D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 160 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) Exercices sur les harmoniques à l'octave (Exercises for octave harmonics):

exercise 110, play natural octave harmonics using both hands.
exercise 111, natural octave harmonics using one hand.
exercise 112, artificial octave harmonics: F and G on the first string.
exercise 113, natural and artificial octave harmonics: scale of E minor.
exercise 114, natural and artificial octave harmonics: arpeggio of E minor.
exercise 115, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the thumb.
exercise 116, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the index finger.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Today we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 27 Anonyme Saltarello
I offer a fingering which makes it easier to control how long the basses ring on. You are free to use it or, along with the majority of guitarists, to opt for a fingering with all open strings in the bass.
Each phrase is repeated a second time with small embellishments. Thus bars 9 to 16 repeat bars 1 to 8, and bars 25 to 32 repeat bars 17 to 24.
The harmonics of the last few bars are natural harmonics produced by lightly touching the harmonic node of the string with a left-hand finger. In the final 3 bars, make a barré with the left-hand finger, just barely touching the strings.

Youtube

- page 53 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°38
This is a lively piece. In my view, it should be played staccato to reveal its resolute, masterful side. A rare alliance of conviction and conciseness, it is a little masterpiece.

Youtube

- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
In this arpeggio study the three voices are each expressed in their turn. Mostly the bass appears on beats 1 and 4, the melody on beats 2 and 3, and the middle voice in between beats. Use rest stroke on the first string with the ring finger in order to bring out the melody.

Youtube

- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita
One of the charms of this very poetical piece is the melody in artificial harmonics. To produce these harmonics on the bass strings, I use my thumb to touch the harmonic node of the string at the indicated fret. Doing it this way allows me to stay close to the normal position.

Youtube

Youtube

- page 128 Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Lecciones III n°11
This is a lesson where the melody is played in artificial octave harmonics. To produce an artificial octave harmonic, the guitarist lightly touches the string with the index finger at a dividing point (a harmonic node) situated half way along the vibrating length of the string, while at the same time plucking the string with the ring finger as near as possible to the bridge. One of the difficulties is to play the melody in harmonics mezzo forte and the accompaniment piano. Either the ring finger or the little finger can be used for playing harmonics. The ring finger seems to me to be easier to use. The little finger is an interesting option because it can pluck the string further away from the point where it is being touched by the index finger. The further away from this point you can pluck the string, the louder and clearer is the sound obtained. To increase volume and clarity, stretch the plucking finger as far as possible from the finger touching the harmonic node.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions: :
Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Esteban Crespi

Angela Zhao

Rick Beauregard

Stewart Doyle
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Postby Angela Zhao » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 am

Hi classmate
on page 27 Anonyme Saltarello, how the Delcamp control the bass string? how to damp the 6 string, from his video,I can't watch it,who can teach me? Thank you very much! :merci:

Jesús Morote

Postby Jesús Morote » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:38 am

Hello Angela,
the standard way to damp a free bass string is with the thumb. When you have to damp a string at the same time you are sounding another bass string, if this is "upper" (you have to damp 6th when you play 5th, or to damp 5th when you play 4th), you must damp with the side of the thumb (not with the tip), making a lateral movement with the thumb.

So do it M. Delcamp.

Regards.
D04 Student (spanish and italian Forums)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 am

Thank Jesus
During the previous lessons, Delcamp teach us use thumb to damp the 6th string,when pluck the 5th string,use the inside of thumb to damp the 6th string,but in Delcamp's video, I didn't see the action,I guess he use the outside of thumb to damp the 6th string.I wonder how he do it, I feel use outside of thumb to damp may let the nail touch the string,that will make noise,how to do it without noise? Thanks! :merci:

Jesús Morote

Postby Jesús Morote » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Angela. I've studied in the "Conservatorio de Madrid", when I was teenager (my teacher being José Luis Rodrigo). Damping with the thumb I was learned to do not with the outside part of the thumb, but with the part between inside and outside of the finger. In this zone is not nail.

If the nail disturbs you, you can also incline the thumb, placing it oblique to the strings, not so perpendicular. So, the height between the beginning and the end of the nail is narrower than the distance between the two strings. You can see that M. Delcamp place the right thumb in this "Saltarello" more oblique than usually he does.

Regards.

