading into/out, I don't quite understand. Do you have youtube videos that demonstrate that technique, kind of new to me. :merci:

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:

Yeah, you're right about the shift. It's kind of forced shift. I like to experiment though, we have tools and ideas, just to find the right spot. About fading into/out, I don't quite understand. Do you have youtube videos that demonstrate that technique, kind of new to me. :merci:

I will try to take your interpretations and make one. I'll post it here when I'm done.
Kremona Fiesta FC

Dustin McKinney

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:

Here it is! Excuse the mistakes in playing, the focus was on the example. I hope it makes sense!

Youtube
Kremona Fiesta FC

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”