D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Sorry if this is off subject but <<Third-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May>> Does anyone know what this means .... are these the dates when the exams start, or the submissions have to be in? Any ideas please? thank you.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:Hi all, here are my submissions for this month. Not quite as polished as I would like, but then time marches on and its time to start on lesson 8. I would need to change my name to Norman to get it any better.
I like your improvisation!
Ghiribizzo sounds great as well, but I noticed that you don't alternate RH fingers on the E string (measures 8-11).
Thank you for your comments Andrei. You are quite right of course - no excuse really, but I was concentrating so hard on playing the right notes that I didn't think too much about what my right hand was doing.

As we move on to more difficult and faster pieces, getting the correct right hand fingering correct becomes more and more important in order to keep the music fluid, so you raise a very valid point.
Indeed, it is extremely difficult to think about both hands at the same time. That's why most guitar methods focus on the right hand first so that it goes to the subconscious as soon as possible. I also noticed that it might be extremely difficult to break bad RH fingering after learning some piece. Even after tons of repetitions the right way at slow tempo I still tend to play it wrong way learned before.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:page 57 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°23
Very nicely played Andrei. Nice even tempo throughout, note perfect and good alternating fingers in the right hand. I also noticed excellent economy of movement in both the right and left hand.

In bar 30 the slide from E to D, I notice that you only pluck the string once and then slide down. Initially I played it the same way, then had a look at what Jean Francois was doing and saw that he was plucking at both the beginning and the end of the slide. Perhaps this is one of those situations where there is no right or wrong answer.

Once again very well done - I hope to be able to learn something from your playing. :)
Thank you for your kind comments! Technically, I played the bar 30 wrong. That connecting line must be indicating the pinky shift only, not glissando. Glissando notation is different.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei - beautifully played. I watched it a second time with my eyes closed and just enjoyed the music. The next couple of time I focused on each of your hands. Your hand positions/movements are my long term goal.

Ed Butler
Thank you, Ed, for your comment!
By the way, I recently discovered the greatest (to my liking) right hand technique on Youtube. Search "Dmitri Nilov Tirando". I like how efficient and relaxed his right hand is.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Andrei - thanks for the advice. I will look at it now. Quick question on your left arm/elbow do you keep it straight down or do you let it drift outwards?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei - thanks for the advice. I will look at it now. Quick question on your left arm/elbow do you keep it straight down or do you let it drift outwards?
Well, I don't know, never thought about it :) I guess it is impossible to keep it straight down, and no need to, it all depends on what fingers do.
Please watch "Play Clean Guitar: Reverse Engineer the Tricky Spots" on Youtube at 2:50. The guy explains how to play some difficult spots by rotating the elbow.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Excellent - thanks. Also watched "Dmitri Nilov Tirando" - I will include that in my practice routine.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:21 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:Sorry if this is off subject but <<Third-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May>> Does anyone know what this means .... are these the dates when the exams start, or the submissions have to be in? Any ideas please? thank you.
The exam piece video needs to be posted on one of those 3 days. Usually the piece is announced about 1 month before.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:Sorry if this is off subject but <<Third-year final exam 28, 29, 30 May>> Does anyone know what this means .... are these the dates when the exams start, or the submissions have to be in? Any ideas please? thank you.
The exam piece video needs to be posted on one of those 3 days. Usually the piece is announced about 1 month before.
Thanks Colin, just taken the first step and signed up for the Spanish forum.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 am

Sorry for a late submission and poor video quality, here is my improvisation (not totally improvisation, it is a semi-composition):

improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias"

Youtube

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:Sorry for a late submission and poor video quality, here is my improvisation (not totally improvisation, it is a semi-composition):

improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias"

Youtube
Interesting arrangement Andrei, I like the way you add extra notes and weave them around the melody.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello everyone, :bye:
here are my submissions for this month.

Youtube

Youtube

See you all next month
Teodora.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 am

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic wrote:Hello everyone, :bye:
here are my submissions for this month.

See you all next month
Teodora.
Thank you for posting Teodora.

I like what you have done with the Folias, but you seem to repeat the same arpeggio pattern throughout - does this make it composition rather than improvisation? It might be an idea to change the pattern a little bit as you play it.

Ghiribrizzo is Italian for joke. You may notice in the Jean Francois version that the staccato effect used throughout sounds almost like a laugh and I think this was the effect Pagannini was aiming for.

If you listen to Jean-Francois' version of Ghiribrizzo and then yours immediately after, you will notice they sound totally different - because you leave out the string dampings. The string damping are a major part of this piece, so you may decide you want to re-record.

Good luck, and keep practicing. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:03 am

Hello Dave,
thanks for commenting my work. I have problem with improvisation. I realy did not know what I should do.
As for Paganini piece I also did not know what is the meaning of the title and its character. It means a lot to me that you clear all those things.
So thanks again
Teodora.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Congratulations
Andrei
Bert
Chu
Dave
Ed
Teodora
You are all qualified for the exam, Andrei and Teodora should update on the list in the next few days.

Make sure you are registered as described in John's post viewtopic.php?f=41&t=111792#p1189452
Been a hectic few days, lots of people catching up.

Exam piece should be out end April and John, Marko & I will try to alert everyone if we see it 1st.

Best of luck and good playing :D

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”