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 am

Hi Jesus

Thank you give me direction,I'll try to do it.
Cause I usally use the inside of thumb to damp, it's not easy for me to learn,but it must be learned.
:merci:

Esteban Crespi

Postby Esteban Crespi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi, I'm very lucky with this lesson as I studied the Etude of Carcassi i a seminar in the Spanish Forum a couple of years ago, and I have kept playing it (I wouldn't forget it! it was terribly difficult for me in those days!).

I have recorded it to get your impression, and to be sure I haven't mangled some part in these years.

Youtube

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Very expressively played Esteban. Bravo.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 pm

I dug out an old score of Salterello from 1981 that I had learned. I wrote in right hand fingerings from my teacher that might help you too to learn this delightful piece. To correspond with each base note, play a specific finger in the right hand. So on the bass D play the melody with a, on the A play m, and the high D play i. Once you get the hang of this repeating pattern it helps to play the piece fluently. One note though, I play all the base notes on open strings to let them ring. I'm not sure if this would work with JFD's version playing the third beat on the 5th string, but it should.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Esteban
You play it very fluent! it can show you put lots of efforts in it! Congratulate to you! :bravo:

Rick
Before I use the fingers of Delcamp, I also want to play all the base notes on open strings to let them ring, but when play the high D,you have to damp A then damp D,play as Delacmp, you can decrease the damp times. though it has some difficult to play high D on 5th string. :merci:

Jesús Morote

Postby Jesús Morote » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:I dug out an old score of Salterello from 1981 that I had learned. I wrote in right hand fingerings from my teacher that might help you too to learn this delightful piece. To correspond with each base note, play a specific finger in the right hand. So on the bass D play the melody with a, on the A play m, and the high D play i. Once you get the hang of this repeating pattern it helps to play the piece fluently. One note though, I play all the base notes on open strings to let them ring. I'm not sure if this would work with JFD's version playing the third beat on the 5th string, but it should.

Hi Rick
I have also an old score of this Saltarello, from '70s. My teacher José Luis Rodrigo used to play in his public recitals a collection of "Six Renaissance Luth Pieces", in transcription by Oscar Chilesotti, wher it is this Saltqarello. It is a photocopy of a manuscript, not a printed score, that Rodrigo handed out to his pupils. The fingering has any differences with the Delcamp score. The piece is attributed to Vincenzo Galilei (the father of Galileo Galilei, the famous scientist).
The bass D-A-D is played with open strings. If you damp the D on 4th or 5th string, when you play the D on 6th string the 4th string sounds again by sympathy. So, you don't win much damping it. The damp of bass can have a educational goal, but it has not an aesthetical importance, I think.

Angela:
If you click in the Youtube link under the picture, you can link to the video of M. Delcamp in Youtube, and see it in full screeen, and, with the Tool icon (down right), you can set the slowest speed, and watch the technical details of M. Delcamp performance.

:bye:

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 am

Hi classmate
This is my assignments. I'm sorry for some mistakes, and for Anonyme Saltarello, I try to play it,though not practised, I wonder how to play damp, I also watch the Delcamp's video with slow speed, but I can't understand clearly. If you have any good ideas to play damp,please teach me!
Thank you for your comments! :merci:

Youtube

Youtube

Anonyme Saltarello

Youtube

Jesús Morote

Postby Jesús Morote » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Angela, I see you have hardly worked and the results are here. A great :bravo:

You have only problems with the Saltarello. In the book "The Renaissance Guitar" of the Guitar Antology by Frederick Noad, there is a "Tanz" (page 23) from Georg Fuhrman, wich has exactly the same bass as this Saltarello: D (6th) - A (5th) - D (4th), with open strings.

Noad says: As the bass pattern is the same throughout, it may be practiced by itself before adding the melody. All three bass notes should be played with the thumb, the melody with alternating free strokes.

You can follow this advice of Noad, and practice only the bass pattern. In the Saltarello score by Delcamp, you can play: D(6th/0) - A(5th/0) - D(5th/alternating fingers 4 and 1, as in the first two mesures of the score) until you get a full control of the movement.

NB: I see you are now in the correct position in the picture (not in mirror image). Well done.

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Outstanding Angela, and so quickly mastered! The Carcassi was pretty much perfect. Just a couple small rhythm issues in El Sueno and Salterello but otherwise perfect. You really mastered the harmonics! I might just suggest varying your tone a bit on Salterello as an interpretive improvement.
:bravo:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 am

Very nice, Esteban! :bravo:

Just a couple of comments: I think your 6th string was a little flat, perhaps from changing between the standard and the dropped D tuning?
Did you play the melody notes with rest stroke? I would prefer them to stand out a bit more from the harmony.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”