D01 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 57 - Jean-François Delcamp : ARPEGGIOS

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at five tunes, pages 39 to 43.
Page 39 - Anonyme : Menuet en ré majeur

Youtube

Page 40 - Anonyme : Danse anglaise

Youtube

Page 41 - Jean-François Delcamp : Accompagnement de blues

Youtube

Page 42 - Anonyme : Fais dodo, Colas mon p'tit frère

Youtube

Page 43 - Joseph Küffner : Duo opus 168 N°15

Youtube

Youtube

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and" in English)
Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.
When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

You can memorize different tempi (tempos) by mentally associating each one with a tune you have learnt by heart. Learn a suitable tune for each tempo. Begin with Good-morning to all (the same tune as Happy Birthday) for the tempo of 120 (beats per minute).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Page 57, number 12 - Jean-François Delcamp : ARPEGGIOS
Page 39 - Anonyme : Menuet en ré majeur
Page 42 - Anonyme : Fais dodo, Colas mon p'tit frère

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ARPEGGIOS
Menuet en ré majeur
Fais dodo, Colas mon p'tit frère
:( + ♫ = :)

Andreas Hanuschek
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Andreas Hanuschek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am

This time I will start

Youtube

And very slowly

Youtube
Andreas (Bremerhaven/Germany)

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Well done Andreas,
:bravo:

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:52 am

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-07 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Increase tempo only if rhythm and the beat are together.
3. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

Arpeggios Page 57-12

Youtube

Minuet Page 39

Youtube

Fails Dodo, Colas Mon P'tit Frere Page 42

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have include two pieces from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.

A La Claire Fontaine Page 8

Youtube

Old Mac Donald Page 9

Youtube

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Very well done Nelson! And nicely done the new versions of the old ones!
:bravo:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”