D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:43 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:Chu, Andrie - thank you for your advice on the valse guys. I have now slowed it down quite a lot, althought maybe not quite enough.

I think the tone is a little better now, but not sure if the rest strokes stand out quite enough. Practicing rest stroke with other pieces as well now.

Youtube
That's beautiful, nothing to comment. The tempo is just right (to my taste).
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 am

Chu Bun wrote: ...
Another piece that this technique can be applied is Tarrega's Lagrima (search for "Lagrima Explained - Part 1" on Youtube. There are quite a few good tips in that video clip).
That's a great advice! I never played it this way (it was free stroke throughout). Now I tried the new technique and it sounds so much better! Thanks!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 am

Your comments are much appreciated Chu.

I thought the video was interesting as well - subtle use of the rest stroke, I liked the idea of concentrating on the follow on to the next string and its amazing what can be done with a bendy tip. Part 2 was interesting as well - talks about the left hand, anticipating what is coming up in order to move the fingers into position in advance. Also, using open strings as a chance to change LH position. Think I did some of this in the valse, but still more work to be done.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Hi David - I remember the night shift very well. Never get used to it. My first 10 minutes of practice is with Giuliani studies and the I do 5 minute warm-up from the pumping nylon book.

Ed
Sorry Ed, somehow missed your reply. I also use some of the pumping nylon exercises, but some of them are way too hard. Also practice arpeggios as part of my warm up. I just bought a copy of Kitharlogus, but not really sure where to start with it.

Just feel as I am getting older I should be doing more to warm up before playing - in order to avoid injury and be a able manage the stretches.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 pm

David - when you start a new piece - how do you attack it. Look at patterns? look at fingerings?

Ed

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:55 am

Ed Butler wrote:David - when you start a new piece - how do you attack it. Look at patterns? look at fingerings?

Ed
The first thing I do is to watch Jean-Francois play it several times - in order to get a feel for how the piece is supposed to sound. At this stage I have an idea if there are any repeated patterns, also watching JF's fingers and trying to think about dynamics a bit as well. The theory here is of course that if I make any glaring errors when I come to practice the piece, I will immediately spot them because I know in my head how the piece is supposed to sound.

Then I play the whole thing all the way through, without worrying too much about fingerings, this gives me an idea of where the difficult bits are and where I need to sort out the fingerings.

Having identified the difficult bits I might go back and have a closer look at how JF plays them, play it through and experiment with different options and sort out my own fingerings for the hard bits.

Once I have the difficult bits sorted it is time to go back to the beginning and play it all the way through, thinking about dynamics and how I think it should sound. At this stage I might play the video of JF on my laptop and play along with him. Also a good idea to record yourself at this stage and once again play the recording of JF in order to compare the differences.

I'm sure that if you ask 10 people this question you will get 10 different answers. I guess you just have to try different things and see what works for you.

Hope this helps Ed. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Dave - thank you. This is great advice and gives me a plan for the rest of this course.

Ed

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:40 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote: I'm sure that if you ask 10 people this question you will get 10 different answers. I guess you just have to try different things and see what works for you.
I actually follow a very similar procedure. It is important to listen to the sample clip many times to familiarize yourself with the piece. First to avoid "glaring errors" as Dave said (Obviously, I didn't do this in my first Valse video). Also knowing how the piece goes helps to memorizing or sight reading, and playing the piece, since your mind can anticipate where the notes, your left and right hand should be and prepare for the next moves.
Since I do sight reading, I also write down everything on the sheet, fingering for very notes, dynamic marks, made-up marks to show position of plucking hand, ... However, I'm not sure if this helps or hurts, because the sheet will look pretty busy and confusing.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Chu - I like your idea of writing everything down. I am working on memorizing but that comes very slowly to me.

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:12 pm

My submission of Valse
Thanks everyone for this month's discussion which has been very useful
This my first memorised submission, not read from music!

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Colin - well done. I am impressed. Was there a method you used for memorization of the piece? I am finding it very difficult. I blame it on my age.

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm
Colin - well done. I am impressed. Was there a method you used for memorization of the piece? I am finding it very difficult. I blame it on my age.

Ed
Can't help you if you blame it on age :D

I played through a few times then I broke it into sections and practiced playing each without looking. I also tried to remember the pattern of repeats in each section.
The advice Andrew and Dave gave was very useful.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Colin,

Nice performance. Some of the base notes, esp. the open E, were a little too soft, but other than that, very well done.
It seems we should try to play from memory more often.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm
Some of the base notes, esp. the open E, were a little too soft,
Thanks Chu. I will watch that in future.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm

A bit off topic, but I just found a list of very good and interesting points about practicing from some guitar teacher:
erichendersonguitar.com/2014/01/31/how-to-practice-guitar/
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”