D04 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D04.
- page 118 Delcamp, Jean-François Scale n°26

Youtube

- page 130, 132 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation work - D04
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.

16/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Españoleta.

Youtube

17/ Improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of Españoleta.

Youtube

18/ Improvise in chords upon the harmonic sequence of Españoleta.

Youtube

19/ play and ornament in the style of the period: Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz, page 16 (D03).

Youtube

20/ make up and play your own divisions on: Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz, page 16 (D03).

Examples of divisions in my PDFs:
D02 pages 40, 41, 42: Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) - VALSE VARIEE Opus 241
The variations are divisions on the valse.

D02 pages 52 and 53: Fernando SOR (1778-1839) - LEÇON VIII & IX opus 60
Leçon IX is a division on leçon VIII.

D03 page 6: Adrian LE ROY (ca. 1520-1598) - PREMIER BRANSLE DE POICTOU
Bars 26 to 48 are a division on bars 1 to 24.

D03 page 9: Guillaume MORLAYE (1510?-1558?) - GAILLARDE
Bars 9 to 16 are a division on bars 1 to 8.

D03 page 14: Francis CUTTING (ca. 1600) - PACKINGTON'S POUND
Bars 9 to 16 are a division on bars 1 to 8. Bars 25 to 32 are a division on bars 17 to 24. Bars 41 to 48 are a division on bars 33 to 40.

D03 page 17: Gaspar SANZ (ca. 1640-1710) - GALLARDA
The second section is a division on the first section.

D04 page 14: Guillaume MORLAYE (1510?-1558?) - GAILLARDE - de "Le second livre de chansons" Paris 1553
Bars 9 to 16 are a division on bars 1 to 8.

D04 page 20: Adrian LE ROY (ca. 1520-1598) - ALMANDE "la mon amy la"
Bars 5 to 8 are a division on bars 1 to 4. Bars 13 to 16 are a division on bars 9 to 12.

D04 page 24: ANONYME (1600) - THE SICK TUNE
Bars 5 to 8 are a division on bars 1 to 4. Bars 13 to 16 are a division on bars 9 to 12.

D05 page 30: Robert JOHNSON (1542-1603) - ALMAN VII
Bars 9 to 16 are a division on bars 1 to 8. Bars 25 to 32 are a division on bars 17 to 24.

D06 page 18: Adrian LE ROY (1520-1598) - PASSEMEZE
Bars 19 to 34 are a division on bars 3 to 18.

D06 page 66: Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) - SONATINE opus 71 N°1 - Maestoso
Bars 17 to 32 are a division on bars 1 to 16. Bars 33 to 48 are a division on bars 1 to 16. Bars 49 to 64 are a division on bars 1 to 16.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces.
- pages 36, 37 Bach, Johann Sebastian Menuets BWV 1008
This pair of minuets was composed for the cello. At this period musicians would add ornaments to the music when playing the repeats.

Youtube

- page 44, 45 Carulli, Ferdinando Rondo opus 41 n°3
This rondo is based on contrasts:
forte - piano,
question - response
parallel movement (the different voices rise or fall together) - contrary movement (one voice rises while the other falls)
ascending melody - descending melody,
tension (dominant) - release (tonic)
long values (dotted quarter notes/crotchets) - short values (quarter notes/crotchets)
main key (C major, the tonic) – relative key (G major, the dominant)

Youtube

- page 72, 73 Carcassi, Matteo Valse opus 23 n°9
this Valse is based on contrasts:
forte - piano,
question - response
parallel movement (the different voices rise or fall together) - contrary movement (one voice rises while the other falls)
ascending melody - descending melody,
tension (dominant) - release (tonic)
long motifs (several bars) - short motifs (one bar)
minor – major

Youtube

- page 94, 95 Sagreras, Julio Salvador Maria Luisa, Mazurka opus 19
Here we have an accompanied melody. Bring out the melody from the accompaniment. Play the melody with a legato style. Play the accompaniment unobtrusively with a "non legato" or slightly staccato style.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
19/ play and ornament in the style of the period: Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz, page 16 (D03).
- page 72, 73 Carcassi, Matteo Valse opus 23 n°9
- page 94, 95 Sagreras, Julio Salvador Maria Luisa, Mazurka opus 19

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ornament in the style of the period: Españoleta
Valse opus 23 n°9
Mazurka opus 19

Angela Zhao
Valse opus 23 n°9
Mazurka opus 19

Dennis Stewart
Valse opus 23 n°9
Mazurka opus 19
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:15 am

Hi classmate
This is my assignments,please give any comments,thanks.

Youtube

Valse opus 23 n°9

Youtube

Mazurka opus 19

Youtube

:merci:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Angela,

Very well, as ever. :bravo:

You can improve the Valse, I think:
1- M8 (and M24): The C is not sharp. You do an A Major accord when it is an A minor accord.
2- You continue with problems with the slurs. Especially in M10, 12 and 14, you make acciaccature and not regular semiquavers series.
3- I think you make the last B in M27 and M43 sharp, as the B of the next measure. But the first one is not sharp.
4- M6, M22 and M40, you should damp the bass strings (or 6th at least) with the thumb, because they resound and the delicacy of the melody is lost.

