D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: C major scale. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Youtube

Page 59: In the following exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes). Exercises 17 to 20 are for the fingers of the right hand. The sign (x) indicates that the right hand finger is placed on the string.
Exercise 21 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you start the new note.

D01 p59 n17

Youtube

D01 p59 n18

Youtube

D01 p59 n19

Youtube

D01 p59 n20

Youtube

D01 p59 n21

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 11 to 15
Anonymous: Doucement, doucement

Youtube

Anonymous: Jig

Youtube

Anonymous: London's burning, canon

Youtube

Anonymous: Une souris verte

Youtube

Anonymous: J'ai du bon tabac

Youtube

Anonymous: La tête bizarde

Youtube

Anonymous: Frère Jacques, canon

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Jig
La tête bizarde

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB), Dan (dng) and flameproof, who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Grayson Bray Morris
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am

Wow! I have my work cut out for me this month. :)

As with lesson 1, I'll need more than one week's practice before I upload my videos. I'll also be traveling for five days next week, and unable to practice. So I'll make sure to get a good start in the five days before I leave, and then dive back in when I get home on the 17th.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

that will be fine
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:47 pm

I thought I was getting ahead of the game. Oh well. It's good that the momentum stays strong. I'll fall behind but eventually will catch up.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am

Wow, those exercises on 59 are hard. Especially the ones in the boxes. That alone is worth a few weeks of practice. I didn’t realize how dependent my fingers are on each other.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58 pm

That's for sure. It's like my fingers have no concept of accepting instruction independently.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Timothy Morgan

Post by Timothy Morgan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 pm

I have been practicing and hope to get a new guitar to "augment" my old Alvarez. My practice area and recording setup needs work too, that will make it easier for me. Because of course my issues are due to the guitar... :lol: :lol: :lol: and not my incompetence!
1995 Alvarez Artist 5003
2009 Taylor 114e
1974 Epiphone Caballero FT-130 SB

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 am

If anyone else is having trouble with using some fingers while not using others I think I figured out a way to teach my brain to do it. I literally could not do it at first. But, if I do each finger individually and get faster and faster until they are nearly at the same time before attempting to do them all at once it some how makes it possible. My hope would be that if I keep doing that I will eventually be able to skip the warm up and go straight to using them at the same time.

I literally can’t do it without warming into it. It doesn’t matter how hard I concentrate on it. It’s the weirdest experience. My brain is telling my fingers to do one thing and my fingers just whatever the heck they want.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Angela,
I second your observations. It may be that because we did not teach our fingers to act independently early in life they may now be un-trainable. It's another case of the "old dog, new tricks" conundrum.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm

I don’t think we’re untrainable. After I do the build up I can do it. If I keep doing it that way eventually I will be able to do it without the buildup, I believe. You’re brain never stops building new synapses.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 pm

You are an inspiration and remind me of another old adage: " Try and try again."

I'm not sure about my synapses though.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am

Angela Carter wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am
Wow, those exercises on 59 are hard. Especially the ones in the boxes. That alone is worth a few weeks of practice. I didn’t realize how dependent my fingers are on each other.
Angela Carter wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 am
If anyone else is having trouble with using some fingers while not using others I think I figured out a way to teach my brain to do it. I literally could not do it at first. But, if I do each finger individually and get faster and faster until they are nearly at the same time before attempting to do them all at once it some how makes it possible. My hope would be that if I keep doing that I will eventually be able to skip the warm up and go straight to using them at the same time.

I literally can’t do it without warming into it. It doesn’t matter how hard I concentrate on it. It’s the weirdest experience. My brain is telling my fingers to do one thing and my fingers just whatever the heck they want.

I absolutely agree that those two exercises are very tricky. I've never really realised how little control over my middle and third fingers I have until this.

Good tip on splitting up the fingers initially Angela - I'm also finding that working on them for five minutes at the start of my practice session, then going back to them at the end after practising something else, helps. Having the break in the middle maybe gives my brain time to process what I've been trying to do. No matter the reason, I seem to find them (slightly) easier when I get back to them after a short break.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am

OK, I think I have it in the right place now. Thanks to Craig for helping me stay properly organized.

So, knowing that I have not reached any level of competence that I feel should be hoisted upon this group I am submitting my 2nd lessons.

Here is Exercise -20, page-59:

Youtube

Anonyme Jig:

Youtube

Anonyme La Tete Bizarde:

Youtube

I'm only subjecting you to this because I will be scarce for the next several weeks. Thanks for persevering.
I appreciate any comments.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am
OK, I think I have it in the right place now. Thanks to Craig for helping me stay properly organized.

So, knowing that I have not reached any level of competence that I feel should be hoisted upon this group I am submitting my 2nd lessons.

Here is Exercise -20, page-59:

Youtube

Anonyme Jig:

Youtube

Anonyme La Tete Bizarde:

Youtube

I'm only subjecting you to this because I will be scarce for the next several weeks. Thanks for persevering.
I appreciate any comments.
James
Your left hand fingers are flying, moving to far from the guitar board, and this not good. Guitar left hand is the same as piano left hand, you want your fingers as close as possible to the guitar board or piano keyboard.

time = distance over velocity . If the distance is long, then the time will be longer too. That means the speed is slow, you cant play fast tempo song.

I recommend you learn the basic first, practice scale, a lot .Beginner piano players spend most of their time practicing scales, too.

Please watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscIapGcJyQ
Happy practicing James.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Thank you for your comments Binh.

It is always surprising to me what observers can tell about an activity which you as the actionable person does not see. I believe Juan expressed this same realization when I pointed out that his right hand was in motion. That is one of the great values of sharing these lessons. I've spent 5 years practicing guitar and never thought about how much space my left hand was traveling. I especially appreciate you putting your observation in terms of classical physics. As I'm aging my reflexes are slowing so I must get a handle on reducing the distance. I will certainly study the video. Thanks.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”