D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm
Colin, Dave -

With your comments I plan to use the summer to go through D01 and possibly D02. Would you recommend that I start at D02 in September or retake D03?

Ed
You should get through D01 over summer, then worth doing D02 sept onwards. In D01 play as many of the pieces as you can, I think it will help develop a fluency with the timings so you aren't needing to count, trying to do 2 things at once is probably slowing you down. I'm going to review D02 over the summer and the D03 exercises.
Some of us will be around if you need to post for comments.
Sounds like good advice to me. One thing I have found really useful is to record myself playing and then listen back to it while following the music - it often throws up mistakes I didn't realise I was making.

D03 was a lot harder than I expected it to be. When playing on my own, it was easy to convince myself that I was playing a lot better than I actually was - the forum has certainly put an end to that -which is a good thing as I can work towards improving.

I will look out for any pieces you post over the summer.

Keep up the good work Ed, but most of all have fun playing your guitar.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Colin, Dave - thanks. I plan to take your advice. Have started going through D01. I plan to post when I have "mastered" the exercises.

Enjoy the summer.

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm
Colin, Dave - thanks. I plan to take your advice. Have started going through D01. I plan to post when I have "mastered" the exercises.

Enjoy the summer.

Ed
I'll keep an eye out for your posts.
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am
Don't know if anyone else has had proplems - but I've been struggling to get a totally clean recording of the Samba.
No, I've only just started on these.
Your samba sounds quite good, but I suspect I will have problems getting a clean run through. I'll see how it sounds next week and perhaps post something.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm
Congratulations - Colin, Andrei, Chu, David, Teodora, Bert, Warley

I enjoyed spending the past 9 months with you.

Ed Butler
Thank you, Ed. I hope you'll keep your enthusiasm!
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 am

Very nicely played Andrie, I agree with you on the fingerings - in fact I think I used the same fingerings as you.
I can see the logic in the original fingering though: the original fingering minimises the distance the left hand has to move up the fretboard and as this is a fairly fast piece setting the metronome at 192, this may be significant.
Got it, makes sense.
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Also, when the capo is on the 5th fret, the frets are closer together so it is less of a stretch - although I still find the alternative fingering easier.

If you don't have a capo by the way, a biro and a couple of elastic bands works pretty well. If you can't get enough pressure, just use more elastic bands.
Great tip but I'm not sure I'll ever need to use capo again. This exercise was the first occasion.
DaveMoutrie wrote:
I like your slow and relaxed style of playing by the way, as I tend to rush things when the camera is on. Just a couple of errors: Bar 4 where the A should be played twice at the end of the bar and again in bar 16. In bars 8 and 12 we have a minim at the end of the bar which lasts 2 beats and again at the very end at bar 17 - I could wrong here though as I'm not very good at counting time.
Thanks for pointing out errors. I found these after the recording was published... Should have used the sheet music a bit longer...
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Don't know if anyone else has had proplems - but I've been struggling to get a totally clean recording of the Samba.

I recorded this last week while on holliday in darkest Yorkshire.

Youtube
Quite clean, just few minor inaccuracies, but all notes are there. I like the sound of your guitar btw.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

My submissions for 09 session. I didn't have much time to watch the sample or anybody's clips. So there are probably totally wrong notes/chords or missing repeats. Please easy on the comments!

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am
My submissions for 09 session. I didn't have much time to watch the sample or anybody's clips.
I'm only just starting on these so can't comment on detail, but yours looks far more advanced than mine.
Samba coming on well and you are handling some of the tricky stretches very cleanly.
Branle looks good too, more confident than the samba.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:

I recorded this last week while on holliday in darkest Yorkshire.

Youtube
Quite clean, just few minor inaccuracies, but all notes are there. I like the sound of your guitar btw.
Thank you for your comments Andrei - yes I got the rhythm wrong in one or two places.

I bought my guitar second hand as I couldn't afford a new one at the time. It's nearly 30 years old and has a few cracks and dints here and there (a bit like its owner) - but I think it has a more mature tone.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

Chu Bun wrote:
My submissions for 09 session. I didn't have much time to watch the sample or anybody's clips. So there are probably totally wrong notes/chords or missing repeats. Please easy on the comments!

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
You have a nice even rhythm and you are much more accurate than me.

The Samba looks pretty much spot on to me - you have none of the mistakes that I have.

I like the way you avoided the difficult stretch in bar 15 of the Branle Anglais by changing the fingering - I found that stretch really difficult as well and had to find some stretching exercises to acheive it. Perhaps the Branle was given to us in order to stretch us a bit.

Can't comment too much on the Jackaras as I haven't attempted it yet, but you chord changes look good and it sounds pretty slick to me. - I intend to have a crack at it in the next few days.

So, in summary - excellent effort, well done!

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 am

Here is my latest effort at the Bramle Anglais. As you can see I am still struggling a bit with the stretch in bar 15 despite playing it well below tempo.

Recorded on my ultra cheap Doogee X9 android phone so apologies for the video/sound quality.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 am
Here is my latest effort at the Bramle Anglais. As you can see I am still struggling a bit with the stretch in bar 15 despite playing it well below tempo.

Recorded on my ultra cheap Doogee X9 android phone so apologies for the video/sound quality.

Youtube
Even though there are some little hiccups all pull offs are very good.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Samba Lele: you got the rhythm right, no mistakes

Branle Anglais: trebles are a bit staccato, probably it would sound even better if notes flow into following notes without any interruptions. Otherwise - very good.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:30 am

Dave,

Your pull offs sounded good to me. Furthermore, the piece is supposed to be played with a capo at the V position where the frets should be much closer.

Thank you every body on the generous comments. About the staccatos in the Branle Englais, I was trying to imitate the sample clip. I believe monsieur Demcamp used his picking fingers to damp the strings and he did his dampings selectively. I used a combination of both picking and fretting fingers and damped wherever it's convenient. Similar effect, but his brought a period sound to the piece, while mine just sounded staccato!

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:13 am

Thank you for your comments Chu - I have already started on lesson 10, but plan to post these pieces one more time to cleear up the inaccuracies and post the remaining piece.

Planning to keep up the momentum over the summer period - hope you all manage to do the same.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”