María Luisa:
You should prove to alternate the right hand fingers. For instance, in M1 and M5. It is technically better to get used to that, for future challenges of speed, when you will need to use all the fingers in the effectiviest way

:bye:
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:14 am

Hi Jesus
Thank your comments.
The damp and slur still need more practice, and the C sharp and B sharp, I need to check it later.
And to alternate the fingers is very important,but as I study it totally by myself from begining, so there are some problems for me to correct.
Whatever thank you watch my videos and give these guides. :merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 am

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
This is my assignments,please give any comments,thanks.
Hi Angela, very good recordings as always. Now Jesus has already pointed out the two main issues, which is the dampening and the slurs.

In the Valse i like how you change the volume (ff to mf) in the first section. This adds a lot of musicality to it. Also in the final section of the song the staccato you play is very vell done. I think its the longest song we learned so far and needs a lot of conzentration to get through it without mistakes. You have done a good job there.

:bravo:
Last edited by Dennis Stewart on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 am

Here is my first recording, the Mazurka opus 19. I am falling behind more and more on the lessons. The Valse is still in a very early stage and i still need a lot of practice before i record it.

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 am

Hi Dennis
:bravo: you play it very well, with good musicality and rhythm, it's show how hard you working,
Don't worry about be late for lesson, we have time.

On D04 this year seem only two of us on the lesson, so let's work together and pass through the exam.

Thank you give me comments.
good luck to you!

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 am

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Dennis
:bravo: you play it very well, with good musicality and rhythm, it's show how hard you working,
Don't worry about be late for lesson, we have time.

On D04 this year seem only two of us on the lesson, so let's work together and pass through the exam.

Thank you give me comments.
good luck to you!
Thanks Angela. After this month lesson i will take it a bit easier as i will have the required 7 completed needed for participating in the final exam. Maybe i will only learn on piece per month. I find it hard to keep up with the pace.

Its been very quiet this year with just the two of us participating in the lessons. I would like to say a big thank you to Jesus, who has given us some very good advice from time to time...

Are you participating in the exam for both the D04 and D05?

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks Dennis.

You are only two students here, but very good both!

You can also take part in another languages forums. Almost everyone understand English there. I think we are about twenty students in D04 Level in all the Delcamp Forums, and it is very formative every comment.

Here my Waltz by Carcassi (still under construction):

Youtube

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Angela and Dennis, if you don't mind, I'll go with you until the end of this year. So you won't feel so alone...

This is my Españoleta (Little spanish dance) of Sanz, with ornaments in my own way.

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 am

Its been very quiet this year with just the two of us participating in the lessons. I would like to say a big thank you to Jesus, who has given us some very good advice from time to time...

Are you participating in the exam for both the D04 and D05?
Hi Dennis
With Jesus here, we are not alone,
Hope you can finish the D04-07 lesson, take part in the exam. I think you can get very good result.
Yes, I will participate the D04 and D05 exam.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 am

Angela and Dennis, if you don't mind, I'll go with you until the end of this year. So you won't feel so alone...

This is my Españoleta (Little spanish dance) of Sanz, with ornaments in my own way.
Hi Jesus

Welcome to here, we're very happy you can join us and give us so many useful comments. :merci:

Your two songs are so good,
In Waltz, you have good musicality and rhythm,in Españoleta , your own ornaments are really have taste, it show some spanish style.
From the video, I saw your right hand is a little perpendicular to strings, then your wrist is angulation, I think the right hand doesn't need have angle, it's just my idea,maybe not right.

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am

Jesús Morote wrote:Thanks Dennis.

You are only two students here, but very good both!

You can also take part in another languages forums. Almost everyone understand English there. I think we are about twenty students in D04 Level in all the Delcamp Forums, and it is very formative every comment.

Here my Waltz by Carcassi (still under construction):

Hi Jesus. I was thinking of posting on the italian and spanish forum as well. I see there are a lot of sudents and the forums are very active.

Your Valse is shaping up very vell, allready on a very high standard. I am looking forward to hear your final version. :bravo:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 am

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Jesus

Welcome to here, we're very happy you can join us and give us so many useful comments. :merci:

Your two songs are so good,
In Waltz, you have good musicality and rhythm,in Españoleta , your own ornaments are really have taste, it show some spanish style.
From the video, I saw your right hand is a little perpendicular to strings, then your wrist is angulation, I think the right hand doesn't need have angle, it's just my idea,maybe not right.

You are right about my right hand position with my wrist a little bended. We have argued a lot about that in the Spanish Forum.

This is the typical position of the right hand in the so named "Tarrega School".

Emilio Pujol, who was a pupil of Tárrega, in his work "Escuela razonada de la guitarra" (Guitar School giving reasons) recommends this position and says: "If you rest your forearm (on the body of the guitar), and you give the hand up, because his own weight, the wrist bends".

When I was young, I was learned to play in this position. It was the usual position in the 1970's years, and after.
Andrés Segovia:
Julian Bream:
John Williams:

It is accepted that the most adequate is the position in which every guitarist feels more comfortable. I am used to this position. I think it is more natural than to have the wrist right doing a straight line between forearm and hand. You must go against the Gravity Law and do an additional work, wich you must'nt do if you let your hand to fall naturally. Also, in my position you can play the strings as well with the fingers in perpendicular as in obtuse angle, and you have more sound possibilities.

I know that is not fashion nowadays between the guitarists. But I don't lke to follow fashion only because it is fashion.

:discussion:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Jesús Morote wrote:Angela and Dennis, if you don't mind, I'll go with you until the end of this year. So you won't feel so alone
Jesús, I've added you to this student group so you can officially post videos here.
Don't expect you to take the exam though :D

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”