D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Bert Stendahl
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

Is the goal to have a flat thumbnail tip? My thumbnail hooks down on both sides and I think that is a problem sometimes?
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:When you say hooked nails, around which axis is the hook?

Andrei Puhach wrote: P.S. In case anyone has hooked nails which make playing so much harder and produce bad tone here is a perfect solution which worked great for me: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=69527 This problem bothered me for a couple years, finally it is fixed, my 'i' finger is as good as others now :)
It is the axis entering and exiting the sides of a finger. If you look at a finger horizontally the nail would look down like this:

--------\-, <===== nail looks down
_________/
Never Mind the Bollocks

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks Andrei & Chu for very useful comments
Andrei Puhach wrote: Hi Colin, these 2 assignments are quite solid and consistent.
Prelude comments: probably a wrong chord at 0:59.
Didn't bother to read it properly :oops:
Andrei Puhach wrote:Also, I noticed an interesting thing that before starting each measure you land all fingers on strings, so as soon as a bass note starts ringing the trebles from the previous measure are muted. Is it done on purpose or it makes playing easier for you? Sounds like a combination of 114 and 114a :)
It was done on purpose to damp the trebles, but looking at the Prof's video he seems to let them ring. I'll try it that way.
Andrei Puhach wrote:Also, the guitar is a bit out of tune.
Yes, I'm checking intonation on the higher notes. They seem more sensitive to position relative to fret and pressure. It's only a ply guitar so perhaps the time has come for a project?
Andrei Puhach wrote:As of hesitations I noticed it is getting much worse towards the end, especially when pieces are long (like >2 minutes). I think the best way to deal with that is to learn last measures pretty well and even start learning pieces from the end :) Actually, even David Russell does that! Check out his interview on Youtube: "David Russell: Guitar Talks with Benjamin Verder"
Good idea.
I often have problems with repeats, maybe concentration lapse as noticing the end is nigh.
Chu Bun wrote: Colin,
for some reasons, The A bass note were OK, but the E an D bass notes were barely audible.
I use headphone for the posting and it sounds ok, but listening on laptop speakers I can hear what you mean. Maybe need to empasise a bit because on short duration of notes.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Is the goal to have a flat thumbnail tip? My thumbnail hooks down on both sides and I think that is a problem sometimes?
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:When you say hooked nails, around which axis is the hook?

It is the axis entering and exiting the sides of a finger. If you look at a finger horizontally the nail would look down like this:

_________/
Ok, I found some images here: aaronshearerfoundation[dot]org/site/online-supplement/tone-quality-and-your-nails/

My case is called "curved lengthwise contour" (for the index finger only, the thumb is fine):

Your case is probably "curved sideways contour".

Now, it looks like the spoon should help in both cases. It is not really flat. The nail should look natural and visually appealing, not completely flat.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Good picture. Yes, curved sideways contour, correct.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:Is the goal to have a flat thumbnail tip? My thumbnail hooks down on both sides and I think that is a problem sometimes?
Andrei Puhach wrote:

_________/
Ok, I found some images here: aaronshearerfoundation[dot]org/site/online-supplement/tone-quality-and-your-nails/

My case is called "curved lengthwise contour" (for the index finger only, the thumb is fine):

Your case is probably "curved sideways contour".

Now, it looks like the spoon should help in both cases. It is not really flat. The nail should look natural and visually appealing, not completely flat.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Lesson 5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello everyone, :bye:
here is our task for this month.
See you all next month
Teodora.

Youtube

Youtube

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:42 am

Hi there... my submission for this lesson.... :chaud: ... a bit late....some rough hand position changes (never played that many notes in those frets by the sound hole before) ....and uneven tempo in the Ghiribizzo ... but I like it anyway ;)

Youtube

Youtube
Edna Lopez

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi all, here is my submission of prelude no 4. All comments welcome.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi all, here is my attempt at the Pagannini - don't seem to be able to record it without any errors.

Also I notice from the video that I am lifting my fingers too far away from the frets - so needs more work, but of course I am playing catch up.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Jose Ramon Martinez

Post by Jose Ramon Martinez » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 am

Hello everyone:
My submissions for lesson 05 shown below.

Thanks.

Youtube

Youtube

Warley Lima

Post by Warley Lima » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:44 am

Hello everyone my submissions for lesson 05 :chaud: :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Warley Lima

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”