D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

I Have just been rifling about in the cutlery draw looking for a very large pie slice. - Seems I need to cut myself off a very large slice of humble pie.

It appears you were right Chu - this month's pieces to seem to be somewhat on the hard side. But I can't say I haven't enjoyed the challenge so far. Like Ed, I still have a few/many errors but thought I'd put my Samba Lilly up to demonstate the economy of movement in the left hand.

Following on from my last post you can see from my video that there is no movement of the fingers in the left hand during the first bar, and very little movement in the second bar.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Ere's me english bramble, played slowly and without the dampings (I'll put those in later). Does anyone else have sore fingers from all those pull offs?

Again some/many mistakes. somehow it seems harder to play it slowly. Using the capo on the 5th fret certainly helps though as the frets are closer together making the stretches easier.

I'm hoping to have it better by the end of the month.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Dave - thank you for the great comments and advice. I welcome all of your comments and teachings.

Ed

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu May 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 pm
Dave - thank you for the great comments and advice. I welcome all of your comments and teachings.

Ed
No probs Ed, how's the exam piece coming on? - are you going to post on the spanish forum?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Ere's me english bramble, played slowly and without the dampings (I'll put those in later). Does anyone else have sore fingers from all those pull offs?
Sounds great with the capo. Interesting to see the Samba demo too, folks will find that very helpful.
I'm avoiding this month as I don't want to wear the weak section in my nail.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am

Dave- the exam piece is coming along. My focus is to stay with a consistent timing through the many repeats of the movements. I tend to speed up on familiar sections then to slow down when I need to think about the next steps.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am
I Have just been rifling about in the cutlery draw looking for a very large pie slice. - Seems I need to cut myself off a very large slice of humble pie.

It appears you were right Chu - this month's pieces to seem to be somewhat on the hard side. But I can't say I haven't enjoyed the challenge so far. Like Ed, I still have a few/many errors but thought I'd put my Samba Lilly up to demonstate the economy of movement in the left hand.

Following on from my last post you can see from my video that there is no movement of the fingers in the left hand during the first bar, and very little movement in the second bar.

Youtube
This one sounds and looks good! I think the only excessive LH movement is at 0:50. For inspiration on economy of movement and effortlessness I recommend to watch Nicholas Petrou. It appears like he barely touches strings.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 pm
lesson 9 exercises - a few/many stumbles

barre

Youtube

Hi Ed, you definitely have enough stamina to go through the entire exercise :) It is getting a bit difficult and tiring towards the end.
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Andrei - thanks - I think it is less stamina and more focus on even pacing.

Ed

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri May 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Sounds great with the capo. Interesting to see the Samba demo too, folks will find that very helpful.
I'm avoiding this month as I don't want to wear the weak section in my nail.
Thanks Colin,

Sorry to hear your practice has taken a bit of a knock this month.

I lost a big chunk from my thumb nail so had to apply the nail glue and china silk to both sides and infill the gaps(multiple layers of glue). I keep wearing off the glue and the china silk becomes exposed, but its easy to re apply and dries quickly. I think I'm mainly playing with glue now rather than thumb nail, It's nice smooth glue though as I filed it down with an emmery board and then polished it off with 500 grit wet and dry.
Last edited by DaveMoutrie on Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Here is a link to a video on nail repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajcxf1WZe6w
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

Youtube
This one sounds and looks good! I think the only excessive LH movement is at 0:50. For inspiration on economy of movement and effortlessness I recommend to watch Nicholas Petrou. It appears like he barely touches strings.
Thank you Andrei - just watched Nicholas Petrou playing la catedral then watched my video back again - seems as if I have much work to do.

Ana Vidovic has it pretty much nailed as well - she really is a joy to watch.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun May 21, 2017 12:19 am

Here is my optional part of the assignment:

- page 80 ANONYME (ca. 1850) NESTA RUA

Youtube

Audio is recorded with Zoom H2n which sounds much better than built in phone mics :)
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 12:19 am
Here is my optional part of the assignment:

- page 80 ANONYME (ca. 1850) NESTA RUA

Youtube

Audio is recorded with Zoom H2n which sounds much better than built in phone mics :)

Sounds really great mate!

I think you have the levels spot on and the sound is nicely synched up with the video.

Now that you have some decent recording equipment, we can all hear how beautifully you play. You seem to favour a John Williams techniue with the right hand at right angles to the strings, whereas I tend to go for a bit more of and angle - more of a Julian Bream technique.

I enjoyed listening to you and look forward to hearing you play the other pieces. I think the vibrato worked well also.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun May 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Andrei

Wonderful

Ed Butler

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”